The Student Room Group

Best unis for film studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
aristademis
If you are serious about studying film, then go to a real film school in the US. The entire program at Warwick and KCL are just the basic core of what we have here. The school I go to has over 200 courses and it's an undergraduate program. KCL has 17 and Warwick has about the same in comparison. Learning basic film theory isn't going to impress anyone in the industry and to assume that it's going to get "your foot in the door", as one poster said, is laughable. You have a better chance of "making it" by starting off as a P.A. with no degree.

Film studies is different to film making, people that want to make movies go and do practical courses. Film studies is about research and writing, and it really doesn't matter where you do it as long as you have access to a good library of films, writing on films and good teachers. The best place to do really detailed film studies would not be the US or the UK but France, particularly a university in Paris with good access to the Cinémathèque Française. Shame my French is incredibly poor so that's out the window.
qwerty18
Film studies is different to film making, people that want to make movies go and do practical courses. Film studies is about research and writing, and it really doesn't matter where you do it as long as you have access to a good library of films, writing on films and good teachers. The best place to do really detailed film studies would not be the US or the UK but France, particularly a university in Paris with good access to the Cinémathèque Française. Shame my French is incredibly poor so that's out the window.

Thanks for the clarification. What would be the use of a degree in film stidies. other than film critiquing?

Have you considered Rosetta Stone or taking French language courses? I have an interest in working in Europe once I have a few years of experience under my belt. I'm currently using Rosetta Stone to get my German up to par and will continue with French.
Reply 62
I do film and Television Studies at Northumbria. I really enjoy it. I think it depends whether you want to do theory film studies or practical work as to which institute is best.

As for the whole debate going on about Film Studies being pointless. I think any degree is worth it if you enjoy your time, if you go to do something which could get you a 'good job' as some say then you wont necesarily enjoy it. I'd never studied film or anything before i went to uni, i went out on a wim because i didnt know what i wanted to do at uni and am glad i did. For me ive learnt things that actually HAVE interested me as opposed to being bored in lectures.
Reply 63
aristademis
Thanks for the clarification. What would be the use of a degree in film stidies. other than film critiquing?

Have you considered Rosetta Stone or taking French language courses? I have an interest in working in Europe once I have a few years of experience under my belt. I'm currently using Rosetta Stone to get my German up to par and will continue with French.

The aim of getting my film studies degree is to go into teaching the subject.

Film critique/journalism is another possibility directly stemmed from a theoretical degree, along with research and library work. Though with any degree it gives you skills you're able to transfer to almost any job really. I'd love to get my foreign languages up to par and by taking electives when i start university i hope i can.

It all depends on what you want to do and i have to agree with you. If you want to make films - learning basics and then just going out there and doing it yourself or starting as a assistant and working upwards is a great way to go about learning the trade. In the end with film making you could be a great director/script writer/cinematographer etc - but if you don't get out and show your work and make the contacts you're dead in he water.
Reply 64
atomheartbrother
Hey man, don't worry about it. The subject gets a lot of bashing so we're used to it :smile: I just wanted to explain my own personal view of things and I think you can see that.

Cheers for the rep and the reply post, if anyone was mature there it was you.

how do you give someone rep??
i dunno how O___O

aww such a heartwarming few posts of growing maturity and apologies :OP
wooow. I see a lot of people are doing Film studies.
I really want to have a Film&Television, etc, degree, but my parents think it's pointless. But I really want to make films, or work on TV. Working as a journalist would be great too, so Film&Journalism degree suits too. But. My parents are totally against it. :frown: they say there are too many people, who study this and it's hard to find a well-paid job for everyone. Only a few earn a lot of money, but I think it's the problem of every job, not everyone can become rich and famous!
But the second problem is, that I'm an international student, so I'm afraid that my English isn't good enough :frown:
Reply 66
Hi, I've just applied to 5 Uni's for various film type courses. (BA)

I applied at Westminister, Creative Arts at Surrey, Arts Institute at Bournemouth, Kingston and Southampton Solent.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know what the courses are like at these particular uni's? And if anyone is planning to do a film degree this year/next year?

Also, I was originally going to go for something more practical, but am now considering changing and studying the theoretical side of film. I eventually want to get into the film/media industry, however I am not sure exactly what i want to do.

Thanks
Reply 67
If you want to get into production then a film or television production course is what I would recommend as you would be effectively building a portfolio and have better resources. Not to mention uni's that offer production courses tend to have stronger links e.g. work placements.

hmm and I got negged for this a year after I wrote it without a name or comment, pussy >.<
Original post by Turdburger
While I respect that you are studying the subject because you enjoy it, its hardly going to get u a good job.

A good job being...? An underpaid teacher who goes home and works in to the early hours of the morning? A lawyer so I can live to work rather than work to live? Some well paid job that I find horrendously boring?
I've wanted to be in the film industry, in particular editing, since I was 11 years old, so to be perfectly honest, I think film studies will get me a good job. I'm good at it, I enjoy it, and most of all, the film industry is one of the few job places which has actually made more income since the recession seeing as people are trading going out for an expensive meal for going to the cinema and cuddling up for a film, therefore there are more 'good jobs' in the film industry than ever before.
Just because a subject doesn't have equations and politics does not make it any less important for peoples futures and careers or else the course wouldn't be run. I hope you find a job that is good for you on a different course, but personally, I think film studies will help me find a job that's good for ME.
Reply 69
Original post by capriceIam
wooow. I see a lot of people are doing Film studies.
I really want to have a Film&Television, etc, degree, but my parents think it's pointless. But I really want to make films, or work on TV. Working as a journalist would be great too, so Film&Journalism degree suits too. But. My parents are totally against it. :frown: they say there are too many people, who study this and it's hard to find a well-paid job for everyone. Only a few earn a lot of money, but I think it's the problem of every job, not everyone can become rich and famous!
But the second problem is, that I'm an international student, so I'm afraid that my English isn't good enough :frown:

Hi capriceIam, your parents are right. Studyting film or TV does not get you much further in terms of getting a job in either field than studying English or Maths. There is little chance you will build a long term career in either industry and that is more the case in Film and TV than most areas of work.

Parents aren't always wrong you know!
Original post by mermania
film studies is a waste of time wherever you do it :laugh:

no it is not and that was not funny. why would you click on this page if you were not even interested in the topic to begin with?

:/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending