Head Boy Interview soon! Help! Watch

Vinny2698
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I've already had one Interview about being a Prefect and in that interview they ask if you want to be Head Boy or Head Girl. I've agreed to be Head Boy and luckily I've been short listed! So now I have to host a presentation about who I admire as a leader to my head Teacher and a bunch of other staff. I'm doing my presentation about Winston Churchill and how I am going to use his traits myself. I'm kind of nervous because I don't really know what to say or do! So please please please can you give me some helpful tips and advice!
Grace by Yahweh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vinny2698)
So I've already had one Interview about being a Prefect and in that interview they ask if you want to be Head Boy or Head Girl. I've agreed to be Head Boy and luckily I've been short listed! So now I have to host a presentation about who I admire as a leader to my head Teacher and a bunch of other staff. I'm doing my presentation about Winston Churchill and how I am going to use his traits myself. I'm kind of nervous because I don't really know what to say or do! So please please please can you give me some helpful tips and advice!

Have a look on line for some ideas

(e.g. http://www.bishopperowne.co.uk/sampl...speeches_march)

Rework/reword the parts you like into the way you speak, so it will sound natural.

Remember to speak clearly, stop and smile (if appropriate), stop and breathe, no one will notice small pauses and it will help keep you calm.

Try and memorise chunks so you can look up rather than reading it all, this will make you more confident. If you feel nervous then focus your eyes to a spot at the back of the room, on the wall for example.
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Grace by Yahweh;48366590]Have a look on line for some ideas

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely use them!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a lot of it is down to body language. people very quickly forget the words of a speech but will remember how you delivered them.

moving your arms and hands is important and also your head.
Stony Owner
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Grace by Yahweh)
Have a look on line for some ideas

(e.g. www.bishopperowne.co.uk/sample_of_head_boy_and_head_girl _speeches_march)
The second line I read was "if I was". Grammatically incorrect - should be "if I were". Careful using these online speeches.

My advice is to talk about what you are going to offer to them. See if you can slip in some things like "If I am becoming head boy, then you will find that...". Notice here how the language presupposes (assumes) you have already got it. Creates ambiguity.

Anything you can do to get their imagination in gear would be awesome. "Imagine it now. You have a concern, a problem. You're wondering who you can turn to. And then you come up to me. I'm receptive, I listen to what you have to say and then I respond with sympathy and compassion and we work towards a resolution together. That's why making the decision for me to become head boy is so important."

Just look at those kinds of language structures. See how much you can inherit them in your own speech. Make them imagine scenarios where you are doing really well. Use language presupposing you have already got it (don't say "I am going to become head boy" though or anything OBVIOUS like that - think more like in the sentences I've used above where I've introduced ambiguity).

EDIT: Watch Obama and people like that make speeches. How do they use their body and voice? Practise. It sounds mad but get a transcript of an Obama speech and practise delivering it like him. How can you deliver in the same way?

This might sound like overkill but you want to become head boy right? So it might be a good idea to spend the extra time and effort in this way.

The one last thing - of course you want this but I would strongly recommend not getting too attached to the outcome. You might get really nervous if you start saying things like "I need this or it will be terrible". Instead say to yourself, "I would love to be head boy but I can handle it if I don't get it. It won't be the end of the world". This is just inner stuff you're saying in your mind, but it stops you from becoming way too nervous and outcome-attached. And then your lack of neediness, coupled with your strong sense of confidence of body language and verbal language, will combine into a very strong and powerful display when you do your speech.
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
thank you all so much for the responses, I have the interview next Tuesday and I'll tell you how it all goes as soon as I get the results! Once again, thanks very much!
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Be super honest and say, 'sup brah, manz needs dis ting for mah UCAS personal statement, you feel me brah?'.

I'm sure they'll hand it over right away.
parisandrome
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wow!! incredible!! well done man! yay! feel so happy for you!
honestly, just be yourself. that is all anyone ever wants. it's hard to keep up something you are not.
you have already got so far in the process, you just have to keep going. they like you enough already! just show them that you are a real, true, kind and confident person behind the piece of paper. you will do great i am sure.
keep practising questions with anyone and everyone. practise in front of the mirror. just practise trying to speak about anything and everything fluently and eloquently and i am sure you will ace this. you are great. believe it and ace this interview.
you can do it.
the TSR mandemz are behind you <3
iStudent96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh, my interview is this monday and I am applying for the head boy role too!
I just need a little help, I need some example questions and answers that might be expected.
I am so bad at interviews, I get too awkward and baffled very quickly... So if someone could help me out with some tips, typical questions and reasonable answers, that would be awesome!
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
Ok, this is what I'm planning on saying in the interview/ presentation please tell me your opinion and I hope it helps anyone else!

