Maths Research Project for Keen A level Students Watch

arrow900
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was wondering if there were any opportunities for A Level students to undertake research projects in Mathematics.

I know that A level Mathematics is not sufficient for such a project, hence I would happily learn new mathematics in order to have a chance of solving the problem in question. I often do a few a Maths competition questions but I have now lost interest and motivation in such problems as they often require me to gain quite a bit of knowledge in areas of Maths that are now quite ancient i.e learning theorems about points in a triangle.

Yeah so just wondering if any do exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WishingChaff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your best bet is to email your local university regarding math research. However, I would say at this point that you should just read undergraduate mathematics, as you will not be much use to any academic with your current knowledge. I am happy to recommend some books to you if you wish. What level are you currently at? Also, do you have a field of mathematics you are specifically interested in?

(Original post by arrow900)
I was wondering if there were any opportunities for A Level students to undertake research projects in Mathematics.

I know that A level Mathematics is not sufficient for such a project, hence I would happily learn new mathematics in order to have a chance of solving the problem in question. I often do a few a Maths competition questions but I have now lost interest and motivation in such problems as they often require me to gain quite a bit of knowledge in areas of Maths that are now quite ancient i.e learning theorems about points in a triangle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
arrow900
Rep:
?
(Original post by WishingChaff)
Your best bet is to email your local university regarding math research. However, I would say at this point that you should just read undergraduate mathematics, as you will not be much use to any academic with your current knowledge. I am happy to recommend some books to you if you wish. What level are you currently at? Also, do you have a field of mathematics you are specifically interested in?
Yes I've considered doing that seeing as I have a year left till university, but I find that I lack the motivation if I do not have a problem that I am working towards. I enjoy doing elementary number theory problems but I don't know how this translates at an Undergraduate level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's very unlikely you'll be able to do any worthwhile research in number theory, purely because it's such an old area of mathematics you need to have studied Galois theory (which isn't covered until third year into an undergraduate degree, and relies quite heavily on 1st/2nd year algebra) and then covered the algebraic number theory using Galois theory. I doubt there's any mathematicians doing research into NT from an elementary approach (and there probably hasn't been for the last 100 years).
arrow900
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noble.)
It's very unlikely you'll be able to do any worthwhile research in number theory, purely because it's such an old area of mathematics you need to have studied Galois theory (which isn't covered until third year into an undergraduate degree, and relies quite heavily on 1st/2nd year algebra) and then covered the algebraic number theory using Galois theory. I doubt there's any mathematicians doing research into NT from an elementary approach (and there probably hasn't been for the last 100 years).
Yes you are right of course but I want to have the experience of doing research rather than do anything that will actually add to the field of mathematics ( my knowledge of mathematics is far too limited for this to be possible). Anyway I doubt such a program exists, especially in the UK as this country doesn't seem to keen on Maths research. It would be quite interesting if it did though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by a "research project"? If you would like to obtain an additional qualification through independent learning, the Extended Project might fit the bill. If you are talking about developing something worthy of publication in a peer-reviewed journal then probably not.
BabyMaths
  • Study Helper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Noble.)
...I doubt there's any mathematicians doing research into NT from an elementary approach (and there probably hasn't been for the last 100 years).
How about this?

Paul Erdös (1949), "On a new method in elementary number theory which leads to an elementary proof of the prime number theorem"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...01544-0034.pdf
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BabyMaths)
How about this?

Paul Erdös (1949), "On a new method in elementary number theory which leads to an elementary proof of the prime number theorem"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...01544-0034.pdf
Stop it!

You know perfectly well that "elementary" to a mathematician is completely opposite to a normal person's definition of elementary
FireGarden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes of course. It seems most people in this thread think you mean academic research on par with professionals and PhD's! Though I think (and hope) you meant simply "mathematical questions for me to answer for myself, research-style".

Here's a list of questions a lecturer at my university wrote up, which he described as "Open ended first-year level problems": http://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/sta...ourses/inv.pdf

The only problem that immediately has something alien about it to an A level student is question 2. If you read up about groups, and specifically the 'symmetric groups', then the question will make sense.
arrow900
Rep:
?
(Original post by FireGarden)
Yes of course. It seems most people in this thread think you mean academic research on par with professionals and PhD's! Though I think (and hope) you meant simply "mathematical questions for me to answer for myself, research-style".

Here's a list of questions a lecturer at my university wrote up, which he described as "Open ended first-year level problems": http://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/sta...ourses/inv.pdf

The only problem that immediately has something alien about it to an A level student is question 2. If you read up about groups, and specifically the 'symmetric groups', then the question will make sense.
Yeah that's exactly what I have been looking for. Except I wanted to know if there was something that is more formal where we can discuss it with an actual teacher, but I think I'll just look at those since I don't think it exists.
Thanks a lot BTW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.07%
No (458)
72.93%

Watched Threads