TheAthena
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am doing an analysis of The Tyger by William Blake, and don't know whether to describe it as an apostrophe or not.
The definition of an apostrophe is 'a direct address to an inanimate object, absent person, or abstract concept; talking to something that cannot respond'.
The tiger that is being questioned by Blake is not inanimate, or a concept etc. but IS something that cannot technically respond in the way Blake is asking it to in the poem.
So- can u call The Tyger, an apostrophe?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheAthena)
I am doing an analysis of The Tyger by William Blake, and don't know whether to describe it as an apostrophe or not.
The definition of an apostrophe is 'a direct address to an inanimate object, absent person, or abstract concept; talking to something that cannot respond'.
The tiger that is being questioned by Blake is not inanimate, or a concept etc. but IS something that cannot technically respond in the way Blake is asking it to in the poem.
So- can u call The Tyger, an apostrophe?
Hi, I've studied this poem, you could argue that it is a concept and therefore an apostrophe, since Blake uses the Tyger as a metaphor for all the misery in the world, contrasting it with the Lamb. Blake contemplates 'did he who make the lamb make you' (something like that) how could a god create something so pure and innocent like the lamb alongside something as powerful and as harmful as the tyger.
The questions are mostly rhetorical, Blake is asking the audience to reflect on these propounding questions - so you could argue it is an apostrophe
TheAthena
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)
Hi, I've studied this poem, you could argue that it is a concept and therefore an apostrophe, since Blake uses the Tyger as a metaphor for all the misery in the world, contrasting it with the Lamb. Blake contemplates 'did he who make the lamb make you' (something like that) how could a god create something so pure and innocent like the lamb alongside something as powerful and as harmful as the tyger.
The questions are mostly rhetorical, Blake is asking the audience to reflect on these propounding questions - so you could argue it is an apostrophe
Thank you! I am calling it an apostrophe in my analysis. Considering that the tyger itself is technically an 'abstract concept', like you say, it would be an apostrophe I suppose. Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (616)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (767)
42.05%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (361)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.39%

Watched Threads