The Student Room Group

Premed experience during summer?

Hi guys! I'm currently in the summer before sixth form, waiting on my GCSE results. I have decided to do medicine (with hopefully good grades *fingers crossed*) and apparently the one thing as important as grades to get in is the right extra-curricular.

As a sixteen year old, what premed experience can i gain this summer that would make me a good applicant for my UCAS? Also, is the "shadowing a GP" organised by the school? What can i do right now in these two months that would be appropriate experience and make me a good candidate?
Original post by Millie-3
Hi guys! I'm currently in the summer before sixth form, waiting on my GCSE results. I have decided to do medicine (with hopefully good grades *fingers crossed*) and apparently the one thing as important as grades to get in is the right extra-curricular.

As a sixteen year old, what premed experience can i gain this summer that would make me a good applicant for my UCAS? Also, is the "shadowing a GP" organised by the school? What can i do right now in these two months that would be appropriate experience and make me a good candidate?

Work experience is the most important thing. You will have to sort it out yourself. You need to start emailing around to ask for placements. Extra circulars are up to you, you just need to show leadership, teamwork etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Hippokrates
Work experience is the most important thing. You will have to sort it out yourself. You need to start emailing around to ask for placements. Extra circulars are up to you, you just need to show leadership, teamwork etc.

Thanks :smile: do you have any specific examples of work experience and placements i could apply for?
Thanks :smile: do you have any specific examples of work experience and placements i could apply for?

Just email GP practices and hospital work experience departments. You'll get rejected a lot but keep asking. Look at the profile thread if you want to know examples of what people have done.

DON'T GO TO PREMED. I went with 5 friends, we all agreed it was the biggest waste of money. They said not to voice record anything, but I recorded it all :colone: Not going to post it online ofc, just for personal use if needed. Which I can tell you, it was not.
Reply 5
Original post by Hippokrates
Just email GP practices and hospital work experience departments. You'll get rejected a lot but keep asking. Look at the profile thread if you want to know examples of what people have done.

(I feel stupid asking this) where is the profile thread?

I'd advise being proactive and getting into contact with the GP yourself. Perhaps your regular Doctor can help you. Get your mum to also ask. Has you considered even in the administrative roles such as shadowing begin the counter? Taking the phone calls and being the first point of contact over the check in desk is also a great opportunity to gain experience to develop your interpersonal skills wih a diverse range of people old young challenging ect.

I'd also advise you to check 'Barts' out which is a scheme for people interested in medicine. It maybe radiology that you do or theatre observation, but they have a lot of things to offer there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by fajitamunch
DON'T GO TO PREMED. I went with 5 friends, we all agreed it was the biggest waste of money. They said not to voice record anything, but I recorded it all :colone: Not going to post it online ofc, just for personal use if needed. Which I can tell you, it was not.

Is that some kind of program? Im just talking about the general premed experience, as if before applying for medicine. And it sounds pretty s**t D:
Reply 8
Original post by Acrostics
I'd advise being proactive and getting into contact with the GP yourself. Perhaps your regular Doctor can help you. Get your mum to also ask. Has you considered even in the administrative roles such as shadowing begin the counter? Taking the phone calls and being the first point of contact over the check in desk is also a great opportunity to gain experience to develop your interpersonal skills wih a diverse range of people old young challenging ect.

I'd also advise you to check 'Barts' out which is a scheme for people interested in medicine. It maybe radiology that you do or theatre observation, but they have a lot of things to offer there.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I live quite far from London (which is where Barts is located if im not wrong) so i cant avail of that...
X

I think medicine personal statements as well may help. I know some people who went abroad to help their medical ventures. After the AS year they went to places in Asia helping Doctors there. Not sure what the scheme was called, but I will get back to you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Acrostics
X

I think its called GAP medics orsomething
I think its called GAP medics orsomething

Waste of money, counts for nothing on your application, don't bother. Just put the effort in instead of the money. The profile thread is a sticky on the medicine forum.
Also, is the "shadowing a GP" organised by the school?

If you go to a private school then frequently yes. Otherwise, no.

Voluntary work is just as/more important than work experience, and generally easier to get. Nursing homes, other organisations that help the disabled, that kind of thing.

Try your hardest re hospital work experience. Some have a particular place to apply to, but others don't. If they don't, have absolutely no hesitancy to e-mail lots of different people, be persistent even if they say no - that's how you get them to notice you, and they can't exactly complain if they haven't even bothered to create a specific program.
Reply 13

Hi Millie-3, I would advise you to work on your extra curricular activities which will help you to develop your leadership/teamwork/organisation/time management skills. You also have a good chance at this moment in time to work on getting some long term voluntary work before you send off your application next year. I'd also recommend trying to get some experience with a GP/Nurse/Pharmacist/Physiotherapist/Occupational Therapist or anyone who works in health and the community. Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending