The Student Room Group

RAF Medical Officer

I'm currently going into year 11 at high school, my target grades and predicted grades are:

English - Target : A* Predicted : A
English Lit - Target : A* Predicted : A
Mathematics - Target : A* Predicted : A
Science (Triple) - Target : A* (Core) A* (Further) Predicted : A* (Core) A* (Further)
Business comms - Target : A* Predicted : A*
French - Target : A* Predicted : A
History - Target : A* Predicted : A*
ICT - Target : A* Predicted : A*
RE - Target : A* Predicted : A*

I can attach a picture of my most recent school report if anyone who can help wants me to.

i would just like some information on what to study for A-Level or any tips on GCSE courses that helped anyone else. I'm black belt in Yamabushi Ryu a form of ju jitsu and have two years in the army cadets where I went on to teach lessons and do first aid courses.

Im quite fit thanks to the ju jitsu I'm doing, over 40 press ups a minute, about one sit up every one to two seconds (I've been doing it for 5 1/2 years), and I occasionally run, in which I can do a mile in about 7:36.

Im an 'Enterprise Leader' as they put it at school which is a senior prefect who is in charge of different areas of school as well as a team of prefects to manage. I get on very well at school with both the academic side and sports side.

I really want to do medicine at university with an Raf sponsorship, as I don't think Is have the money to pay for university fees, and that I also want to be a medical officer in the RAF. Do I have the potential at this stage to possibly go on to be sponsored by the RAF for a medical degree? I'd love to have as much in detail feedback as possible, all goes towards my future career...

What do you think?
Reply 1
Yes you definatly have the potential at this stage.

I was in a similar position to you. The best thing to do is to go to your nearest career's office and book an appointment, ask to speak to the most senior officer. Also if you want to join the RAF you need to look into joining the Air Training Corps instead!

I neary aplpled for a scholarship myself the I found out that you can't join with a nut allergy.

Is that any help? I can go into more detail if you would like
What does the scholarship entail? Is there any fees I have to pay?
Reply 3
This is the page that concerns you. I'd recommend that you get the download there too.

If you got it prior to joining university then you're doing ok, but a long way to go before then.

Join the ATC, it's a little more focused and you'll get access to more relevant experience, but there's nothing inherently wrong with being in the ACF instead, as long as during RAF interviews you could explain why.

Quick Reply

Latest