The Student Room Group

Employer holding 100% payment :(

Im just looking for a bit of advice regarding money owed to me. Im not 100% sure I've posted this in the right place so sorry in advance!!

Was employed by a rather recognised company of a retail nature who I will keep anon. They took on six new employees and had one left by 10 days in.

I was employed by said company 18th-29th May and worked a total of 58hr 45min at a rate of minimum wage I have calculated that I am owed £361.81.

On the 29th May I posted my notice to them stating I was resigning with immediate effect and not able to work my weeks notice. The date of pay for this period falls on the 28th June. I am still in contact with two of the employees who were sacked within the ten day period and they have both been paid today, due to the pay day falling on a weekend.

I am holding off ringing ACAS until the actual pay date, which is tomorrow. But I am wondering if they have any grounds to hold my pay? Apart from not working my notice, (Which even if they deducted a weeks pay from me they still owe me) Ive scoured my contract and the only part in reference to this is that it states they reserve the right to deduct from my salary in the form of holidays, training cost (had none) and repairing loss or damage to the company.

Do they have any legal right to not pay me?

Also, just to add Im not afraid of hard work, I am already in another job. I left as the said company had terrible power mad management to the extent I have never seen before!
Of course They are fully entitled to withhold money in lieu of you not working your notice period.you don't have a leg to stand on with that.
They will have to pay you at some point as you can't work for nothing (especially when your contract states your rate of pay).

As always before trying to go legal routes phone them first and ask them about the situation. It may just be that there has been some confusion. Clearly you don't know why you haven't been paid (but agreed, wait until after tomorrow) and only they will know that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending