Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am an international student at the University of Warwick and I study economics. I moved from India to UK for the first time and initially I was doing well in my tests scored in 60s or 70s,usually in the 60s,but in my final exams I got a 2.2 in every subject except one module.I am worried that it will affect my chance at getting an internship in a firm/bank here.

I took a while to settle in and the other was that I was obsessed about getting a spring/summer week like everyone else and involved myself in too many co-curriculars. I did finally manage to get a summer week but this hampered my results as I got over confident.I have no excuses and I am solely responsible for this.I didn't give my best in the final exams.

I know that most firms require a 2.1 and I have been advised to predict myself a 2.1 at the time of application. Some say its going to be very tough while others say that recruiters don't really take 1st year grades into account as it does not count towards my final degree.

I do understand the cost of my mistake and to not repeat my mistake next year,I have started revising the topics that I messed up badly and have started studying econometrics as well.I will do everything to ensure I get a 2.1 next year and my final year as well

I am concerned that with a 2.2 I might not get an internship next year and this will hamper my job prospects after graduating. So my question is what exactly happens if I don't get an internship next year or with a 2.2 will I still get atleast a chance at an interview if I make a good application. I do have a good CV now as while I am home I will do an internship with an investment bank here and have previously interned elsewhere.To top that I was involved in volunteering work at uni.

If someone had a similar experience please do share.I am really doing my best.I am studying very hard for my 2nd year as well though my exams got over just 3 weeks back. Will appreciate some guidance on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    just to clarify I passed every subject and in only module i managed a 2.1 overall and 2.1 in another sub-module besides everything is a 2.2

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really anything you can do now apart from try your best to secure a 2:1 or better in your remaining two years. I imagine the effect on job prospects would differ between different employers. I recommend preparing a response in advance for being asked about it at interview, but I don't think it'll be devastating; especially as you will have both relevant IB experience from this summer, and volunteering experience at uni to make you stand out.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just put predicted 2:1 on applications/CV - what they don't know/don't ask can't hurt them. Technically you haven't lied and for most places I believe that's all they ask about. Some may ask about first year results and even specific module results and in these cases, be honest and see what happens.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 20, 2014
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.