The Student Room Group

Best unis for film studies

Scroll to see replies

Ok, nice advice, thanks very much. Can someone tell me if Glasgow are good for those courses.
Apparantly King's are launching a straight Film degree this year.
Reply 42
OppressedMass
Apparantly King's are launching a straight Film degree this year.

They are indeed, but the requirements for the subject are the same as warwick’s film studies course without the impressive staff and research people and without the history of doing the course. Personally I still stand by my selection of Sussex, Warwick and Ox Brookes being the best in the country. Though I am sure kings will get a lot of applicants just because it's kings.
the department is long established as part of American Studies, which is ranked as one of the best in the country. staff are excellent, I take a minor in film.
Reply 44
I have picked Staffordshire as my firm for film :smile:
Reply 45
Furthermore if anyone else has applied for Film at Staffs, do please pm me and maybe we can chat on msn
Phranky

I don't want to be a kill joy here, but Film Studies won't get you "a job" (which is nearly all freelance anyway - ie you work for yourself) as a cinematographer, director, or art director. Practical experience will stand out more than theoretical stuff, that's why I'm doing Film and Broadcast Production (60% practical) and plan to head over to the London Film School to do an MA in Filmmaking (which costs £31,000 - which is worth it) in 4 years after I've completed one or two years at a media production company.

Keep on doing your Film Studies degree because it will show you know what you're talking about but you absolutely must get out there and make your own short films or gain experience in some other way. As for books, I recommend 'An Introduction to Film Studies' which is a thick book full of all sorts of good stuff.

thanks for the advice :smile:

by the way I'm also planning to go to the LFS!
Heartbreaker
While I respect that you are studying the subject because you enjoy it, its hardly going to get u a good job.

maybe the person who's studying film is studying it because they have an interest in it, love the subject, and don't particularly care about what job they have at the end of it - they just don't want to spend 3 years studying something they hate all for the sake of a good job.

i did film at A level and i loved it. i'm doing media at uni in september and i've been told the same thing "MICKEY MOUSE DEGREE!" - whatever. i enjoy it, and i'd rather study something i enjoy for three years than spend the three years wishing i'd never bothered.
onceandneveragain
maybe the person who's studying film is studying it because they have an interest in it, love the subject, and don't particularly care about what job they have at the end of it - they just don't want to spend 3 years studying something they hate all for the sake of a good job.

i did film at A level and i loved it. i'm doing media at uni in september and i've been told the same thing "MICKEY MOUSE DEGREE!" - whatever. i enjoy it, and i'd rather study something i enjoy for three years than spend the three years wishing i'd never bothered.

well said!

:biggrin:
aleathiel
well said!

:biggrin:

haha thank you, i was a bit riled up though so sorry if it came across as arsey hah!
i just hate how people study something to get a good job. god, just study something you love!
Reply 50
I t hink you find people that call it a mickey mouse subject/degree usually either

1: Have never done it
2: Don't understand it.
Exactly how much of a difference in quality is there likely to be in studying film at Kings or Warwick?
Reply 52
Audrey Tautou
Exactly how much of a difference in quality is there likely to be in studying film at Kings or Warwick?

I can't really answer this as i have been on neither courses, but warwick you have the 2nd or 3rd longest running Film Stud department along with some impressive staff. At kings it's a brand new course for this year so in effect you will be the guinea pig year, but as OppressedMass says the film studies department has been part of the Kings american studies department since 2000. The actually uni’s are entirely different as well, do you want to be in central London or on a campus uni etc etc…
Yeah. And it seems Richard Dyer is actually based at KCL now as well.

I haven't been able to find out the applicants per place or indeed the number of places for Warwick. King's is an impressive 20 applicants per place for 10 places with 9 staff - though quite how they have got their figures I don't know.

Anyway this could all be a moot point as my decision from Warwick is still pending.
Reply 54
Ive applied to do straight Film Studies at Queen Mary's. I have recieved offers from all my toher universities but am still waiting to hear back from QM which is my first choice (if I get an offer!) Was wondering if anyone has received an offer from QM or studies there and could tell me a bit about the course? x
Reply 55
I have heard that the UEA is extremely good for Film Studies, which I have applied for along with American Studies. And I've applied to Oxford Brookes.

I had conditional offers from both :biggrin:!!
Reply 56
I do American Studies at Nottingham and I get to do Film Studies modules and I love them. I can definitely recommend it. Film is in the same department and I don't remember why I didn't apply to do joint honors Film and American Studies now.. Must've had a reason. But I do enjoy my Film modules :smile:
Reply 57
Glasgow has a Film and Television Studies course that is no more of a 'mickey mouse course' than any other creative arts courses
Reply 58
Anyone know what the film studies course at Portsmouth is like?
If you are serious about studying film, then go to a real film school in the US. The entire program at Warwick and KCL are just the basic core of what we have here. The school I go to has over 200 courses and it's an undergraduate program. KCL has 17 and Warwick has about the same in comparison. Learning basic film theory isn't going to impress anyone in the industry and to assume that it's going to get "your foot in the door", as one poster said, is laughable. You have a better chance of "making it" by starting off as a P.A. with no degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending