Holly2595
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My 1st choice is Briarfields en-suite (preference of flat being noisy and mixed) can anyone give me any indication as to what it is like? I'm just worried I might end up in a flat of people who might not be very social/ enjoy going out as I like to get involved in tonnes of stuff and enjoy nights out.
Also, has anyone else put this as their first choice?

My second choice is Cambridge and I'm considering emailing mmu and asking whether I can swap both my first and second choices around as I've heard Cambridge has an amazing atmosphere.
jdfoster00
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got the same problem. I emailed mmu and they said if I email them with a new list of preferences they will swap them for me. I like my own personal space but also love going out and being sociable. I went to the open day last Wednesday and to be honest Cambridge hall's looked really small and very hostel like. But Oxford/Victoria had a more warm, personal look and where much bigger and more live-able. I want a social experience but at the same time want a decent living environment. I put Briarfields as my second choice (preference of flat being noisy and mixed).

Might bight the bullet and go for Cambridge. Do you know whether you can change hall's when you're living in a place? Like if I don't like cambridge after two weeks and want to move to oxford Court or Briarfields?
Holly2595
Rep:
?
(Original post by jdfoster00)
I've got the same problem. I emailed mmu and they said if I email them with a new list of preferences they will swap them for me. I like my own personal space but also love going out and being sociable. I went to the open day last Wednesday and to be honest Cambridge hall's looked really small and very hostel like. But Oxford/Victoria had a more warm, personal look and where much bigger and more live-able. I want a social experience but at the same time want a decent living environment. I put Briarfields as my second choice (preference of flat being noisy and mixed).

Might bight the bullet and go for Cambridge. Do you know whether you can change hall's when you're living in a place? Like if I don't like cambridge after two weeks and want to move to oxford Court or Briarfields?
I know what you mean, my brother has just finished his first year at MMU and he lived in Cambridge. He said the room size and the fact that they share toilets didn't bother him and that he's had an amazing year living there. That kinda reassured me as I wasn't too sure on the bathroom situation.

I'd be worried that with Oxford/ Victoria only having four residents to a flat that it could potentially be quiet.

I decided to email MMU's accommodation department and switched Cambridge and Briarfields around so now Cambridge is my first choice and Briarfields is my second.
Holly2595
Rep:
?
(Original post by jdfoster00)
Sorry forgot to answer this in my previous reply! I'm not sure whether you can change actual halls but I do know if you're unhappy with your flat/ flat mates you can make a complaint and move flats within the halls. I'm assuming if they had any room in a flat in another hall, they might possibly move you.
jdfoster00
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Holly2595)
Sorry forgot to answer this in my previous reply! I'm not sure whether you can change actual halls but I do know if you're unhappy with your flat/ flat mates you can make a complaint and move flats within the halls. I'm assuming if they had any room in a flat in another hall, they might possibly move you.
Hmm yeah. I always love meeting new people so I'm thinking I will stick with Cambridge Hall's. I don't mind the shared toilets and smaller rooms as I've had a lot of experience from living at hostels whilst backpacking around Australia and New Zealand and I had an amazing experience. Met so many new people but living for a long time in Cambridge might drive a bit insane haha depending on what type of people are in my flat and who I meet along the way. Will have to just wait and see what happens I guess. I just wish that Cambridge had a living/communal area instead of just a kitchen area though.

See you at Cambridge maybe in September
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads