The Student Room Group

TSR Movie Madness!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome to the biggest event on TSR since the last competition of this type 3 years ago. I present to you... Movie Madness.

What is it?

Movie Madness is a knockout competition for films. Think of World Cup, but with all of the overpaid footballers replaced with moments of celluloid perfection. 64 films have been placed into groups and seeded and and the contest will proceed through with one film progressing from each match-up onto the next round until we have 8 group winners. The winners and Runner ups from each group will then go through to "the last 16" and face head to head knockouts until only one remains to be declared the victor. A TSR poll will decide the outcome of each match-up.

What films are involved?

It was debated long and hard as to which films should be included, we decided to start with the IMDB top 64 list of film but then looked at finding the best 8 films from 8 different genres so that groups could be formed. We tried to avoid multiple films from the same series(e.g Godfather 1,2,3) all being on the list and avoided brand new films since that often skews voting

The films taking part, with their groups and seeding in that group.

Spoiler

How long will this last?

We aim to start next Wednesday(July 9th). We're going to put up the voting rounds in batches initially so as not to overload everyone with polls. You will be able to vote on each pairing for three days, which should hopefully be enough time for everyone who wants to take part to visit the site without dragging on too long. You can see the expected tournament timeline in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Predictions

No good bracket would be complete without an element of competition, and that's precisely what this will offer. You'll notice I've attached the starting bracket to the bottom of this post - you can take this and fill it out with your predictions of how the competition will turn out until next Wednesday(July 9th). During the course of the tournament they will then be scored (according to the scoring points guide, see below) and there will be a leaderboard of members taking part. In the rare event that two people submit the same predictions bracket, only the first submitted will be counted (this is to prevent duplication and confusion).

There will even be TSR funded prizes to the winner. I have been given a budget and will be looking to purchase the TSR Movie Madness Winner on DVD for the winner amongst other prizes.

I am going to keep a record of everyone who has entered a bracket in the first post under this one. You can see my completed bracket in the post as an example of how to enter (simply upload your new spreadsheet with your username in the title onto a post).

Scoring chart

Spoiler

How can I get involved?

At the minute, the main goal is to let as many people know about what we are doing ahead of the start of the competition starting next Wednesday(July 9th). This has taken a not-insignificant amount of time for us to organise (shout out to just a dad, Kubrick and the Editorial team for helping and of course Phalanges for the original idea 3 years ago), and that workload is only going to increase over the next month, so we want to see this be as big as it possibly can be.

So fill out your predictions, discuss the match-ups you're most looking forwards to, and tell everyone on other parts of the site about this event that may not have heard to get as many people interested as there can be (perhaps even put the slogan or logo in your sig). Any questions you have about it, let me know.

64 films.
31 days.
8 Group winners.
1 Overall winner.
1,465,117 members.
1 vote each.
Make it count.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
My prediction bracket attached.

Some very tough choices of films to make .

I'm probably very wrong and i won't be eligible for prizes it's just to show you how it's done really.
Bracket for just a dad attached.
Reply 4
Original post by just a dad
Bracket for just a dad attached.

Think we have the same final 4 and winner but VERY different routes to get there. Interesting.

Especially in Animation our picks are completely different.
Reply 5
Attached
Reply 6
Original post by Davott
Attached

You're in!

Another Dark Knight winner but Fight club beating out Shawshank to make the final! Crazy. :tongue:

Also, everyone seems to be going for Finding Nemo over Wall-E. I found that a tough choice but i went for Wall-E.
Original post by Motorbiker
Think we have the same final 4 and winner but VERY different routes to get there. Interesting.

Especially in Animation our picks are completely different.

It's funny, on many match-ups I ended up picking the opposite to how I will actually vote. I really haven't got a clue as to how in-tune (or otherwise) I am with how TSR will actually vote.

TBH Animation was a bit of a coin-flip. My favourite modern animation, The Incredibles, didn't make the cut but I did think that Finding Nemo was pretty cute. So I thought I'd predict that to go on a bit of a run. Of course, it's now guaranteed to get knocked out early!
Reply 8
Original post by just a dad
It's funny, on many match-ups I ended up picking the opposite to how I will actually vote. I really haven't got a clue as to how in-tune (or otherwise) I am with how TSR will actually vote.

TBH Animation was a bit of a coin-flip. My favourite modern animation, The Incredibles, didn't make the cut but I did think that Finding Nemo was pretty cute. So I thought I'd predict that to go on a bit of a run. Of course, it's now guaranteed to get knocked out early!

I did that with some of mine where i thought "The majority of TSR would think this".

On some though they were ridiculously tough to choose. Think it was between Wall-E and Toy Story 3. It's stupid that the Animaitons caused me the most trouble but they're such awesome films with amazing stories and they do sucker you in and you get attached to them. Especially the toy story toys. ...

I ended up "going with my heart" on some choices which may well cost me overall but i wouldn't give myself the prize if i won anyway since i'm organising it. :tongue:
I've gone against how I would vote based on how I think other people will vote (particularly given the demographic). Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit but I reckon there'll be a bias to the more modern films. For example, Cuckoo's nest is infinitely better than American History X, but I'm not sure that the vote would go that way!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zappaisgod
I've gone against how I would vote based on how I think other people will vote (particularly given the demographic). Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit but I reckon there'll be a bias to the more modern films. For example, Cuckoo's nest is infinitely better than American History X, but I'm not sure that the vote would go that way!

You have? I see no attached Excel Bracket... Try again with the attachment.

Tbh i think you have to take the typical TSR audience into prospective when choosing winners. That's why i put Dark Knight as my winner overall.
Done.
(edited 9 years ago)
How do I attach a document?
How do I attach a document?

Use the advanced reply page. Scroll down uner "submit reply" is "manage attachments"...

Click that then upload file, then upload.
Original post by lilypear
Done.

Very nice choices!

Gone against the grain of others. Inception for the win and Up winning the Animation group. Some cool choices!

Now you need to join me in the promotion of the comp before it starts.
We have a target of 32 people that entered when this was done last time 3 years ago. Personally i want to hit 50 people.
Hopefully that's attached.
Original post by Motorbiker
Very nice choices!

Gone against the grain of others. Inception for the win and Up winning the Animation group. Some cool choices!

Now you need to join me in the promotion of the comp before it starts.
We have a target of 32 people that entered when this was done last time 3 years ago. Personally i want to hit 50 people.

I thought I wouldn't follow the crowd :wink:

How did you want me to go about promoting the competition?

Well if you want to hit people, maybe try join boxing? :wink:
Original post by lilypear
I thought I wouldn't follow the crowd :wink:

How did you want me to go about promoting the competition?

Well if you want to hit people, maybe try join boxing? :wink:

It could work very well tbh. And it's more fun. And you can join in the debate in each poll thread defending your choices! :wink:

I would recomend a link in the sig (like mine) and Casual mentioning of it in chatty areas of the site. e.g. backroom and chat.

Maybe PM close site friends you have as well telling them to come play. Or just quote them into this thread?

Nah, i'm no fighter. I'll stick to just lifting weights.
Hopefully that's attached.

Yep, that's good. Some very nice choices there!

I see you went traditional and picked Godfather for the win!
It's so difficult choosing :nooo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending