The Student Room Group

Should I & do you say something to parents who smoke around their children in public?

It really annoys and upsets me when I see parents do this. I see parents smoking when up-close to their babies in prams, smoking walking down the street with their children, smoking waiting at bus stops right next to their children, smoking when driving with their children in the car, smoking when eating and playing with their children at the park, etc. I've always wanted to say something but never have, because I'll probably be told "You have no f**ing right to tell me how to bring up my kids" or something similar, but it's got the point now where I really feel I should say something. Opinions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by Groundearth
It really annoys and upsets me when I see parents do this. I see parents smoking when up-close to their babies in prams, smoking walking down the street with their children, smoking waiting at bus stops right next to their children, smoking when driving with their children in the car, smoking when eating and playing with their children at the park, etc. I've always wanted to say something but never have, because I'll probably be told "You have no f**ing right to tell me how to bring up my kids" or something similar, but it's got the point now where I really feel I should say something. Opinions?

Completely agree with you but personally I wouldn't intervene. It's not like my comment would stop them from smoking around kids/babies anyway :/ you'd just end up pissing them off
Reply 3
It's a bad thing
No and no. It's their business. I'd be causing an unnecessary argument. If they're doing it in public they'll most certainly be doing it at home. All you'll be doing for them is pointing out what they're doing - they won't change their habit just because some stranger disagrees with it.

My sister absolutely hates my dad smoking around her son. She's pointed it out and argued with my mum who lets it happen. Because she's his mother she has the upper hand so she's physically taken him away from my parents when my dad started smoking with him around. Most of the time my parents respect her wishes. Recently she went back to work and I've been taking care of my nephew. I've noticed that my dad asks me to take my nephew when he wants his morning cigarette.

From what I've seen with my sister and people in general, if they're strangers you have no say, but if they're family/friends then it's fine to speak out. Whether they listen or not is up to them. Your relationship with them/the child may also have an impact.

I don't say anything directly to my parents - I don't speak out like my sister used to. I just go up to my nephew and say something in a playful voice, like "old man! you're 1 years old and already you're smoking! let's get out and we'll come back when the cigarette's gone!" This way I can bring it to my parent's attention that I don't approve of him being in the room and I do it in a way where I don't piss them off. My parents are the kind of people who only hear their voices in arguments so arguing is pointless. With strangers and their own babies I don't say anything. It's not my place and it will only do more harm than good.

Quick Reply

Latest