Playing the UK Lottery

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ramboman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am thinking about setting up a Direct Debit to play the UK Lotto.

Now I know how outrageous the odds of winning are but I can spare a few pounds per week and thought I'd give it a go...

If you had say £6 per week (3 lines), what would be the best way of playing it - put it all on 1 draw on the Wednesday or the Saturday? Or spread it over 2 draws? I understand they do a raffle where 20 people can win £50,000 on each draw - is it worth spreading it over 2 draws to maximise chances of winning this? Also, do you get more entries into the raffle the more lines you do?

Again.. I know it's far-fetched, but if I'm going to play then I wan't to give myself the best chance. I would do Lucky Dips, so that I could cancel it if I wanted to further down the line. If I picked the same numbers, then I would never be able to cancel out of fear that they might come up!

I'm all ears as to people's thoughts on the best way to go about playing?.. though I wouldn't like to spend more than £8 (4 lines) per week.
jamez870
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't bother seriously, I work in a newsagents and the number of people that come in every week and spend £10+ and never win anything is huge, it's not worth it
ramboman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I appreciate that it's a long shot to win anything... I was just curious as to how I could maximise my slim chances!
Movember
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't play the lottery. You're throwing money down the drain each week because your chances of winning are close to non-existent.
Idle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ramboman)
I appreciate that it's a long shot to win anything... I was just curious as to how I could maximise my slim chances!
Invest in something that actually has a reasonable return.
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're better just putting a couple of bets on at the bookies once a week or so.
blueskyblue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Idle)
Invest in something that actually has a reasonable return.
If it wasn't the lottery it would be alcohol , ciggarettes , sweets , chocolate , a dvd , fast food etc We all "throw money down the drain" in some way , i don't see a £2 investment getting any sort of reasonable return either.

The odds are ridiculous , you all are right . But either way , people have still won it , winning life changing amounts such as £170 million IIRC .
Idle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blueskyblue)
If it wasn't the lottery it would be alcohol , ciggarettes , sweets , chocolate , a dvd , fast food etc We all "throw money down the drain" in some way , i don't see a £2 investment getting any sort of reasonable return either.

The odds are ridiculous , you all are right . But either way , people have still won it , winning life changing amounts such as £170 million IIRC .
Might as well stick the direct debit to go into an ISA rather than lottery tickets.
ttoby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to maximise your chances of winning then don't play the lottery - play some other gambling game instead.

If you want to maximise your expected/average winnings then it would work out better if you don't play at all.

If you want to play just for fun then choose things that you'd enjoy and don't spend too much. I see you're considering spending about £6 per week - that's £24 per month. Subtract the average winnings and compare that to the cost of, say, a Spotify subscription. Also try not to get in to a situation where you're afraid to stop for some reason. Then it would no longer be fun.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The odds of winning the UK national lottery are just below 1 in 15mil.

In terms of winning the jackpot, I guess mathmatically it makes more sense to bet on one draw 3 times than to split it since then you are reducing the odds to 1 in 5mil per week rather than 1 in 15mil + 1 in 7.5mil?
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
The odds of winning the UK national lottery are just below 1 in 15mil.

In terms of winning the jackpot, I guess mathmatically it makes more sense to bet on one draw 3 times than to split it since then you are reducing the odds to 1 in 5mil per week rather than 1 in 15mil + 1 in 7.5mil?
No, it doesn't matter how you split it. Each ticket still has a 1 in 15 million chance regardless of which draw it goes in.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
No, it doesn't matter how you split it. Each ticket still has a 1 in 15 million chance regardless of which draw it goes in.
If you buy one ticket in a draw, you have a 1 in 15mil chance.

If you buy two tickets in a draw, you have a 2 in 15mil chance.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
If you buy one ticket in a draw, you have a 1 in 15mil chance.

If you buy two tickets in a draw, you have a 2 in 15mil chance.
Yeah... you also have a 2 in 15 million chance if you have a ticket in two separate draws
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (141)
14.33%
I'm not sure (42)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (295)
29.98%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (481)
48.88%

Watched Threads