Should I ask for antidepressants? Watch

snowystarks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
I've been feeling okay recently but now I suddenly feel empty and I'm sick of how I'm lit my life.
I think it's because I'm spending my summer holidays alone in the house as my friends are away. I feel like I'm wasting my summer, and my life.
Basically I think it's because I'm lonely, that's normally when I feel bad. But the worst emptiness I feel is right after I see friends. Somehow I feel even more alone after I see them.
For this reason I think it's more about depression than loneliness, I don't think that's normal.
I've seen two counsellor's and they don't really help. I'm fine most of the time (I've tried CBT) but it's times like his when I just feel so empty.
It's been going on for around 5 years, luckily it's better now. But is it time to see a doctor? Or should I keep trying CBT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A future Midwife
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
5 years is a long time but if it's better now then I'd keep trying the CBT!
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm very similar. I get very lonely and down when I'm not around friends and just after I've seen them.

Anti depressants might help, I'd say they're worth a try given you're 5 years into this problem and still have it. They won't solve the problem but they can help you feel a bit better until the problem is solved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Antidepressants generally aren't "happy pills", they don't magically make you happy. Rather they lift your motivation and mood enough to sort out your problems yourself (it sounds more like you may have situational depression than a chemical imbalance (easiest way of putting it)). With that in mind, if you're still lonely when on them they might not going to help all that much. BUT you've been suffering for 5 years so maybe they're worth a shot. I'd keep up the CBT though regardless.
snowystarks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Antidepressants generally aren't "happy pills", they don't magically make you happy. Rather they lift your motivation and mood enough to sort out your problems yourself (it sounds more like you may have situational depression than a chemical imbalance (easiest way of putting it)). With that in mind, if you're still lonely when on them they might not going to help all that much. BUT you've been suffering for 5 years so maybe they're worth a shot. I'd keep up the CBT though regardless.
Thank you the CBT helps but sometimes there are moments where I feel completely low to the point that life's not worth living. It's those moments where I don't think positive thoughts can help, as it's not my thinking but instead just emptiness...

Posted from TSR Mobile
neverforget88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Feeling empty is one of the symptoms of depression, and if you feel that low even if it's just now and again, I'd definitely get it checked out.

I'm in a debate myself about anti-depressants, I was on citalopram for over a year but never addressed my problems any other way and don't feel much different - so there are still mental health issues that I need to overcome. Medication can only do so much to fix chemical imbalances, so I'd carry on with the CBT aswell and find the root of your problem

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Believe me, if its gone on for 5 years,it may well go one for a lot longer. What you have to do is recognise it and develop strategies to deal with it. After a while the pain becomes less and less and you are better equipped to deal with it.
circleduck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Sorry to hear how you are feeling . I suffer with depression and went to the doctors because of it. When I was there (this was about 2 and a half years ago) they actually recommended talk therapy as well as AD. I ended up having both. Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of anti depressants out there, and it can sometimes take a try of a few to find a one that suites you. Have you thought about doing counselling and giving it another go? there are loads of counsellors out there, and like AD's, you need to find a one that you are happy with. I have seen quite a few counsellors and some were good and some were not so good. It's just a case of seeing the right one!

But whatever you do, Remember it WILL get better.

Also, is there no way of moving closer to family?

Take care!
KrazyKoala
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think CBT does much at all. It asks to put rigidity into your thoughts and actions, but that rigidity makes things dull and boring.

Antidepressants might help, they might not. Depends on the person. I think a lot of it is down to the placebo effect, if you think it'll work, will probably work.

A way to improve the situation is to constantly keep yourself busy. Exercise, especially the gym is a great way to do this (if you can afford it). Get focused on exercise, it'll tire yourself out and you'll receive the boost that exercise gives you. When I'm down, I often just do exercise. Takes my mind off it, makes me tired, so much that your mind wavers from the depression/loneliness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads