Intimidation in the workplace

Watch
username299156
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm not sure where to put this so feel free to move it to the correct location .

This is a long story so I'll try to make it as short as possible. (Just scroll to the bottom of this post if you want to see my question as the story is SUPER long)

I volunteer at my local Barnardo's charity shop and something happened this Friday just gone. My boss had told me and my friend to go and tidy the children's toys in the shop downstairs as the 2 people that were 'working' down there just mostly stand/sit around and chat, don't do any real work at all. So we went downstairs and tidied up. As we were going through the doorway to head back upstairs again, my friend turned to me and said 'do you not feel intimidated by them lot?' And I said 'I did a bit but I've got used to it now."

We then started to head back upstairs and my friend said "Well you shouldn't have to put up with it", to which I said "Well you gotta do what you gotta do." She then started saying to my boss about the 2 people working downstairs making us feel intimidated, and then she went on to say that one of the 2 (a 70 odd year old woman) had been pointing at us and s******ing at us. I had only heard this but didn't realise it was at our expense. My friend saw it happen just before we started going upstairs. As my friend was saying all this to our boss, the other person came up (I think he'd heard us discussing what had happened) and said "I didn't hear anything". Me, my friend and the assistant manager (who is on our side) thought it was strange he came upstairs straight after we did. He then went back down and we carried on discussing the incident.

My boss then went down to tell them both what we had been saying and they claim that the old woman was talking about her son who was having problems at the moment to the other person. She came back upstairs and told us what she'd been told and my friend said she definitely saw it happen. A couple of minutes later, my boss and assistant manager went downstairs again and took them both to one side and said she won't tolerate bullying/intimidation etc etc. Then the assistant manager came up and told us what our boss had said to them. Apparently the old woman was all like "I didn't do anything and don't like being accused as being a liar". About a couple of minutes later, my boss came up and said "After what she said (the stuff about the woman's son), I think I believe her". (My friend had gone home for the day at this point). I then said to my boss "Well why would we make it up". I think she believes that we believe what happened but that we imagined it or something. I do understand that I can't say much because I didn't see it happen myself, but I trust my friend 100% and she has no reason to make it up. We hardly know the woman and have nothing against her. In the next quarter of an hour after this had happened, there were 2 occasions where I had to go downstairs and put stock out and the woman kept staring at me.

From this MASSIVE story, (again, I do apologise ), I basically wanted to ask, is the woman staring at me still classed as intimidation. If I can catch her doing that, I can say to my boss that she's continuing to intimidate me.

For now though, I'm just gonna keep my distance from her if possible but keep a VERY close eye on her in case she tries anything again.

Thanks for any tips and advice

I've never been in a situation like this before as I make sure I keep out of things like that, so I'm a bit clueless as what's the best thing to do. I'm not a confrontational person at all but I'll be her worst enemy if it comes to that and makes sure she's kicked out if it carries on.
DrakeMaverick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Make sure you bury them where no-one will look.
username299156
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by DrakeMaverick)
Make sure you bury them where no-one will look.
haha, that's not a bad idea....... :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads