Prospective Historians 07 Watch

Jordan7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Now that all the 06 guys are dealt with i thort we beta hav an 07 thread. so tell evryone where ur going to apply, what AS grades u got, what A2 subjects ur doin, and in general discuss th finer points of history at uni.
myself
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Modern History at Oxford (Anywhere so long as it's not "St Catz", St Hilda's or Balliol).

GCSE: 10A*, 1A

AS: English Lit - A (300/300), History - A (298/300), RS - A (296/300), Politics (290/300) [And GS - A (273/300)]

Carrying on all 4 to A2 I think.

I like the Cambridge idea of just having 'History', rather than 'Modern History', because it's less prescriptive and more open to personal hobby horses. But Cambridge is not as pleasant a town, so yanno.
Jordan7
Rep:
?
(Original post by myself)
I like the Cambridge idea of just having 'History', rather than 'Modern History', because it's less prescriptive and more open to personal hobby horses. But Cambridge is not as pleasant a town, so yanno.
True tbh im not that overly interested in the Oxford modules of British and European history, i enjoyed Bismarck but disliked Charles I for AS. Id rather study about less obvious societies like Australia or Japan for example as evrythings new and intriguing. And in general id rather be studying modrn history as its easy to relate it to.
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Modern History & Politics (and variations thereof) at Aberystwyth, Cambridge (St Catharine's), Exeter, LSE, Manchester and Warwick

GCSEs: 10 A*
AS Levels: French (272/300), Government & Politics (293/300), Geography (288/300) & History (286/300)
A Level: Likely to be as above
myself
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomrob)
True tbh im not that overly interested in the Oxford modules of British and European history, i enjoyed Bismarck but disliked Charles I for AS. Id rather study about less obvious societies like Australia or Japan for example as evrythings new and intriguing. And in general id rather be studying modrn history as its easy to relate it to.

But where does 'modern' history start from? Oxford says 300AD or thereabouts, which is good for me as the dark ages and so on are ace. I also like how Oxford don't force you to sit an exam on either gender, race, class or any other of those secret vehicles for liberal dogma designated as compulsory by various other institutions.
Jordan7
Rep:
?
(Original post by myself)
But where does 'modern' history start from? Oxford says 300AD or thereabouts, which is good for me as the dark ages and so on are ace. I also like how Oxford don't force you to sit an exam on either gender, race, class or any other of those secret vehicles for liberal dogma designated as compulsory by various other institutions.
I was under the impression modern history was 1500 onwards and before that is renaissance then medievel then ancient..may be rong tho. Thats one thing i like about th oxford course, there's no silly modules on like the emancipation of women that envoke no interest in neone, although im gna apply to Warwick n ther modules are full of such trivial topics.
ZanyZanny
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Economics and History (slight variations) York, Warwick, Manchester, Cardiff, Leeds

GCSE's: 3A*s 6A's 1B
AS: see sig
Peter_The_Great
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Oxford definition for modern history is, as the previous poster mentioned, from 300AD onwards. Its modern in the sense that its not ancient!
JohnStuartMill
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomrob)
I was under the impression modern history was 1500 onwards and before that is renaissance then medievel then ancient..
The renaissance is generally taken as the beginning of the modern era. It is the 'early modern' period. Hence there is such a problem with defining what is modern as the renaissance began at different times in different countries, even different times in different parts of countries so there is no real definitive year that marks the beginning of the era of modern history.

Equally as the renaissance was a particularly western phenomenon, eastern cultures probably chart things a little differently.

That being said, I have no clue where the Oxford definition for 'Modern History' comes from.
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JohnStuartMill)
The renaissance is generally taken as the beginning of the modern era. It is the 'early modern' period. Hence there is such a problem with defining what is modern as the renaissance began at different times in different countries, even different times in different parts of countries so there is no real definitive year that marks the beginning of the era of modern history.

Equally as the renaissance was a particularly western phenomenon, eastern cultures probably chart things a little differently.

