Domestic violence WORLD CUP Watch

drewBusby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

Looks like the demonisation of men continues. The google glasses one was funny, but this one takes the biscuit.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That stat isn't very clear. Does it mean immediately after they go out? If so, then what do you expect, they can hardly beat up their wife while they're watching the game so they do it after instead,
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)

Looks like the demonisation of men continues. The google glasses one was funny, but this one takes the biscuit.
Not really. It's a very serious issue that's far to easy to trivialise. Domestic violence really isn't joke material.

Whether or not adverts like these are the best way to combat it I'm unsure, perhaps ones that advertise the fact that safe refuges exist would make more of a difference.
snowyowl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I think they're great.

What exactly is it you dislike about them? It hardly states "ALL MEN WILL BATTER THEIR WIVES BECAUSE ENGLAND ARE OUT", it simply highlights the fact that there are men out there who will take out their frustration on their wives.
the_lost_boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They also take it out on their kids. As a young boy growing up in America (where American football is taken so seriously that players can get away with rape, battery, murder, etc.) I learned to hide in my room and pretend to sleep whenever it looked like the game wasn't going in our favour. If I happened to be within my father's line of vision when the team messed up I'd get a beer-can (or worse, bottle) to the face. People are pigs when they're drunk and filled with sports-rage. The stats sound accurate to me, but my view is admittedly a bit skewed.
drewBusby
Rep:
?
(Original post by snowyowl)
I think they're great.

What exactly is it you dislike about them? It hardly states "ALL MEN WILL BATTER THEIR WIVES BECAUSE ENGLAND ARE OUT", it simply highlights the fact that there are men out there who will take out their frustration on their wives.
I think they leave to much for interpretation. It just leaves more room for man hating.
jam278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So what are we supposed to do then? Let England win every game. Stop people from drinking and watching a game? Monitor the movements of football fans.

If they'd beat their wives after losing a football match, they'd beat them up regardless anyway. Lets extrapolate that, if those guys have a bad day at work(or on the dole) then they'd beat their wives, if somebody beat them up, they'd beat their wives. If they're scummy enough to beat their wife after a football game they'd beat them up regardless.

Stupid advert is stupid and it's just putting the beautiful game into disrepute.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think they're great.

Well that's obvious. If we're making stupid adverts telling people what they'd already know then why not start adverts telling people someone will be killed today

Posted from TSR Mobile
DCFCfan4eva
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think they're great.

Because they make it seem that it's only men who abuse their spouses which is complete crap
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
WHICH PROTEIN SHAKES UR FAV, ROONEY-9-MUTD?

PS: Nice pecks.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its interesting.
Several years ago a thing started like this about the superbowl in the usa .It started with NBC, but followrd by most of the media ran ads etc saying dv stats soared during the superbowl. Nobody questioned the source until one reporter Ken Ringle of the Washington Post decided to do his job and contacted the original source.
She said that her figures had been missused by a feminist group and she had been trying to set the record straight but nobody wanted to know.Turns out the was no significant increase in DV during the bowl. Sorry I have no links.
These latest figures come from a normally reputable source, Lancaster uni. afaik.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think they're great.

What exactly are the adverts doing? If a man beats up his wife because England lost the football then he's most likely mentally ill and isn't going to listen to some advert. Maybe a better idea would be to have adverts that advise women to try and get help if their partners are bat**** crazy.
drewBusby
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingBradly)
WHICH PROTEIN SHAKES UR FAV, ROONEY-9-MUTD?

PS: Nice pecks.
The usual

milk + pb + oats + chocolate matrix whey :cool:
drewBusby
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingBradly)
What exactly are the adverts doing? If a man beats up his wife because England lost the football then he's most likely mentally ill and isn't going to listen to some advert. Maybe a better idea would be to have adverts that advise women to try and get help if their partners are bat**** crazy.
yh

I would prefer to a see a gender neutral ads, educating the audience on charities/organisations who deal with domestic violence victims.
No point just stating the obvious. We all know there are criminals.

Its just a general pattern with feminism.
Gang rap reported, bring up rape culture all men are potential rapist. Campaign will consist of the following, stop all violence against women, teach men not to rape.
Feminists are either naive or succubuses.
brownsugar-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the_lost_boy)
They also take it out on their kids. As a young boy growing up in America (where American football is taken so seriously that players can get away with rape, battery, murder, etc.) I learned to hide in my room and pretend to sleep whenever it looked like the game wasn't going in our favour. If I happened to be within my father's line of vision when the team messed up I'd get a beer-can (or worse, bottle) to the face. People are pigs when they're drunk and filled with sports-rage. The stats sound accurate to me, but my view is admittedly a bit skewed.
have some love bby i know how it feels <3
brownsugar-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can anyone find any statistics for those claims btw?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whereas pretty much any other sports fan isn't violent. I can't remember the last time a cricket match or rugby or F1 caused people to riot and be hooligans. The term 'Football hooligan' is rather like saying 'a male man'.
rad_student
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brownsugar-xx)
can anyone find any statistics for those claims btw?
The paper sans pictures is at http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/65383/2/cdworldcup.pdf (DA= domestic abuse)
It does begin with a biased/incorrect gendered viewpoint of boys become violent when seeing DA & girls seeing DA become future victims! Erin Pizzey noticed that >60% of women were just as violent as the men they were leaving.
It does indicate social explanations of "feminist-led research, have focused on wider cultural factors, specifically the imbalance of power between males and females" & give high unemployment is a factor of DA. High unemployment is also associated with above average male suicide & women increasing their beauty (as less hight status men available 75% of Women Say They Won't Date Unemployed Men).

It does indicate other factors like drinking (I think especially Summer drinking where high heat/low hydration means drunk & loss of control quicker), & that it is a trigger for violent people. That is true during rugby, when a male friend refused to go to the city centre if England lost.

They surveyed Lancashire Constabulary with 1.4M people, "average number of incidents reported on the days England played was 79.3, compared with 58.2 on the days they did not play" - 36% increase.
Also just before a major programme (action films as well), this seems to be the time some female partners start get distracting, its like they want to compete with it & want attention just then. Not sure what that is called.

Kirby et al., does mention correlation with USA football, (probably same reasons for that as well) http://www.ejfi.org/PDF/Super_Bowl_hoax.pdf (there is 1 for prostitution http://www.laweekly.com/2012-02-02/n...stitution-hoax)

Edit
(Original post by caravaggio2)
... Ken Ringle of the Washington Post decided to do his job and contacted the original source.
She said that her figures had been missused by a feminist group and she had been trying to set the record straight but nobody wanted to know.Turns out the was no significant increase in DV during the bowl. Sorry I have no links.
These latest figures come from a normally reputable source, Lancaster uni. afaik.
This 1 is probably what he wrote, as it was a long time ago! http://www.skepticfiles.org/urban/hoaxbowl.htm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLkc5430lGM#t=2m38s - watch at 2:38 for the Doritos Ad. How times change...?
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
RadSaid.......This 1 is probably what he wrote, as it was a long time ago! http://www.skepticfiles.org/urban/hoaxbowl.htm

Thankyou for that rad, Very informative,
Its enough to make you wonder about the validity of these new figures.
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I can't take a film seriously that has problems constructing a simple sentence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.6%
No (522)
72.4%

Watched Threads