This discussion is closed.
operato
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
the road up and down is one and the same?

does anyone believe that in everything there is always an equal and opposite reaction? and that the unity of the two makes up the world?
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no the world is unfair and people get away with all sorts of things all the time. Take the holocaust, where was the opostie for that?
Sanctus
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by operato)

does anyone believe that in everything there is always an equal and opposite reaction? and that the unity of the two makes up the world?
The aim of unifying opposite-pairs to form a higher synthesis that transcends the dualism is a perennial centre-piece of mysticism, both in the West and East. As well as the mystical philosophy of Taoism and the occult philosophy of Alchemy, Heraclitus, Nietzsche (“beyond Good and Evil”), and Carl Jung were thinkers who sought to unify the “two into one” (a phrase repeated in the Gospel of Thomas, an ancient Gnostic Gospel).

A slightly different approach is to deny that dualisms such as good v evil, light v darkness etc exist. This way of transcending the opposites by dissolving them is embraced by Buddhism.
operato
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Sanctus)
The aim of unifying opposite-pairs to form a higher synthesis that transcends the dualism is a perennial centre-piece of mysticism, both in the West and East. As well as the mystical philosophy of Taoism and the occult philosophy of Alchemy, Heraclitus, Nietzsche (“beyond Good and Evil”), and Carl Jung were thinkers who sought to unify the “two into one” (a phrase repeated in the Gospel of Thomas, an ancient Gnostic Gospel).

A slightly different approach is to deny that dualisms such as good v evil, light v darkness etc exist. This way of transcending the opposites by dissolving them is embraced by Buddhism.
hey, i like you... but i see everything as one... the birds, the trees, the sun, the moon, the stars...
Sponge Bob
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by operato)

I think stuff just happens for no reason...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (132)
46.32%
Take exams next summer (44)
15.44%
Change uni choice through clearing (69)
24.21%
Apply to uni next year instead (26)
9.12%
I'm not applying to university (14)
4.91%

Watched Threads