That being said, I have no clue where the Oxford definition for 'Modern History' comes from.
The reformation would seem to be a clearer cut off point then the renaissance, at least in western history?

edit: edited for spelling retardedness
forpolarbears
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
History or a variation
Cambridge-Emma, LSE, Durham, KCL, UCL
UC Berkeley, Yale, Stanford (or not...don't really want California...nor the rest of the USA), UCLA, UCI, USD,
UBC & U of Toronto

Biochemistry- UCSD

I converted my AP and college classes into A levels using Trinity @ Cam's conversion factor. It wasn't a happy number. I'm ignoring it
Lottie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pro Gryffindor Seeker, I idly consider a lot of things (like applying to read Arabic, going to a liberal arts college in the United States, etc.) and was having a nose around at the SAT II tests in World History. Are they really multiple choice?

Why are you bothering with Stanford & the UCs if you don't want to study in California? I assume it has something to do with in-state tuition fees. Am also intrigued to hear what's so good about UCSD's biochemistry degree!

Topic? Are you going to apply to a sixth university in the UK? What sorts of variations on the theme of History are you considering?
preparationH
Report 12 years ago
I wanna do history and probably politics as well at either Durham, York, Bristol and I havent decided the other ones yet.

GCSEs: 5A*s, 4As, 1C

As: History - 267, Economics - 273, Biology - 260, Geography - 232:mad:
Lottie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi, preparationH! I'm applying for History & Politics too. Bristol doesn't offer a joint honours combination in MHP so you might want to scratch that one off your list or apply for one or th'other.
preparationH
Report 12 years ago
oh yeah I noticed that, I'll apply for straight history there instead. Have you done politics at As level?
NickiM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
History (V100)

GCSEs - 9 A*, 1 A

AS Levels - 4 As, 1 B (carrying on 3 to A2: Sociology, History and Music)

Possibly thinking of: Cambridge (Emmanuel), Durham, Warwick, York, Sheffield
forpolarbears
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lottie)
Pro Gryffindor Seeker, I idly consider a lot of things (like applying to read Arabic, going to a liberal arts college in the United States, etc.) and was having a nose around at the SAT II tests in World History. Are they really multiple choice?

Why are you bothering with Stanford & the UCs if you don't want to study in California? I assume it has something to do with in-state tuition fees. Am also intrigued to hear what's so good about UCSD's biochemistry degree!

Topic? Are you going to apply to a sixth university in the UK? What sorts of variations on the theme of History are you considering?
Yeah, the SAT IIs are multiple choice, but none of the unis really care about them (The UC system keeps on pressuring the SAT people to change their tests, and did initiate change on the SAT I, but the SAT IIs aren't important enough for them to care). With the high profile unis, its all about the AP test results, which are more indicative of how well you can perform at uni. The SAT IIs are something that the elite universities tend to ask for, but would only really use to make a final judgment if the two canidates were similar, but one of them got a 720/800 in History, and the other a much higher score. http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...rt.html?histus

And this is the same subject, but the AP exam:
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...mp.html?ushist

Well, I'm not sure why I'm bothering with the UCs, except that I would be able to transfer to them, and finish my degree in 2 years of less. So it would end up costing me about $40,000, while Cambridge's estimate of 3 years in the UK is about $95,000, plus my travel expenses. I really don't think I'm going to apply to Stanford though, because I have the academic qualifications, but I'm really missing the passion and the want to go there... And well, 4 years at Stanford is way more than Cambridge's UK estimate....

I'm applying to UCSD for biochemistry because my professors and parents want me to do suggested it, and the programme is exceptional, but better for its research. I'd be able to stay home, save money, and work at the Scripps Institute, which is where the original global warming data was gathered in the 1950s. Oops, I'm more interested in the history side of the subject

I'm mostly considering International Relations and History at LSE, and I'm not sure if I'm going to apply to a 6th UK university, it really depends on how many I apply to in the US.

Which liberal arts colleges were you considering? The tuition would be the first roadblock with those...except they hike up the fees, and then slash them through scholarships, so really, if you want to go to one, apply, and see what happens A levels might even get you credit, so you'd save that way too...well, some unis have become so obsessed with tuition want you to stay all 4 years...
Lottie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can easily see why the AP exams are more valued than the SAT II tests. The questions in the AP exams seem quite comparable to those in my recent AS Level modules. I must admit that upon discovering the SAT II tests, my faith in the American education declined considerably but I would like to thank you for restoring my confidence! Which subjects are you sitting APs/SAT IIs in?

