The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is britain such a dump

Britain appears to be the dumping ground of western europe its filled with grumpy aggressive chavs who will hit you if you look at them. You also get ripped off for everything and will have to pay at least 300k for what is practically a shed in london while if you're a scrounger drug dealer or a terrorist you get housed and paid by the taxpayer while everyone else gets completely fleeced by the government and their corporate masters.

Scroll to see replies

Terrible governments. That's what happens when £9bn is spent on foreign aid as opposed to the NHS, money is given to Brussels as opposed to the local people etc.

I spoke to two Germans tonight who both agreed the UK is the laughing stock of Europe as it currently stands and the vast majority of Europe does not respect the UK, they just want out of it what they can get.

Its all down to terrible governance. Only ardent denialists will say this is not the case.
Do you have any evidence for any of the above, OP?
Reply 3
Do you have any evidence for any of the above, OP?
just go outside and I guarantee you will see a group of chavs within 5 minutes
Original post by Frosty524

Hands down the best evidence I've seen on this forum. 10/10
Reply 5

I had a 20 mins walk home and saw 0 people...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I don't know where you live but I went for a half hour walk yesterday and didn't see any.
I think people develop an opinion of the UK after they've spent some time in another country.
For example, I went to Iceland in April and Malta last summer, and I said both times that I'd rather live there than in the UK. Mainly because I had such good fun there, but also because I compared loads of things to similar stuff in the UK. General attitudes of the people is one thing- people in Malta and Iceland are so friendly.

As it stands, I don't want to live in the UK in future because I don't like it. I like the fact that people abroad are so much nicer and their countries aren't always holding some sort of stupid inquiry into who hacked whos phone.
It's hard to explain. I don't like the fact that the police are so weak and criminals get short sentences for horrific crimes. Bring back police brutality or something, people literally get away with murder. Some guy I know was mugged last night, whereas in other countries, Iceland for example, that sort of thing is unheard of because it's the most peaceful nation in the world.

Don't even get me started on the government. Give Heathrow a third runway already and have done with it. (I'm ranting now.)
Reply 8

I live in affluent South West London- I can honestly say I've never seen a chav within 2 miles of my house. If you think Britain sucks so much, work harder, earn more money and move to a nice part. Or do us all a favour, and reduce your expense by moving abroad.
Never understood why the high street must die at 5.30 pm, when in most parts of the world you can buy a coffee, a pair of shoes, a computer till pretty much midnight.
What Sanctimonious said. If I were in power I would:

Abolish speed cameras and fund proper police.
No foreign aid except in rare circumstances.
Living wage would be the minimum wage.
Lower business taxes and reduce red tape.
Unskilled and unemployed people would be put through training if they request.
Dole people would be made to work for their dole where possible, or lose it. The dole would pay an actual wage tho.
No immigrants or asylum seekers. I would adopt an Australian attitude.
No early release for prisoners regardless of improved behavior. Prisoners will pay in full for their crime.
Prisoners will only have the most basic of human rights: Eat, sleep and bath basically.

I saw a field of sheep, a large hill and a field of rape. Not a single person though. England's green and pleasant land seems to be living up to its name.
Original post by tes1996
I live in affluent South West London- I can honestly say I've never seen a chav within 2 miles of my house. If you think Britain sucks so much, work harder, earn more money and move to a nice part. Or do us all a favour, and reduce your expense by moving abroad.

Did you work to live in your affluent area? I'm guessing because you're an average member of TSR, no. Don't start pissing down on others who weren't born into a wealthy and lucky family because your little elite London bubble is protected by a scummy elite government.
I lived in many countries so in my opinion;
Yes the UK isn't perfect but you really don't understand how priviledged you are until you've seen what its really like in the rest of world.
For example, your beloved Germany does not provide any additional grants to the disadvantaged, they just get one dole payment and are forced to made due with that, no matter what position they are in.
Meanwhile many of their Nazi laws are still in tact, home education or self education is illegal in Germany and you can be imprisoned for exercising your basic right.
These are just to name a few, no wonder Europeans keep migrating to the UK, not just because they have not jobs.
Reply 14
If you live in a rich area of south london of course you won't see a chav but if you live anywhere outside of the m25 you will know that this is a serious problem and did you actually work hard to live in south west london or do you just live off Mummy and Daddy's money?
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends where you live. I agree that Britain is deteriorating rapidly, but it's still Britain. Compared to poorer countries, Britain is a beautiful place.
Original post by Soul Trance
Never understood why the high street must die at 5.30 pm, when in most parts of the world you can buy a coffee, a pair of shoes, a computer till pretty much midnight.

That's not true in the slightest. The UK has relatively long business hours.
Reply 17
Original post by Sanctimonious
Terrible governments. That's what happens when £9bn is spent on foreign aid as opposed to the NHS, money is given to Brussels as opposed to the local people etc.

The UK has a budget of £1.8 Trillion and give 0.56% (£8.7bn) in aid, sorry but if the UK can't manage 99.46% of it's budget then adding that extra 0.56% ain't gonna make a jot of difference.
Original post by Laomedeia
What Sanctimonious said. If I were in power I would:

Abolish speed cameras and fund proper police
All speed cameras? Even in densely populated areas and in front of schools? And how do you define "proper police".
No foreign aid except in rare circumstances.
Living wage would be the minimum wage.
That would lead to higher unemployment as the wealth would need to go to less people. Also, people who currently earn slightly above the living wage would suffer a loss of earnings in real terms.
Lower business taxes and reduce red tape.
How are you going to fund tax breaks? And reducing red tape would necessitate leaving the EU.
Unskilled and unemployed people would be put through training if they request.
Government-sponsored training? How are you going to fund that? And if there are no jobs, what is the point? There is never going to be full employment.
Dole people would be made to work for their dole where possible, or lose it. The dole would pay an actual wage tho.
You can't just create jobs out of thin air so they would be doing pointless tasks. Wouldn't that effort better be served looking for work?
No immigrants or asylum seekers. I would adopt an Australian attitude.
That's not the Australian attitude. And completely stopping immigration will prevent skilled workers coming here, and that would be bad for business.
No early release for prisoners regardless of improved behavior. Prisoners will pay in full for their crime.
Prisoners will only have the most basic of human rights: Eat, sleep and bath basically.
The UK is bound by the ECHR and the UN declaration of human rights so you can't pick and choose which ones to adopt. Besides, most prisoners do get little more than that.

People complain a lot about the UK, but there are far worse places to live. The economy is strong, crime is low, there is universal healthcare and education, higher education is great, and London is one of the great international cities.

All countries have their problems:

France: High taxes, high unemployment, out-of-control trade unions and huge social divisions. If people complain about chavs here they should see the so-called "racaille" in France.
USA: Politics are dominated by disputes over religion, guns, gay people and whether offering healthcare to the poor is communism.
Germany: Awful customer service, dog **** everywhere, graffiti and over-regulation.

Of course these countries have their strengths to, but the UK shouldn't be singled out for criticism.
Reply 19
Original post by tengentoppa
People complain a lot about the UK, but there are far worse places to live. The economy is strong, crime is low, there is universal healthcare and education, higher education is great, and London is one of the great international cities.

All countries have their problems:

France: High taxes, high unemployment, out-of-control trade unions and huge social divisions. If people complain about chavs here they should see the so-called "racaille" in France.
USA: Politics are dominated by disputes over religion, guns, gay people and whether offering healthcare to the poor is communism.
Germany: Awful customer service, dog **** everywhere, graffiti and over-regulation.

Of course these countries have their strengths to, but the UK shouldn't be singled out for criticism.

Exactly the grass always seems greener on the other side, but it never is.

Latest