Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone else know klingon? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started to learn elvish, but my brain forgot it or something...
    I'm going to try again, as well as dwarvish.
    Never thought about learning klingon though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I started to learn elvish, but my brain forgot it or something...
    I'm going to try again, as well as dwarvish.
    Never thought about learning klingon though...
    Klingon is the langwitch (i know thats spelt wrong) of the universe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Klingon is the langwitch (i know thats spelt wrong) of the universe.
    language btw...

Anyway, how do you know?
    Maybe there isn't a universe, maybe there is.
    Maybe there are other races, maybe they aren't.
    But i doubt any universe would choose something as geeky as klingon as its language.

ReputationRep:
    language btw...

Anyway, how do you know?
    But i doubt any universe would choose something as geeky as klingon as its language.
    There has to be alliens out there. We can't be the only planet in the whole universe that has life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    There has to be alliens out there. We can't be the only planet in the whole universe that has life.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    why? The conditions needed for life are very specific. yes there are a lot of stars and planets etc. but there is a lot of difference between them available and it is not unreasonable to assume that we are the only one out of perhaps billions of planets to harbour life.

ReputationRep:
    language btw...

Anyway, how do you know?
    what is klingon btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    what is klingon btw?
    Simply put, a race of aliens from star trek.

ReputationRep:
    Simply put, a race of aliens from star trek.
    ok- so there are some people who, not content with dressing up in wierd clothes and putting on pointy ears, have to try and start learning an imaginary language. what is the point? it's difficult enough to learn german or french- but at least they could be useful.

ReputationRep:
    ok- so there are some people who, not content with dressing up in wierd clothes and putting on pointy ears, have to try and start learning an imaginary language. what is the point? it's difficult enough to learn german or french- but at least they could be useful.
    Klingons don't have pointy ears....
    Anyway, there isn't much point, except that its something unusual.
    Thats why i want to learn elvish. Its something different.

ReputationRep:
    why? The conditions needed for life are very specific. yes there are a lot of stars and planets etc. but there is a lot of difference between them available and it is not unreasonable to assume that we are the only one out of perhaps billions of planets to harbour life.
    But it's like you said. There are well over a billion stars and planets out there. Some of them have to be able to support life and some has have to evolved to their living conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Klingons don't have pointy ears....
    Anyway, there isn't much point, except that its something unusual.
    Thats why i want to learn elvish. Its something different.
    but you said it was from star trek- didnt someone on star trek have pointy ears?

ReputationRep:
    but you said it was from star trek- didnt someone on star trek have pointy ears?
    Only Spock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    But it's like you said. There are well over a billion stars and planets out there. Some of them have to be able to support life and some has have to evolved to their living conditions.
    But why do they have to have life forms?
    Let alone sentient ones, and communicating with language etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    why? you have to have a planet not too big or the gravity will squah you. not too small or you can't hold on to the surface. not too near the sun or you'll be fried. not to far way or you'll be frozen. the atmosphere must not be too thick or too thin. the days not too long or too short. The star must not be too big or too little- and must be stable. it is generally agreed that there must be water on the planet to sustain life- and if you think about it only 1 out of 9 planets in our solar system alone has water. These criteria and others make it very unlikely that there is life on other planets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Only Spock.
    is that another species?

ReputationRep:
    is that another species?
    The vulcans did, which is another species, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Only Spock.
    Spock certainly wasn't the only klingon character in Star Trek, so that is simply wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The vulcans did, which is another species, yes.
    :confused: so the spocks are vulcans?

ReputationRep:
    :confused: so the spocks are vulcans?

No, spock is the name of a vulcan.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.