The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's only really the snobbish kids who cry when they get below an A*, a C is fine given it can get you where you want to go.

Personally I wouldn't be content with a C, as I feel I work a little too hard.
It's not a bad thing. People just hype themselves up so much that they act as though a 'C' is crap.
Original post by Lauralaughsalot
It's a pass according to most colleges and sixth forms.
What are your opinions about people complaining about Cs when some on the foundation tiers struggle to get what others would be ashamed to get?

People may have higher expectations, standards etc like would you settle for a ford when you can have a Ferrari? If that makes it easier to understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your opinions about people complaining about Cs when some on the foundation tiers struggle to get what others would be ashamed to get?

To be honest, I wouldn't be ashamed of a C. It's a good grade. :smile:

I got a C in Biology, which I was happy about as I thought I would fail!
Due to grade inflation a C isn't that hard to achieve compared to 20 years ago, so it's seen as less of an achievement.
It depends on what your personal targets are.

For anybody claiming somebody who thinks anything below an A* is snobbish maybe they just have higher targets and aim higher.

Both cases are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When people create personal expectations for themselves.
For some, a C is what they want, other students really want an A*. For both cases, anything below that grade will be disappointing, but it's just harder to accept below a C because colleges and sixth forms will consider it a 'fail' which isn't nice to hear at all. Whereas, the student who wanted an A* and perhaps got a B would be a bit disappointed, but the B is still a very good pass.
Basically, it all depends on what you're aiming for.
Nah not really though for English and Maths it kinda is.
Because (especially on this site) If you don't get A* or A you should feel stupid and anything less you aren't worthy of getting into university, especially for "top" courses like medicine.

And competition for university also has soared so the myth seems to be amazing grades = top university, but people seem to forget that yes, grades help, but it's not the only thing and only factor that affects whether you get a place in a course or a job.
They're disappointed because they know / believe they can do better.

Personally, I'd be absolutely ashamed to get a C. However, that is because I am particularly interested in pursuing academics as my career, so of course I'm going to set certain standards for myself. By no means am I setting those 'standards' on everybody - most people don't want the same thing as me. That's fine. All sorts of careers are available, and academics certainly aren't the only important skill to have.
Personally, a C is bad for me because I know I'm capable of getting A*s. I consistently get A/A*s so to get a C would be really disappointing as I would feel like I've failed myself and everyone else. On the other hand, my cousin who got an E in GCSE Maths would have probably been ecstatic with a C instead. It depends on what you're capable of and what your personal targets are really.
Reply 13
Personally I don't think it's bad at all, a C is a pass. It's a relief seeing a C rather than a lower grade because at least you know you've passed!
We all have different standards just because someone is happy to receive doesn't mean I should be or not be unhappy with my B or whatever

I would be really upset with a C because I know that I can do better than that besides at my school a C is seen as a fail anyway
GCSE grade boundaries these days are so low that a person can get 40% (or maybe lower, I have no idea) and get a C, which could be why it's not considered to be worth much?
I would be so happy to get a C grade in my French GCSE as I struggled a lot in French and I don't expect myself to pass the GCSE. I have severe hearing loss in both ears and I missed out on learning the basics in primary school.
Because getting C in gcse is embarassing. everyone gets that. its nothing special.
Imo it depends on how your teacher asseses his/her subject. Some professors give you an A if you followed their subject with enthusiam, while for others, just getting the basic concepts barely allows you to pass. Depends highly where you study and what.
Reply 19
If I got a C, I'd be disappointed, because I'm predicted A*s/As and I know I am capable of achieving them.
It would be odd to get A*s in all mocks and then a C in the real thing, so yes, I'd be sad.
If I got a C I wouldn't be allowed to do the A-Levels I want, which would also annoy me.
But that's just my opinion :smile:

Of course, people have different aims/goals and to them a C might be the equivalent of my 'A', so to speak.
I respect their views - everybody is unique :yep:

If you're happy with it and you can do the things you want to do, nothing else matters.

Latest