Racism in North America - The American type of racism.

Watch
C.Almasy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
USA (and maybe Canada) specifically.

Does anyone get the sense that racism is just a lot more significant as part of their culture? For example, casual racism towards certain races is a lot more accepted. And the type of racism you feel is a lot more hateful and malignant.

Stereotypes and racial profiling for example seem a lot bigger as a feature of everyday life for an ethnic minority there. If you are an ethnic minority you are just boxed into a racial stereotype that the mass media/pop culture has made for you. It dehumanises the individual. Yes, people can have normal and prosperous lives , but it just seems like the racial divide and hatred is a lot more serious there than it is here in the UK. Also, they are constantly living in the shadows of past racial conflicts and ethnically discriminatory laws (e.g. exclusion acts, segregation laws).

As an ethnic minority in the UK (mixed race) I often feel like I am at a comfort zone. Everything here is kind of calm and nothing really ever seems to happen here. I don't believe that the grass is greener in other countries and for this reason I am always hesitant to go these other countries to work because to be honest I love this country, i would not want to live anywhere else in the world. Yes there is some name calling racism sometimes, but it lacks that real deep seated hatred that I observe in the USA.
It is not perfect obviously, but I see this country lacking the extremism that I see in the USA. I feel safe here and a valued Britsh citizen. That Stormfront type of hatred that you see on American forums is not something I would associate with the politics/culture of the UK.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Racism in the US goes both ways, when it comes to black people and white people there.
Black people are stigmatised by other black people for 'acting white' and white people are stigmatised by other white people and by black people for 'acting black'.

That's generally why a lot of black people in the US are often focused on basketball, listen to rap music, act 'gangsta', etc, but are discouraged from gaining a good education/broad mind (since that's 'acting white').

You could say that it's almost a religion, like the UK class system (where chavs are stigmatised for 'acting posh' and non-chavs are stigmatised for being/acting chavvy).
C.Almasy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by No Man)
Racism in the US goes both ways, when it comes to black people and white people there.
Black people are stigmatised by other black people for 'acting white' and white people are stigmatised by other white people and by black people for 'acting black'.

That's generally why a lot of black people in the US are often focused on basketball, listen to rap music, act 'gangsta', etc, but are discouraged from gaining a good education/broad mind (since that's 'acting white').

You could say that it's almost a religion, like the UK class system (where chavs are stigmatised for 'acting posh' and non-chavs are stigmatised for being/acting chavvy).
It's really sad imo, Coach Carter (the film) touches on this topic. So they are trapped in the cycle because of culture/stereotypes.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have 100,000 to 1 million people crossing the border illegally a month, and being given welfare and housing and hospital care.

If that doesn't make a person "racist", nothing will.

The Mexican border has literally disappeared over the last few months.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlexJonesChannel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.55%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.54%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.21%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
42.06%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.3%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.87%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.48%

Watched Threads