The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't, but if I can ask a couple of questions: how old are you (if that isn't too personal :smile:) and why them over a conventional College? Whether or not it is right for really depends on what you plan to do in the future.
Reply 2
Ck.
OP
Alex Mann
I don't, but if I can ask a couple of questions: how old are you (if that isn't too personal :smile:) and why them over a conventional College? Whether or not it is right for really depends on what you plan to do in the future.

I'm in my 30's.

I've worked in the civil service, currently at junior management level, for 17 years, I work part time term time as I have a son of 11.

Our jobs in the civil service are not as secure as one would hope. I don't fear that my job will disappear due to cut backs, however, things have become very tight of late and they seem to be sacking people for the flimsiest of reasons plus making more and more demands of us. This all leads to low morale and poor job satisfaction.

I'd like to take the course for two reasons. One because the subject interests me and the other is that ultimately I would like to train to be a counselor. Whether or not I want to do this so I can offer something voluntarily or as a paid job I'm not quite sure as yet. Again the subject interests me.

As I am a single parent no matter what hours I work/how much I earn the government will top up my wages to something which I can get by on, but only whilst my son is under 16 and in full time education.

Ideally, I would like to do the psycholgy diploma in my own time this year, then next year enrole on a nightschool counselling course, both whilst I am earning a decent wage. After that, I will have a few years left to be able to qualify for the top up from the govt so may think about taking a career break whilst I study full-time and work 16 hours in the evenings/weekends so that I can still bring home enough cash to pay the bills etc.

The diploma course in psycology would be a sort of introduction to me learning again plus hopefully give me some added insight into how people work and think which I'm thinking would benefit me if the plans to be a counsellor take off.

I can't go straight into the counselling course at night school this year as the course doesn't finish until 9pm, next year when my son will be knocking on 13 this should be ok, but not now, I feel he is a little too young to be left until that time just yet.

You've virtually had my life story :biggrin:
Reply 3
Ck.
OP
wesetters
It's not very well known. If I were you, I'd try the Open University first.

Thanks. I've just had a look but it doesn't seem to offer what I want.

I can take a degree in psychology but I'd be looking at six years before I complete at roughly 6 to 8 hours per week study time. I only wanted a basic background with some sort of certificate to show that I have completed and understood the basics as a prerequisite to going down the counselling route. The OU doesn't seem to offer any starter courses on Counselling. Or at least I couldn't find any.
Reply 4
I am also self teaching, you could try some of these courses from the NEC, it is a fairly well known respected establishment.

http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/category-browse?category_id=1182

How about an A Level in Psychology?

Or there is this one:
http://www.uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/Details.asp?ProductID=647
Reply 5
Ck.
OP
Thanks for those links. They were very helpful.

The second one offers a psychology course which seems similar to the one on my original link in the opening post, only twice the price :biggrin: . Does the UK open learning have a better reputation than the open college? Or is it more recognised in some way?
Reply 6
I bought a Business Studies A level from there and their materials were from Oxford Open Learning which has a good reputation.

The course which is similar but twice the price, is the qualification at the end awarded different? (I wasn't sure which one you were talking about). An ASSET qualification is more useful, respected and recognised than a basic Open College diploma.
Reply 7
Ck.
OP
kirstinx
I bought a Business Studies A level from there and their materials were from Oxford Open Learning which has a good reputation.

The course which is similar but twice the price, is the qualification at the end awarded different? (I wasn't sure which one you were talking about). An ASSET qualification is more useful, respected and recognised than a basic Open College diploma.

The qualification at the end from the open college, from what I can gather is just a dipolma. I can't seem to find out anything more than that. Your answer regarding ASET being more respected and recognised was what I was looking for when I posed the question. Thanks.

I'll look deeper into it but my instinct now tells me that the you link you gave me is the right place for me to go. The extra money will be worth spending if all the work I put in gives me a recognised qualification rather than just a bog standard diploma. There are a few courses with the open college I still fancy doing, one is the course on body language. I can live with having a basic diploma in that but when it comes to the psychology course I was after something that would be openly and instantly accepted as a legit qualification.

Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.

Latest

Trending

Trending