Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Movie Madness: Group A QF2: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Next V American History X watch

• View Poll Results: Group A: Quarter Final 2
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Next
    65.96%
    American History X
    34.04%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    Milos Forman's Oscar darling (it is tied with Silence of the Lambs and It Happened One Night for winning the five main Academy Awards), One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest uses it's insane asylum as a backdrop for making powerful statements about the wider culture. With memorable characters and a powerful performance from Jack Nicholson, the film has retained its bite throughout the decades.

American History X (1998)
    Edwards Norton and Furlong star as brothers growing up in Venice Beach, California. After their father is murdered by a black drug dealer Norton's character becomes drawn into neo-Nazism and kills two black thieves, earning him three years in prison. During his time inside his views change radically, and upon his release he is horrified to find his brother now following in his footsteps. With an excellent central performance from Norton, American History X is a brutally powerful film.

ReputationRep:
    Another tough one for me this! :yep: To see them neck and neck (8 all as I write this) is very fair IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Motorbiker I can't believe you left American Psycho out of this competition! Cuckoo wins this one for me though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikejohnno)
    Motorbiker I can't believe you left American Psycho out of this competition! Cuckoo wins this one for me though.
    It was based off IMDB rankings and then by genres into groups.

Are there awesome films that didn't make the list? Yes but i reckon we have a decent spread. Only way to include ALL the good films would be to have way too many films for it to be workable.

Also went for Cuckoo here.

ReputationRep:
    Ending of American History X always gets me. Also think Norton is under-appreciated. Have to go with X
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I went for one flew over, but this one is one of the tougher ones.

ReputationRep:
    I liked American History X, but I found the ending cheap and obvious and the plot quite clunky and obvious.

Now, Cuckoo's Nest...THAT is an ending! I remember the first time I watched it just being absolutely stunned. I must have watched it at least 5 times since and every time I find myself thinking 'Go on McMurphy, just climb out of the window!'. Amazing acting by the entire cast too. No contest for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zappaisgod)

Now, Cuckoo's Nest...THAT is an ending! I remember the first time I watched it just being absolutely stunned. I must have watched it at least 5 times since and every time I find myself thinking 'Go on McMurphy, just climb out of the window!'. Amazing acting by the entire cast too. No contest for me.
    Agreed, 'Cuckoo' May well have been the first film I saw when I just sat there at the end, not quite knowing how to process what I had seen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cuckoo - one of the few times the Academy Awards got it right

American History X - it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hands down - One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. I was very disappointed with American History X tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a kick in the arse off asking me to pick between my mum and dad. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest takes it, though.

ReputationRep:
    Abstaining because I - sacrilegious! - haven't seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

ReputationRep:
    This is too tough!

American History X moved me more. It's such an intense film. The racial tension and fear is palpable.

One Flew is comedic and tragic in a different way.

I go with X because it affected me more

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.