The Student Room Group

History dissertation

Hi,

I have just finished my second year at university and am heading into my third year in October. I am starting to think about the dreaded dissertation that I have to do based on primarily primary sources. We have been advised to do our dissertation on a very narrow topic, as these are usually the most effective. I am thinking of doing mine based on 'Liverpool's participation in the Battle of the Atlantic, German bombing of Liverpool docs and Liverpool's reaction'. or .. the evacuation of cheshire. I am finding it very hard to even imagine how its possible to write 8000+ words on one topic. Also I am finding it very hard to think of where to get primary sources from ... enough to do a dissertation on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by skeogh
Hi,

I have just finished my second year at university and am heading into my third year in October. I am starting to think about the dreaded dissertation that I have to do based on primarily primary sources. We have been advised to do our dissertation on a very narrow topic, as these are usually the most effective. I am thinking of doing mine based on 'Liverpool's participation in the Battle of the Atlantic, German bombing of Liverpool docs and Liverpool's reaction'. or .. the evacuation of cheshire. I am finding it very hard to even imagine how its possible to write 8000+ words on one topic. Also I am finding it very hard to think of where to get primary sources from ... enough to do a dissertation on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, seeing as that other thread was about 6 years old I've just moved this into a new thread of its own. :smile:

It helps to think of your dissertation as four 2,500 word essays. :smile: It's really not as scary as it seems once you start researching and writing!

Where are you studying? Lots of places will have museums and libraries with primary sources for you to study. I would advise choosing a subject where there is likely to be enough primary sources - so your subject sounds good! I'm sure Liverpool will have tons of stuff lying about :wink:. You should also take a trip to the National Archives at some point. You can take pictures of sources to study at a later date.

Once you start researching your question will take shape, so I think it's best to be a little bit flexible with your ideas! It's good to read a lot of secondary sources to get an idea of where the historiography is and what you can do to add to the collective research. (That's why you do a literature review!) :smile: Secondary sources are really good for narrowing down your area of focus, too.

So don't stress about not having it all mapped out exactly at this point in time, just start researching. :smile:

Final piece of advice: Be super organised when note taking, studing sources - otherwise you'll have a nightmare when it comes to doing the footnotes/bibliography.
Reply 2
I'm about to go into second year and I've never really understood how you can write 8000+ words on such a narrow topic either, not specifically your topic but any narrow topic in general, sounds impossible to be honest. Good luck to you. :cool:
Original post by Ruffiio
I've never really understood how you can write 8000+ words on such a narrow topic either, not specifically your topic but any narrow topic in general, sounds impossible to be honest.:cool:

You need to have a chat with this guy. :wink:
Reply 4
Hi :smile: Thanks for that, I realised this was a years old but as I'm new to this site I wasn't sure how to move it into a new thread.

That's very true when you put it like that,

I am studying at the University of Chester. but live in between Chester and Liverpool. I think i'll take you up on your advice and do just that, I'm on holiday soon so might take some secondary resources with me and read around the topic, ready for when I come back.

Where did you study and what did you do your dissertation on if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you very much for your time and advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending