Petroleum engineering or geology Watch

zizou8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is anyone going to the university of manchester to study petroleum or engineering or even better has anyone been to do either of the two?

contemplating here, in terms of which of the two do I go for. I've read the petroleum engineering industry is very lucrative however peak oil has been and gone hence even members of staff at the uni of Manchester mentioning companies like bp and shell have around 50 to 100 left in the industry hence the concern I have with the course petroleum.

Any comments from current or students who've done either course and how you've found it will be truly appreciated.
malefni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pick Geology. Better future prospects.
zizou8
Rep:
?
Please be kind enough to go into more detail
malefni
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zizou8)
Please be kind enough to go into more detail
You have more career options. And petroleum companies are hard to get in as a petroleum engineer. Usually, its easier to get into one in your own country but extremely hard to get into a foreign company as they prefer to hire locals. But with geology, its easier to get jobs anywhere in the world.
zizou8
Rep:
?
I must admit I've heard or rather read that the packages in terms of pay etc are a to better for someone with petroleum engineering undergrad. when taking this and the fact that one would have to do a masters after geology to get into petroleum sector it kind of tips the scale the former point being more crucial love to hear your response in regards to what I said
Djent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do a Geology MSci undergraduate degree (if you do want to enter the petroleum industry with a BSc your prospects are limited since the MSci is the European standard for careers in petroleum) after which you could go into petroleum, further research or something completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zizou8
Rep:
?
Do you not think the under graduate in petroleum is much better in the sense that its a beng where the geology is bsci also do you agree in general pet eng is just over all better in terms of pay etc
Djent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go for the Petroleum Engineering MEng if you're focused on entering the petroleum industry (MEng is more credible than a BEng). Remember, when applying to uni, you're applying for the course and not necessarily the job (Unless it's Medicine/Dentistry) so make sure you genuinely have an interest in the course content of what you want to study; after which the career will come naturally.
malefni
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zizou8)
I must admit I've heard or rather read that the packages in terms of pay etc are a to better for someone with petroleum engineering undergrad. when taking this and the fact that one would have to do a masters after geology to get into petroleum sector it kind of tips the scale the former point being more crucial love to hear your response in regards to what I said
In the US, that is prolly true. Not so in other countries. And besides,you will not definitely get into petroleum sector just because you have a bachelors in petroleum engineering. i am afraid that is not a given. You need experience and good contacts. So eventually you will still need to do your masters. So you might as well do a Bachelors in Geology and then a Masters in Petroleum and you get the best of both worlds.

P.S: I have plenty of oil and gas contacts so I have a rough idea what hiring companies look for
zizou8
Rep:
?
Intriguing! Thanks for the reply and the comments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (147)
45.94%
Pro-humanity (173)
54.06%

Watched Threads