Turn on thread page Beta

What's worse, cigarettes or alcohol? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just want to get a consensus of what's worse - cigarettes or alcohol?

Assuming both are consumed regularly and essentially it's being a full-time smoker v a binge drinker. By binge drinker I mean perhaps consuming huge amounts of alcohol at least twice a week.

100 cigarettes a week v 2 bottles of vodka a week?

Things to be considered - behavior whilst intoxicated, long term damage, short term damage, relationship problems, etc.

Let me know what you guys think!

p.s it should be noted that I mean each are done exclusively.

ReputationRep:
    In excess, alcohol, absolutely no question about it. In moderation smoking is probably worse for you in the long-term.

ReputationRep:
    The long term effects for both are in fact damaging but a 100 cigarettes a week i would assume would kill a person faster than 2 bottles of vodka a week

Yet behavioral wise cigarettes do not affect the behavior as much as drinking does which can can lead to changes in emotions (anger) or in relationships can lead to domestic violence

From your list of things to be considered i would say drinking would be the worse because it has a more negative affect on behavior, relationship, short term and long term than cigarettes even though in the long term a 100 cigarettes per week will kill a person

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol. Without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol doesn't in theory change behaviour long term independent of addiction or other psychiatric issues (glutamate inhibition).

However it does enhance reconsolidation of traumatic memories.

They're both absolutely ****ing terrible even at 100cigs/week or 60units/week. On our study at work looking at treatments for alcoholic hepatitis, there are people who have developed liver hepatitis and cirrhosis at just 50 units/week. Can't speak for cigs though, but talk about not worth the cost...

Short term alcohol is definitely worse since it's got a much stronger acute effect.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is not possible to determine whether drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes is worse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2014
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.