In any case, I can't say I really have my heart set on attending university in America; I quite simply want to get a good education for as cheap as possible! As a result, if I were to apply to a reputable American college and were fortunate enough to receive a full scholarship as well as financial aid for room and board etc., I'd be rather inclined to go there. In short, it's highly probable I'll end up studying in the United Kingdom but I felt it was worthwhile investigating the options as an international student.

At the time I thought that SAT IIs entailed quite a bit of work (as opposed to multiple choice questions that remind me of driving theory tests), I was disinclined to contact colleges requiring them so I wrote to a few such as Bard and Mount Holyoke.

Bard were really helpful but said that their financial aid to international students is typically $20,000 out of the full cost of attending, leaving $25,000 per year for tuition, room and board. Obviously, this isn't really worth it but the admissions secretary who replied to my e-mail mentioned a few small liberal arts colleges that offer substantial financial aid to international students. I've yet to discover which colleges these actually are but, when I do, I shall consider making an application to them.

Bowdoin said that they receive over 400 applications from international students requesting financial assistance but offer full need-based scholarships to usually only 4 or 5. :eek: For some reason, I think there are probably applicants from other countries who are probably in need of financial assistance to meet the massive costs more than I am. I thought they were quite cool for offering a Gay and Lesbian Studies major. I'm all about doing a "conversation starter" degree.

I shall graduate a British university with approximately £33,500 ($63,400) worth of debt (though it is worth noting that £12,000 of this will be top-up tuition fees). If I happen upon an excellent university - either here or in the United States - where it would be remarkably cheaper to attend, I would consider it long and hard. I just really want to go to a good university and it'd be a bonus if I could somehow minimise the debt too! (I want to eventually get a doctorate as well, which, unless I somehow receive sponsorship, would mean even more debt!)

I have silly Sylvia Plath/Mona Lisa Smile pretensions of being an empowered feminist, majoring in Women's Studies (or, if I were feeling especially avant garde, Gender Studies) and wearing thick-rimmed black glasses at somewhere like Smith, Wellesley, Middlebury, Williams, Amherst... In reality, I'm going to end up as a boring History & Politics student somewhere in the UK, probably partaking in binge drinking, staying up all night to finish essays at the last minute and sleeping through lectures. :p:

In short, my latest American infatuation is just a way to pass the time since I've pretty much decided on the six universities I want to apply to here.
forpolarbears
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
History and Politics isn't completely tame I think some of the more off the beaten path concentrations actually sound the most interesting, and keep second guessing my own choice. However, mt real battle is between an SPS-like course or History, and well, I also love Art History. Cornell, one of the forgotten Ivies, has an interesting programme on Labour Relations and Public Policy, and seems like a field that would have job options in a variety of places. And they keep sending letters. US universities have a tendency to post lots of progaganda, and I keep it all in my Harry Potter 6 packing box, which was made to hold 10 HP books. It's filled :p:

My close friend actually attends Mount Holyoke, and her roommate last year was from Bhutan by way of Switzerland. She had received financial aid and was also able to earn extra money by doing some work for the college, but it didn't sound unmanagable.

I've taken:
AP European History, Art History, English Language, Spanish Language, & US History

and will be taking:
English Literature, US Gov't, Statistics, Environmental Science, Psychology, Microeconomics, and probably Macroeconomics.

California also has an extensive communtity college system, to lead into UCLA, Berkeley and the rest, and I've taken courses through it as well. I have to say, after doing the US general education, I see the point in it. It makes history even more fun

At college I've taken:
English History, World History, Philosophy, Film Studies, Geography, Sociology, Music Fundamentals (worst class ever), Biology, Calculus, and am currently enrolled in French, more English, and more history. If I can't take Intro to Politics at the college, I'll teach myself Comparative Politics AP, but um, I'm slightly superstitious, and don't want 13 APs!!!!

I also want to take a 3rd year history course or two at UCSD, just to see what its like. I've attended a few conferences at UCLA, but want to go to a few more, just to keep in touch with US academia...
confuddled101
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Applying to Oxford (Brasenose/Christ Church) and various other places, none of which I have truly made up my mind on!
GCSEs - 2A*, 7A
AS - History (300/300) English Lit (296/300) Economics (288/300) Math (269/300) and carrying them all on this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed