The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm sure that I won't be the only one without a tv licence, so i'm willing to take a chance
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
luke88
Even if they do accuse me of having a t.v... you're allowed to have a battery powered t.v with your parents licence aren't you?. So in theory, I'll be able to put my laptop on battery power and watch t.v. :biggrin:

I know batteries are good nowadays... but I'm sure you'll have to plug it in eventually.
Reply 22
I have a PC with a TV card. For one, the reception was awful on it when with a TV in my room it was fine. For another, yes if you check with the TV licence people for TV cards in computers you still need a licence according to them.
Saying that, 5 people in my halls last year had tv's without one. Only I got the threatening letter through saying that I had been detected to be using one without a licence and I was pending investigation for law breaking. I was the only one WITH a licence which was fairly ironic....
Reply 23
i got one of them letters. i think they were just trying to scare people into buying one, so i called their bluff and won.
Reply 24
Well they rang me and wrote to me several times after, and only dropped it after we sent them a copy of my licence and they verified it :frown:
So you can plug in the laptop into the mains when you're not watching TV and disconnect it and run on batteries when you are? You would technically be legal right.
Reply 26
Intelligentsia
So you can plug in the laptop into the mains when you're not watching TV and disconnect it and run on batteries when you are? You would technically be legal right.

trust me, it won't stand up in court!
Reply 27
judge john
trust me, it won't stand up in court!

But if they can't prove that you had it plugged in whilst watching it, then there's no grounds for them to take you to court. It's perfectly legal, they say so themselves, just as long as no device is plugged into the mains whilst receiving a TV signal.
Reply 28
no offence but they are cleverer than you. somehow i think they have come up against this before and know exactly what they are doing.
Govt Vs Dan. i know who i'm backing :wink:
Reply 29
Quote from TV licensing leaflet sent out by the uni:

You will be covered by your parents' license if you only use a device which is powered solely by its own internal batteries to watch or record tv programmes. However, you must not install the device (e.g. plug it into the mains) when using it to receive television

I know they're cleverer than me and I wouldn't win if up against them, BUT it seems to me like what they've said leaves it a little bit vague.
Oh dear:

For users this means that they must have a TV licence for their primary residence in order to use a TV tuner on their PC/Laptop, in their home or on the move. A TV licence held at a primary residence also covers laptop users in places such as on trains, in cafes or hotels if they are solely running off of a battery. However, if a user is using a laptop that is plugged into the mains whilst on the move, they will require an additional licence.

If a device is used in a second home, an additional TV licence for this property must also be held, for example, a student will require a licence to use a laptop as a TV receiver at their term time address as it is assumed that the laptop will be powered by the mains.

edit: but then again from the official website:

Aren't I covered by my parents' licence while I'm away?
No. Unless your TV is powered by internal batteries, such as a pocket-sized TV. If you think that this is the case, please call us on 0870 241 5973 to check that you are eligible for cover on your parents' licence.
Reply 31
How much is the fine if you get caught?
Reply 32
'Up to £1000', which means like £20
Im getting one....I know the likelihood is that I wont get checked.....but its normally my luck (ie sods law) that I will I'd rather not take the risk!!
not having a tv license is part of the whole uni experience imo.
is it even worth takin my tv n freebox as im in bowland n iv heard the reception is crap
Reply 36
You're only in Wigan, it's not that far to take them back if it doesn't work I suppose.
Reply 37
Is it bad in Slaidburn house too then?
Reply 38
Is it bad in Slaidburn house too then?
-- Dan
You're only in Wigan, it's not that far to take them back if it doesn't work I suppose.

i no but i dnt wana but a tv license for it to be useless - id rather b saf than sorry!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending