The Student Room Group

Asians & Dentistry/Medicine

Out of the group of asian friends I have, the smartest ones are applying for dentistry or medicine. All the ones who weren't good enough are doing Pharmacy/optometry/bio medicine etc.
Why is this the case?
Why is optometry/pharmacy so much less desirable compared to dentistry and medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Well less money and less prestige in the Asian community. Its all about parenting. 90% of indian doctors strongly steer their kids to do medicine. a handful do other courses but majority do medicine or dentistry.

Also the mentality that because the kids are asian if they do a job which is not that well paid they will face some kind of discrimination however if you are a doctor or dentist that will be only a small possibility.
Reply 2
Original post by sachinisgod
Well less money and less prestige in the Asian community. Its all about parenting. 90% of indian doctors strongly steer their kids to do medicine. a handful do other courses but majority do medicine or dentistry.

Also the mentality that because the kids are asian if they do a job which is not that well paid they will face some kind of discrimination however if you are a doctor or dentist that will be only a small possibility.

Yes I got the impression that its the parents. But even schools are now 'buying' into this. E.g at my college medical/dental applicants get a LOT more attention from the school and are congratulated A lot more when they got offers
Original post by Anonymous
Out of the group of asian friends I have, the smartest ones are applying for dentistry or medicine. All the ones who weren't good enough are doing Pharmacy/optometry/bio medicine etc.
Why is this the case?
Why is optometry/pharmacy so much less desirable compared to dentistry and medicine?

I just feel sorry for those children. They never get to experience what it feels to have a passion for a subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by arrow900
I just feel sorry for those children. They never get to experience what it feels to have a passion for a subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TBF the dental/medical applicants really have worked hard to get offers for dentistry/medicine, I think they are passionate. The optom/pharmacy applicants though dont know anything about the subjects really...
TBF the dental/medical applicants really have worked hard to get offers for dentistry/medicine, I think they are passionate. The optom/pharmacy applicants though dont know anything about the subjects really...

Yes they are passionate about pleasing their parents.
I am referring to the type of passion where learning a subject is no longer classified as "hard work".

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a pakistani girl and my mum constantly wanted me to go into Medicine. When I told her I didn't want to, she would keep asking questions why not, and didn't want to take the fact that I didn't enjoy Biology/Chemistry as an answer and thought the fact that I say I'm squeamish and don't like blood was stupid and that I should learn to live with it. Eventually she has managed to accept the fact that I'm going to go into Electrical Engineering instead since I prefer Maths/Physics but I still feel that she is disappointed in me for not becoming the doctor she wanted me to be. She also told my younger sister that she hopes that my sister gets better grades than I did (I got 5 As at higher level and predicted to get another A at higher and two at advanced higher) and becomes the doctor instead.
Reply 7
Original post by coolgirlaamy
I'm a pakistani girl and my mum constantly wanted me to go into Medicine. When I told her I didn't want to, she would keep asking questions why not, and didn't want to take the fact that I didn't enjoy Biology/Chemistry as an answer and thought the fact that I say I'm squeamish and don't like blood was stupid and that I should learn to live with it. Eventually she has managed to accept the fact that I'm going to go into Electrical Engineering instead since I prefer Maths/Physics but I still feel that she is disappointed in me for not becoming the doctor she wanted me to be. She also told my younger sister that she hopes that my sister gets better grades than I did (I got 5 As at higher level and predicted to get another A at higher and two at advanced higher) and becomes the doctor instead.

lmfao. The best maths student at my school is going to be studying dentistry (100UMS in like, every maths exam). Our maths teacher went to cambridge and actually had a meeting with him and his parents about how good he is at maths and studying a course to do with maths
lmfao. The best maths student at my school is going to be studying dentistry (100UMS in like, every maths exam). Our maths teacher went to cambridge and actually had a meeting with him and his parents about how good he is at maths and studying a course to do with maths

I considered dentistry but I really didn't want to put my hands in other people's mouths and in general, dentists just creep me out, especially my own dentist.
Reply 9
I considered dentistry but I really didn't want to put my hands in other people's mouths and in general, dentists just creep me out, especially my own dentist.

60K+ after training year doesnt sound too bad tho :tongue:, as well as their high social class
Reply 10
60K+ after training year doesnt sound too bad tho :tongue:, as well as their high social class

Dentistry has less to do with Maths at degree level than engineering though and involves the subject she least likes like Biology and Chemistry. I think Asians parents should stop pushing their children to do only Medicine, as it's a very competitive and difficulty course requiring passion and would only lead to disappointment if the child fails to get in or can not master enough joy for the course and work. It's far better to study what you like most in life for then you can give it your all

Spoiler

Medicine and Dentistry are a lot more difficult, competitive and time consuming than Pharmacy. Pharmacy is still fairly well paid, but requires less time in education. I was pushed into studying Biology and Chemistry at A Levels, but ended up really liking them. I just wouldn't consider Medicine because I don't want to spend that long in education, even if most of it is just hospital based training.
Original post by LakAnne
Dentistry has less to do with Maths at degree level than engineering though and involves the subject she least likes like Biology and Chemistry. I think Asians parents should stop pushing their children to do only Medicine, as it's a very competitive and difficulty course requiring passion and would only lead to disappointment if the child fails to get in or can not master enough joy for the course and work. It's far better to study what you like most in life for then you can give it your all

Spoiler

That money indeed. 9-5 5 days a week too...
Why am I not applying for dentistry again????:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Reply 13
That money indeed. 9-5 5 days a week too...
Why am I not applying for dentistry again????:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

because you have to spend 5 years in dentistry school and always in other people mouths Monday to Friday :biggrin:
Original post by LakAnne
because you have to spend 5 years in dentistry school and always in other people mouths Monday to Friday :biggrin:

true.. Both Medicine and Dentistry are disgusting lol
Imagine doing rectal exams??? :tongue:

You're starting to sound like my mum haha
Yes I got the impression that its the parents. But even schools are now 'buying' into this. E.g at my college medical/dental applicants get a LOT more attention from the school and are congratulated A lot more when they got offers

Certain private schools spend a lot more resources and manpower to give attention to Med/Dent applicants.

I remember when i went for an interview at a private school for alevels, they specifically got a Medicine coordinator to come out and confirm my subject choices and asking me to sort out my work experience straight away
You're starting to sound like my mum haha

I mean having a dentist or doctor in the family is a big deal in asians (so I've heard)
Original post by sachinisgod
Certain private schools spend a lot more resources and manpower to give attention to Med/Dent applicants.

I remember when i went for an interview at a private school for alevels, they specifically got a Medicine coordinator to come out and confirm my subject choices and asking me to sort out my work experience straight away

The number of private school/grammar school kids in dentistry/medicine does seem disproportional tbh...
The number of private school/grammar school kids in dentistry/medicine does seem disproportional tbh...

Is it just me or does this seem like a step down in terms of Career prospects.?
I didn't think that Doctors would be able to comfortably pay 10 grand a year for school but I have never been to a private school so I'm not too sure tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending