Greenblade
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I should get 12 A*s in my GCSEs this August. I'm really interested in geography, and at the moment I have chosen to take maths, physics, geography and economics for A-level. I know I definitely want to take maths and geography, but I don't know about the other two. Would history or English lit be more helpful for a geography degree than physics or economics? Thanks!
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Greenblade)
I should get 12 A*s in my GCSEs this August. I'm really interested in geography, and at the moment I have chosen to take maths, physics, geography and economics for A-level. I know I definitely want to take maths and geography, but I don't know about the other two. Would history or English lit be more helpful for a geography degree than physics or economics? Thanks!
Neither is really a better choice for Geography. It's such a diverse subject that any of them have aspects that are slightly relevant. I'd suggest taking whichever subjects you enjoy the most.
Greenblade
Rep:
?
Thanks! Anybody else?
Greenblade
Rep:
?
Neuth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What other subjects do you like?
Do you have a career in mind?

Greenblade
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caitlin_3008)
What other subjects do you like?
Do you have a career in mind?

The subjects are like are maths, physics, biology, geography, history, economics and English, and probably something related to human geography
Neuth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The subjects are like are maths, physics, biology, geography, history, economics and English, and probably something related to human geography
I'd say: Biology, Geography, English and something else (Maths? Economics? History?)

Miss_Havisham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love geography too! I've taken geography, history, french and economics but pretty much everyone in my class has chosen a different combination of subjects as geography goes so well with everything
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well done on your GCSE's, that's amazing!!
I think physics and economics are more generally applicable.
stirkee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can do whatever for geography really.

I'd probably say Geog and Biology would be the best choices, and then after that do what you enjoy. If you're good at maths then maths is always a fantastic choice so I'd definitely do that!
78Saab
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably Chemistry or Biology, these subjects will also give you a variety of degrees to choose from if you change your mind about a Geography degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
kdizzle97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My best mate wants to do a Geography degree and wants to do something related to Human Geography when he graduates and he's taking Geography, Biology,Chemistry and English Literature.

The options you've taken sound great for Geography! My Biology teacher says Biology has some aspects closely related to Geography with topics on Biodiversity and Population so maybe you should consider it instead of Physics if you like Biology. It really depends on what other 2 subjects you enjoy and you think you could do well in!
emmakid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a friend who took geography. Biology and eng lit
However, Geology does go well with geography
artisha
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At the moment I do maths, physics, economics ans geography too! I gotta say I love them all
Geography and economics go sooo well together and the stuff you do on waves in physics is quite helpful for the coasts part of geography! Don't take a levels that you think will help you to do the subject at university unless they are specifically mentioned in the entry requirements for the course. Do subjects you like instead, so you have a better chance of doing well in them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nymthae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think all sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) have some roles to play in geography so I think taking any one of those will give you a strong background to apply for geography.

I think your initial choices are great as long as you're interested in them then I don't think you can go wrong with any of the subjects you mentioned as alternatives.
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The practical side of Geography is Geographical Information Systems so check out University College London's M.Sc. in Geographical Information Systems.

Complementary to Geography is: Mathematics, Biology, Sociology.

Mathematics is useful for everything so pursuing Further Mathematics so to get in as much Statistics as possible, wouldn't be a bad move.
KH94
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For a Geography degree I would recommend you take Geography, English Literature, Maths and Economics. This depends on exactly what aspects of geography you wish to study at degree level.

Good luck,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.13%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.1%
Not feeling great... (44)
26.99%
They are TERRIBLE! (42)