65.31%
The Pianist (17)
34.69%
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Steven Spielberg's greatest talent has always been to generate tales of human interest no matter what the setting, and nowhere is that more apparent than in Saving Private Ryan. Set against a backdrop of high-action scenes as the Allies storm Nazi-occupied France in WWII, the film pursues a small team of men fighting to reach and evacuate one solider after his other three brothers have been killed.

The Pianist (2002)
Roman Polanski's adaptation of Władysław Szpilman's autobiography is a touching film brilliantly acted. Szpilman was a famous Polish Jewish pianist working on Warsaw radio whose world collapsed with invasion by Nazi Germany. In the aftermath we see his life eroded gradually until he is forced into a ghetto, before witnessing the Polish uprising and the resultant depopulation of his homeland before the Russians arrive.
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Voted for Saving Private Ryan

This for me was a very easy decision because it's one of my all time favourite films. Great script, brilliantly performed and it evokes all the different emotions well. I like the fact that it isn't your standard film but actually follows the lives of the soldiers through the highs and lows.

Also, I've never seem the Pianist myself so this decision is very biased but I just don't see the plot beating SPR.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The pianist is a brilliant film.

It has my vote. I was so inspired by it that I played one of the pieces from the soundtrack for some recitals.
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never realised Vin Diesel was in SPR until I looked at the IMDB page.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Pianist for sure!

Saving Private Ryan is one of the few films I've given up watching part way through!
Snufkin
Report 6 years ago
The Pianist must surely win, it is superb - Saving Private Ryan on the other hand was boring in the extreme.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
I never realised Vin Diesel was in SPR until I looked at the IMDB page.
HE is?!?! :eek: :eek2: :eek:

I am tempted to look him up in IMDB then rewatch the film to try and spot him now. :ninja:
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
HE is?!?! :eek: :eek2: :eek:

I am tempted to look him up in IMDB then rewatch the film to try and spot him now. :ninja:
'Private Caparzo'
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
'Private Caparzo'

(some spoilers on link FYI to others)
http://savingprivateryan.wikia.com/w...Adrian_Caparzo

Completely don't remember him tbh.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
The Pianist for sure!

Saving Private Ryan is one of the few films I've given up watching part way through!
I think SPR is one of those films that relies on a terrific opening to carry you through quite a lot of meh. A bit like, for example 'Up' (different genre of course).

i might abstain on this one.
arrow900
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would definitely go with The Pianist.

Some of the scenes in the movie have been engraved in my mind and will stay with me for a long time.
The most disturbing of which is when the old man is thrown off a balcony for being unable to walk. That was simply shocking.
Also the scene in which a group of people are forced to run towards a brick wall as they are gunned down by Nazi's. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

(some spoilers on link FYI to others)
http://savingprivateryan.wikia.com/w...Adrian_Caparzo

Completely don't remember him tbh.
I had exactly the same reaction, I didn't expect him in a film like that!
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
I had exactly the same reaction, I didn't expect him in a film like that!
Yea, Expect him in Terrible super actiony films with zero storyline and things blowing up.

Oh and all the million fast and furious films. Which tbh i do enjoy but i appreciate that they're terrible films.
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Pianist is amazing. But SPR is a film I have watched again and again, great everything.
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea, Expect him in Terrible super actiony films with zero storyline and things blowing up.

Oh and all the million fast and furious films. Which tbh i do enjoy but i appreciate that they're terrible films.
I don't think he's that bad, he's in things like Pitch Black, Guardians of the Galaxy, Chronicles of Riddick etc. He's actually rather nerdy, he's been trying to spearhead a Dungeons and Dragons films for ages, and carried the weight of the Riddick franchise when no-one else would.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
I don't think he's that bad, he's in things like Pitch Black, Guardians of the Galaxy, Chronicles of Riddick etc. He's actually rather nerdy, he's been trying to spearhead a Dungeons and Dragons films for ages, and carried the weight of the Riddick franchise when no-one else would.

I think i need to get out and watch his other films then!

In my head he's just Dom from Fast and Furious and if he's not drag racing then he's drifting.

Interesting, will have to go look up the D&D film, I'm not a D&D nerd but it could be cool in a film.
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think i need to get out and watch his other films then!

In my head he's just Dom from Fast and Furious and if he's not drag racing then he's drifting.

Interesting, will have to go look up the D&D film, I'm not a D&D nerd but it could be cool in a film.
Yeah, he's quite interesting in that he has such a range of interests, since as I said he's seen as one of the nerdiest guys in Hollywood, yet he's known most for his action and muscled 'badass' demeanour.
I think he is trying to branch out with Guardians and the Riddick franchise, but if you were him would you really say no to a new F&F film with a tonne of payment? :P

I may be wrong about the D&D thing, maybe I misheard it, but he's definitely involved in some big way.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Yeah, he's quite interesting in that he has such a range of interests, since as I said he's seen as one of the nerdiest guys in Hollywood, yet he's known most for his action and muscled 'badass' demeanour.
I think he is trying to branch out with Guardians and the Riddick franchise, but if you were him would you really say no to a new F&F film with a tonne of payment? :P

I may be wrong about the D&D thing, maybe I misheard it, but he's definitely involved in some big way.
Tbh if i was him i'd keep doing the big films like F&F to roll in the cash as well as hitting up the cool smaller indie type films for the fun of acting. Aaran Paul is doing similar atm, Stuff like Need For Speed alongside smaller projects.
DebkoX
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Pianist for me, incredibly haunting.
Joshale
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
SPR was boring and turned it off the first time in 30 minutes, i gave it another chance and, dam I was wrong. It is a world class film, just a bit dull at the start.

I watched the Pianist in either History or RE (forgot) and it was alright, but nothing special, so it's SPR for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (26)
28.89%
No (64)
71.11%

Watched Threads