Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    why? you have to have a planet not too big or the gravity will squah you. not too small or you can't hold on to the surface. not too near the sun or you'll be fried. not to far way or you'll be frozen. the atmosphere must not be too thick or too thin. the days not too long or too short. The star must not be too big or too little- and must be stable. it is generally agreed that there must be water on the planet to sustain life- and if you think about it only 1 out of 9 planets in our solar system alone has water. These criteria and others make it very unlikely that there is life on other planets
    Thats why i said some not all. And you are mistaken about that. NASA are getting very close to discovering life on Mars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    But why do they have to have life forms?
    Let alone sentient ones, and communicating with language etc.
    God, i was only kidding about the Klingon thing, why are you taking it so seriously.

ReputationRep:
    ....These criteria and others make it very unlikely that there is life on other planets
    but possible, and given the size of the universe it becomes very possible that such a combination has occured elsewhere to support life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Thats why i said some not all. And you are mistaken about that. NASA are getting very close to discovering life on Mars.
    That could mean anything.
    Being 'close' doesn't mean there is some there, otherwise they'd have found it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    but possible, and given the size of the universe it becomes very possible that such a combination has occured elsewhere to support life
    THANK YOU. You see, MattG agrees with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    God, i was only kidding about the Klingon thing, why are you taking it so seriously.
    I'm just asking how it would be concevable, disregarding the improbability of other life forms on other planets in the first place, and the larger improbability that they would communicate through language in the same way humans do, that the chances of them speaking klingon is.... 2^(infinity - 1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    It may be possible, but is it probable?

ReputationRep:
    That could mean anything.
    Being 'close' doesn't mean there is some there, otherwise they'd have found it.
    I was talking about mirco orgasims. And judging from the fact that they havn't landed a probe on Mars yet, thats why they havn't discovered it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just asking how it would be concevable, disregarding the improbability of other life forms on other planets in the first place, and the larger improbability that they would communicate through language in the same way humans do, that the chances of them speaking klingon is.... 2^(infinity - 1).
    I said there were alliens out there. I never said that they were intelligant. They may be only simple creatures, but they are still alliens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I was talking about mirco orgasims. And judging from the fact that they havn't landed a probe on Mars yet, thats why they havn't discovered it.
    I assume you mean organisms, rather than orgasms...
    Yes, but it doesn't mean that when they do they will find something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    but they have landed stuff on mars- I have a pic. and in any case- if they find any- maybe they were brought from earth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I said there were alliens out there. I never said that they were intelligant. They may be only simple creatures, but they are still alliens.
    But surely they have to have some level of intelligence to speak klingon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    *aliens. and if they were noly simple creatures then could they speak klingon?

ReputationRep:
    *aliens. and if they were noly simple creatures then could they speak klingon?
    So that means then that you can speak klingon. Cos you are so much more than a simple creature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    So that means then that you can speak klingon. Cos you are so much more than a simple creature.
    No. To speak klingon, as you claimed, would mean they would have to have intelligence, with the knowledge to communicate through language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I can't speak klingon- I've never learnt- I'm having enough trouble with GCSE german and nordic

ReputationRep:
    It may be possible, but is it probable?
    of course none of us are qualified to say so. but to think that the creation of something only ever happens once and in one place only is in my mind irrational.

the universe is so vast that all combinations of planets/poisitoning/etc etc are possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    of course none of us are qualified to say so. but to think that the creation of something only ever happens once and in one place only is in my mind irrational.

the universe is so vast that all combinations of planets/poisitoning/etc etc are possible.
    Well to me, its irrational to say either way, as the only way of knowing is knowing.
    Because mere reasoning can prove that nobody exists, and i don't think that is true somehow, although i don't know how i could tell if i was wrong.

Not all combinations are possible, but most are, i agree.

ReputationRep:
    Because mere reasoning can prove that nobody exists,
    how?

ReputationRep:
    how?
    Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy..... (or at least as close to it as i remember)

If the universe is infinite (assuming it is of course), there is infinite planets in it.
    But as not all of these planets are populated a finite number are populated.
    And this finite number, divided by the infinite number of planets that exist, as when you divide anything by infinity its so close to zero you can take it as such, means the number of populated planets for every unpopulated one is zero, meaning there are no populated planets, meaning nobody exists.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.