Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Equine Science in September, but I'm thinking of switching to a Veterinary course after my first year at a different university. My grades at A Level were slightly lower than needed for entrance into the vet course, which is why I am wanting to do this. I got the idea from my local university who told me that (they personally) would accept me in this manner. However, I am unsure whether other universities would feel the same? Has anyone had any previous experience in a similar experience, or have any advice?

I previously emailed many vet schools, and didn't receive any useful replies from the admission teams. They just advised me to apply for the course and see the outcome. I'd like to start planning ahead a bit, which is why I don't want to wait and do this.

ReputationRep:
    I would think they would still look at your A levels, as they do even for grad applicants to some degree. So I am not sure I see any benefit to doing it this way? I imagine you would be entering the start of the program, same as any 'school leaver' applicant. What courses do you take in first year equine studies? Vet admissions requires the A level courses they require for a reason; that is, they expect you to need to know that material for the course and will not be reteaching it (or at least, not in any depth). Therefore a good grounding in biology, chemistry etc. are necessary. Even if you were taking similar courses to the required A levels in Equine Studies, and at a similar difficulty to vet school, I kind of doubt they would recognize/credit/accept those above A levels, which are, at least in theory, more standardized.

Just my 2 cents though, I don't actually know for sure. Too bad admissions was not more helpful. Maybe if you reply back and say that isn't what you are asking, what you are asking is does their degree accept students currently doing an undergrad degree (but NOT completed) into the vet program, and if so, under what criteria/circumstances?

Good luck! Hopefully someone can better help you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Student0812)
    I'm going to study Equine Science in September, but I'm thinking of switching to a Veterinary course after my first year at a different university. My grades at A Level were slightly lower than needed for entrance into the vet course, which is why I am wanting to do this. I got the idea from my local university who told me that (they personally) would accept me in this manner. However, I am unsure whether other universities would feel the same? Has anyone had any previous experience in a similar experience, or have any advice?

I previously emailed many vet schools, and didn't receive any useful replies from the admission teams. They just advised me to apply for the course and see the outcome. I'd like to start planning ahead a bit, which is why I don't want to wait and do this.
    I would email each vet school you wish to apply to in order to ask whether they would accept this in lieu of your A-levels. Your local university may well do this, but each university will have their own policy so you must email or telephone them directly to find out - I've heard a lot of people been given misinformation about applying to vet school. You might be better off re-doing some of your A levels and applying to the unis who allow re-sits.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2014

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.