The Student Room Group

cover letter

hi,
I am applying to a master degree and among the required documents a cover letter .here are all the documents:

At first you will be asked to send us copies of your passport and high school certificate or/and BA diploma (if you have one) with transcript of records (grades sheet from school or University), a cover letter explaining the reasons why you want to study at the particular Faculty and a language certificate proving your knowledge of English.

How should form this letter and what information should I include?
Thanks

Reply 1
Just do as the instructions suggest. Use the cover letter explain why you've chosen to apply to that particular department, rather than studying the same or a similar subject at another university.

Did you like the research interests of the staff? Does the departmental approach to your subject match your own? Is the department a world leader in your subject? Just explain why you've chosen them.

If it's because they're cheap and the nearest uni to your home, it would be diplomatic to lie :smile:
Original post by br1ng
hi,
I am applying to a master degree and among the required documents a cover letter .here are all the documents:

At first you will be asked to send us copies of your passport and high school certificate or/and BA diploma (if you have one) with transcript of records (grades sheet from school or University), a cover letter explaining the reasons why you want to study at the particular Faculty and a language certificate proving your knowledge of English.

How should form this letter and what information should I include?
Thanks

Durham have some really helpful example personal statements for masters, this is one of them
https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/careers/postgraduate/Examplestatement-SocialWork.pdf

But basically its why that uni, why that department, why that course.
Reply 3
klix :Thank you

jelly:so the cover letter is the same as the personal statement?
Original post by br1ng
klix :Thank you

jelly:so the cover letter is the same as the personal statement?

Not exactly- where as at undergraduate level the personal statement is all about the course and the same one is sent to all unis at postgraduate level you tailor the statement to each uni- making statements like 'I want to go to the University of X because' and I'm particularly impressed with this lecturer whose interests match mine e.c.t

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending