Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone share their views on Colchester Institute, or Essex University in general?
    I really want to go to Chichester to study music (that's my firm), however I have put Colchester down as my insurance choice, to study music education.
    I would like to hear your views on the university, and especially from any music students out there! I keep thinking that, if I don't get into my firm, is Colchester still a great enjoyable university? I keep having doubts about whether I would be happy going there or not. I'm still desperate to get into Chichester, but doubtful whether I will get the grades!

As an addition, I'm not into nightclubs/cities/drinking, I'm a stay at home with friends kind of person, I prefer a small uni/campus and I prefer the countryside to city, if that helps?

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just finished my first year at Essex university studying English Literature.

Essex is a campus university, so naturally it's a very different feel to a city university. There are lots going on however, so it's not a particularly quiet campus. Yet in saying that, there are lots of great things going on here apart from drinking and going out. Especially in terms of the front runners scheme, the Big Essex Award and volunteering, all things that are great for your CV. So it's not all about going out.

I would recommend that you apply to South Courts, rather than the towers or meadows. South Courts, where i lived this year, does very much depend on your flatmates, but as a whole it is definitely more quiet than the towers.

Next to Colchester campus, is Wivenhoe. A lovely little village next to a river, great for walks and a pub lunch. People who want to live in a more quiet area, tend to live in Wivenhoe for their second year rather than Greenstead. On campus there is also a lake, which is a relaxing and pretty place to revise, work or just chat with friends.

So yeah, I've really enjoyed my first year at university, but in saying that, I'm more of a clubbing person. If you do come to Essex what i would recommend is that you join a society or club of something you enjoy, this will mean that you make friends with people who enjoy similar things to you.

Alternatively, perhaps you could come and visit the university? It will give you a chance to see whether it's what you're after.

Good luck with your results!

Rachel

ReputationRep:
    Since you would be doing music you would be based at colchester institute which is no where near the actual uni campus.
    Colchester institute is a centre for learning at all levels and ages, and while the tutors are great (I've just finished my ba hons in 3d design and craft there) the organisation of the place and their treatment of their studrnts is worse than poor. If you want to feel like you're back in secondary school then it's the place for you, if not then I would steer well clear of the place.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.