Depressed as ****, please someone give me some advice

Watch
po10tial
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I am in a situation where I may turn to things that I have never taken.

Basically, I have the option to work for a year as part of my sandwich course, however, I am 50:50 about this.

Part of me is saying not to do it, and then another part of me is saying to do it.

Most of my mates are doing it, so that means that if I don't do it, I won't be seeing them next September.

I am aware of the benefits of doing a placement, however, I just don't think I'm to it.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by po10tial)
Hi,

I am in a situation where I may turn to things that I have never taken.

Basically, I have the option to work for a year as part of my sandwich course, however, I am 50:50 about this.

Part of me is saying not to do it, and then another part of me is saying to do it.

Most of my mates are doing it, so that means that if I don't do it, I won't be seeing them next September.

I am aware of the benefits of doing a placement, however, I just don't think I'm to it.
Here comes what your expect but...

I would do it because it gives work experience and most places are looking for people who have experience rather than a degree but no relevant work experience in the work place. =l
po10tial
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaTango)
OP. This.

Now that there are so many graduates to every job, employers value graduates with work experience much more than they ever have.
Fair enough. What happens if the job is not relevant to what I want to do in my future career? Would it have an impact in the future, even though my work experience was different
po10tial
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Here comes what your expect but...

I would do it because it gives work experience and most places are looking for people who have experience rather than a degree but no relevant work experience in the work place. =l
Good point. What happens if the job is not related to my future career/aspirations?
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good point. What happens if the job is not related to my future career/aspirations?
Depends, what does the job involve?
Any job is useful in at least SOME aspects.
Your job could involve working in a team/group which could give you valuable skills in that dept.
Or the ability to work well under pressure.
The ability to communicate.

There are TONNES of options available.
Hell, it COULD even give you a good reference from a past employer.
po10tial
Rep:
?
Depends, what does the job involve?
Any job is useful in at least SOME aspects.
Your job could involve working in a team/group which could give you valuable skills in that dept.
Or the ability to work well under pressure.
The ability to communicate.

There are TONNES of options available.
Hell, it COULD even give you a good reference from a past employer.
Thanks for the motivation . It means a lot.

Thing is, I fear the workplace because I haven't really worked a 'proper' job before in an office.

Can I get bullied in an office? I fear the workplace
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the motivation . It means a lot.

Thing is, I fear the workplace because I haven't really worked a 'proper' job before in an office.

Can I get bullied in an office? I fear the workplace
People can and will look for any reason to bully anyone should an opportunity present itself or if they're just horrible people.

If your too pretty
If your ugly
If your tall
If your short
If your blonde
If your teeth are wonky

Bullies pick out any little nitty gritty object, the point is to ignore them or avoid them.
However, people TEND to outgrow this stage. I never came across bullying at sixth form (unless you count the obvious stereotype humour as bullying).
po10tial
Rep:
?
People can and will look for any reason to bully anyone should an opportunity present itself or if they're just horrible people.

If your too pretty
If your ugly
If your tall
If your short
If your blonde
If your teeth are wonky

Bullies pick out any little nitty gritty object, the point is to ignore them or avoid them.
However, people TEND to outgrow this stage. I never came across bullying at sixth form (unless you count the obvious stereotype humour as bullying).
Thing is, I am scared I will be bossed around and told off a lot.

I want to work in an environment that is relaxed and friendly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (83)
38.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
10.7%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.98%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
23.72%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.56%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.44%

Watched Threads