I have chosen to do my presentation on Winston Churchill because he is an inspiration to me and others. Churchill once said ‘Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen’. I really admire this quote because I agree that it does take courage and confidence to speak to a large crowd which is definitely something I want to bring to the position of Head Boy. However, I agree that it takes courage to sit down and listen to people because they are putting their trust in you and they expect you to respect them back.
Sometimes things we are listening to are not what we necessarily want to hear like constructive criticism For example; a teacher gives you your piece of work back and tells you how to improve or you clean your room to what you think is tidy but your Mum tells you to keep on going.
Churchill was definitely someone who made others feel safe while he was in control, he united people and had shown them how to work together as a team. This is something I feel is important because through the toughest of times, he gave everyone hope and happiness. I’m not saying that our school has a few wars going on here and there, but what I am saying is that no matter how big the problem, I will do everything I can to stop what I’m doing and help.
Churchill acted as a voice for Britain and he was well aware of what was going on in his country. Whatever the citizens of England needed or thought, Churchill would make sure he could provide and help. I think this is an important role for a Head Boy because it would be my duty to know everyone’s opinion on any matter and see what I can do to help and make their thoughts be heard.
Winston Churchill inspired an incredible amount of people to work hard and do their best in the war and because of his great actions he will always be remembered. I don’t intend to send a bunch of students off to fight in the army but I do want to make a positive impact on the school and that is definitely something I intend to do if I become Head Boy.
Now, Imagine someone has a problem, they’re wandering who to turn to. And then they would come to me. I’m receptive, I listen to what others have to say and then respond with sympathy and compassion and we’d work towards a resolution together.
Personally, I think I am a very friendly and approachable person who won’t tackle a problem head on. I’m the kind of person who approaches a problem and views it from different angles/ points of view. This is a good skill to have because you can’t solve a problem until you have all views of the situation.
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
Hi iStudent96, I just wanted to wish you good luck with your interview and I hope you get through! I totally understand how you feel when you said that you get awkward and baffled. Just make sure you practice some of the basic questions like:
Why do you want to be head boy?
How will you help out?
How ill you balance exams and being Head boy?

As long as you keep practising questions like that, I'm sure you will be fine! Good Luck! Don't forget to post how the interview went as well!
iStudent96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi iStudent96, I just wanted to wish you good luck with your interview and I hope you get through! I totally understand how you feel when you said that you get awkward and baffled. Just make sure you practice some of the basic questions like:
Why do you want to be head boy?
How will you help out?
How ill you balance exams and being Head boy?

As long as you keep practising questions like that, I'm sure you will be fine! Good Luck! Don't forget to post how the interview went as well!
Thank you so much, I appreciate it!
I hope nobody took it in a way as if I was too lazy to think, it's just that interviews itself naturally is most definitely not my cup of tea haha. I will definitely practise those questions and tell you how I've done.

Good luck to you as well! Just had a look at your draft now and it looks pretty damn ready haha! Let us know how you've done too
iStudent96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hah, they told me my interview is tomorrow at 12:00, it wasn't today. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be today lol.
They told me they will ask questions like:
- Tell me a little about yourself?
- Why did you apply for this role?
- What do you think makes a good head boy?
- What personal qualities do you have that you can bring into the head boy role?

etc...
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=iStudent96;48400535]Hah, they told me my interview is tomorrow at 12:00, it wasn't today. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be today lol.

Lol mines at 12:10 I'm just trying to memorise it all now! (Panicking!)
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
Guess what everyone!? I got Head Boy! Thank you all so much for your helpful advice, I couldn't have done it without you all!
iStudent96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guess what everyone!? I got Head Boy! Thank you all so much for your helpful advice, I couldn't have done it without you all!
Wow congrats!!! Well done, the time and work payed off!

My interview today was decent, it surely wasn't the best but I did make some really good points on the spot haha. Now just got to present a speech throughout next week to the school and voting will begin on next Wednesday. I will find out around the 20th July if I am the Head Boy, or deputy, or even not in it (hopefully this option won't happen! lol)

But congrats once again!!
Vinny2698
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=iStudent96;48413602]Wow congrats!!! Well done, the time and work payed off!

Thank you! Lol don't worry about not getting in! I'm sure you will get the position of Head Boy due to all of your hard work and practice! Good Luck and once again, thank you all for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed