The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3880
Original post by mismash
can i ask you what u got in ur as??

I got ABC but retook one of the units for what I got c in. So I'm pretty confident I'll get either bbb or Abb
whats roughly the lowest grades could you can get into Pharmacy with, in clearing? At difference unis
Original post by ankitaa123
whats roughly the lowest grades could you can get into Pharmacy with, in clearing? At difference unis

Tbh it really varies from uni to uni and year to year, I know last year the national avg was lower than usual so the grade expectations in clearing were also lower. But I think anything higher than BCC (maybe even CCC in some cases) should be possible, but again don't take my word for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lowest I heard of last year was BCD & CCC I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends really, they may take low grades if they see something in you especially in personal statements or if they are your first choice
Keep positive!
Make sure you get a B in Chemistry at the very least if you want a very good chance of getting a place via clearing, it has been the case for the last few years so I don't see why this year would be different.
Original post by pharmacywhy
Hey, first of all congrats for your invitation :smile:
Did you send them an email asking about the status of your application or did they send you an email first asking you if they should withdraw your application?

They sent me an email saying if I should withdraw my application :smile:
Hey guys,
How necessary is it to have work experience?
I'm finding it really hard to find any work experience that is pharmacy related; I currently work as a Supermarket Assistant (for a year) and I've had about two weeks worth of dentistry overshadowing, is it worth writting about this in my personal statement?
Original post by annabelflynn
Hey guys,
I'm finding it really hard to find any work experience that is pharmacy related; I currently work as a Supermarket Assistant (for a year) and I've had about two weeks worth of dentistry overshadowing, is it worth writting about this in my personal statement?

Having work experience is great because you can draw from it and it shows that you want to prep for your future but it is hard to come by so don't worry too much, you can mention it (the dentistry) but it has nothing to do with pharmacy, mention the supermarket assistant
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys,

You don't need it- I got 5 offers without it :smile: They did ask in the interview why I didn't have any and I just said I tried but nowhere would take under 18s/ non-Pharmacy students due to licensing and that was perfectly understandable.
The supermarket assistant is worth talking about (I did!) as you've worked with a range of people and had to deal with customers in stressful situations.
I've firmed Manchester and insured Bath with an offer of AAB and ABB respectively. Right now I'm seriously doubting that I would even touch the Manchester offer and maybe I will reach the Bath offer depending if their lenient or how the rest of my exams go. If I don't reach my offer (say I received ACC or BCC) would I have to apply again and go through all the interview process again? Or would they know that I passed the interview stage and give me the same offer I just had? And what if I had a C in chemistry would I be at a disadvantage of applying again since I didn't get a B or higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
You don't need it- I got 5 offers without it :smile: They did ask in the interview why I didn't have any and I just said I tried but nowhere would take under 18s/ non-Pharmacy students due to licensing and that was perfectly understandable.
The supermarket assistant is worth talking about (I did!) as you've worked with a range of people and had to deal with customers in stressful situations.

Oh okay, thanks! Would it be worthwhile mentioning the dentistry work experience or not really?
Out of curiously, which uni did you end up going to?
Oh okay, thanks! Would it be worthwhile mentioning the dentistry work experience or not really?
Out of curiously, which uni did you end up going to?

It's a healthcare environment and you can say how they always put the patient first and adapted their treatment and approach (like their attitude and how they talk) based on an individual basis. This really links in to Pharmacy!
I've firmed Cardiff with Keele as my insurance so hopefully I'll end up in one of those two! :h:
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
It's a healthcare environment and you can say how they always put the patient first and adapted their treatment and approach (like their attitude and how they talk) based on an individual basis. This really links in to Pharmacy!
I've firmed Cardiff with Keele as my insurance so hopefully I'll end up in one of those two! :h:

Oh that's good, my two weeks of work experience won't go to complete waste :')
Oooh I wanna go to Cardiff (still doing my AS's), what was the interview like??
Original post by Rhyss01
I've firmed Manchester and insured Bath with an offer of AAB and ABB respectively. Right now I'm seriously doubting that I would even touch the Manchester offer and maybe I will reach the Bath offer depending if their lenient or how the rest of my exams go. If I don't reach my offer (say I received ACC or BCC) would I have to apply again and go through all the interview process again? Or would they know that I passed the interview stage and give me the same offer I just had? And what if I had a C in chemistry would I be at a disadvantage of applying again since I didn't get a B or higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had bath as my insurance last year and didn't meet my offer, I emailed the admissions tutor and they said that they'd extend my offer, all you have to do is apply through UCAS again and they'll probably have taken note of your name somewhere. I didn't have to go for another interview or anything which was lucky :smile: But I've decided to firm Cardiff this year although I don't think I've met my offer again due to yesterday's chem4 paper :frown:
Original post by chanel96
I had bath as my insurance last year and didn't meet my offer, I emailed the admissions tutor and they said that they'd extend my offer, all you have to do is apply through UCAS again and they'll probably have taken note of your name somewhere. I didn't have to go for another interview or anything which was lucky :smile: But I've decided to firm Cardiff this year although I don't think I've met my offer again due to yesterday's chem4 paper :frown:

Thanks, so I should ring them on results day maybe? WJEC paper by any chance? Because I had CH4 yesterday and it wasn't a really nice paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
Thanks, so I should ring them on results day maybe? WJEC paper by any chance? Because I had CH4 yesterday and it wasn't a really nice paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you could ring them! I tried to do that though and I couldn't get through all morning, it gets extremely busy on results day hence why I emailed them! AQA unfortunately :frown:
Original post by chanel96
Yeah you could ring them! I tried to do that though and I couldn't get through all morning, it gets extremely busy on results day hence why I emailed them! AQA unfortunately :frown:

Thanks, don't worry grade boundaries will be low haha doubt it would be the same about WJEC though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else here doubting they will meet their offer after F324? Was never expecting a paper anything like that! Literally everything rests on F325 now, quite an unfortunate position to be in considering the b***h F325 is. By the looks of things all the unit 4 papers across all the boards were really bad though? F324 was so bad it made the national news -.-
Original post by Chemi5try
Anyone else here doubting they will meet their offer after F324? Was never expecting a paper anything like that! Literally everything rests on F325 now, quite an unfortunate position to be in considering the b***h F325 is. By the looks of things all the unit 4 papers across all the boards were really bad though? F324 was so bad it made the national news -.-

Just remember that your UMS score will depend on how well everyone else did in the country. If you simply scored higher than most people (doesn't matter how many raw marks you get), then the UMS will be adjusted and you will end up with a good grade.... that is exactly the reason why UMS is used!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending