Turn on thread page Beta

I don't know what words to use to describe the feeling watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an english controlled assessment, and i'd quite like to know anyway, but does anyone know how to describe the feeling of a sort of existential, romanticized sadness that people enjoy and find sexy, kind of like miserable indie bands? How do you describe it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoot_the_moon)
    I'm doing an english controlled assessment, and i'd quite like to know anyway, but does anyone know how to describe the feeling of a sort of existential, romanticized sadness that people enjoy and find sexy, kind of like miserable indie bands? How do you describe it?
    Sentimentally self aware? Melancholy?

I'm not sure whether there is a set word to define that particular emotion/ state of mind, but rather you'd use adjectives, or lean towards figurative language. I think it'd most likely be a sentence to describe such expression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy. J S)
    Sentimentally self aware? Melancholy?

I'm not sure whether there is a set word to define that particular emotion/ state of mind, but rather you'd use adjectives, or lean towards figurative language. I think it'd most likely be a sentence to describe such expression.

hmm yeah, i wish there were words for it, in some language there must be :rolleyes:

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.