MEng Civil Engineering in Oil and Gas. Watch

hammy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know the level of difficulty for a civil engineer to get into the oil and gas industry. Also it is possible for civil engineers to become subsea engineers, oil & gas engineers or pipeline engineers?

Furthermore has anyone studied a civil engineering degree and done an MSc related to oil and gas. i.e. Subsea engineering, petroleum/reservoir engineering etc. I would like know your thoughts on difficulty and employment prospects specifically in the oil and gas industry.

Your input and information is much appreciated.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hammy123)
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know the level of difficulty for a civil engineer to get into the oil and gas industry. Also it is possible for civil engineers to become subsea engineers, oil & gas engineers or pipeline engineers?

Furthermore has anyone studied a civil engineering degree and done an MSc related to oil and gas. i.e. Subsea engineering, petroleum/reservoir engineering etc. I would like know your thoughts on difficulty and employment prospects specifically in the oil and gas industry.

Your input and information is much appreciated.
Yes, every year lots of civil/structural engineering graduates are recruited into structural, subsea and pipelines positions in the industry.

I think the difficulty depends somewhat on the links your university has to the industry, but also your work experience and general knowledge of the industry as well. A relevant masters can help, e.g. MSc Subsea Engineering at Aberdeen University, but I would see if you can get in without one first.
hammy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Smack,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I am currently studying an MEng degree in the University of Strathclyde. Just a couple of days ago, the University of strathclyde opened up their own oil and gas institure in which major people like the director of wood group attended. ( Link to article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-27998213 ). Furthermore I have secured a place with a company in their oil in gas unit. What would you think my employment prospects from this would be?

Would I need to complete my degree with a BEng (Hon) and do an MSc in Subsea engineering or could I do the MEng and still get recruited into a Subsea role?

P.S. Currently completed first year.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Loads of Strathcylde grads go straight into industry with their MEng degrees. Your employment prospects will likely be very good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise