The Student Room Group

help on armed forces health

Could anyone tell me what the rules is on having scars has anyone had this problem?

Scroll to see replies

Depends where and why. Accidents, no great issue. Incidents of self-harm? Different. Intentional body modification? Depends where.
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
Depends where and why. Accidents, no great issue. Incidents of self-harm? Different. Intentional body modification? Depends where.

Legs and self inflicted was stupid really at least 3 nearly 4 years ago I regret it deeply
For the RAF, more than one episode of deliberate self harm precludes entry.

put 'raf medical self harm' into google and follow the first link to a pdf file.
Reply 4
For the RAF, more than one episode of deliberate self harm precludes entry.

put 'raf medical self harm' into google and follow the first link to a pdf file.

What about navy/army? And it is one episode but some have healed better than others. I never had to go hospital and also I don't have any mental health problems I was stupid and would never do it
Reply 5
Original post by Kirstyy56
What about navy/army? And it is one episode but some have healed better than others. I never had to go hospital and also I don't have any mental health problems I was stupid and would never do it

They are unbelievably sensitive about this kind of thing. Go to the online recruiting FAQ and ask anonymously.
Reply 6
Original post by Clip
They are unbelievably sensitive about this kind of thing. Go to the online recruiting FAQ and ask anonymously.

You can't ask about medical things online otherwise I would and I can understand why but they are not viewable
Reply 7
You can't ask about medical things online otherwise I would and I can understand why but they are not viewable

Your scars aren't visible?
Reply 8
Original post by Clip
Your scars aren't visible?

Sorry I meant they are but like when wearing clothes u can't see them, and is it the same for reserves
Reply 9
Dunno. I think you are going to have to phone up an ACIO anonymously and ask, or go to one and ask.
Reply 10
Original post by Clip
Dunno. I think you are going to have to phone up an ACIO anonymously and ask, or go to one and ask.

I guess so it's just not the best thing to do

Either you want an answer or you don't.

If you do, you have to ask the people who actually make the decisions, not the people who aren't qualified to say.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Either you want an answer or you don't.

If you do, you have to ask the people who actually make the decisions, not the people who aren't qualified to say.

Yeah I do but do u understand
Reply 13

It's better than going through your BARB, interviews and recruit selection only to get slung out at basic training because you didn't know it was going to bar you.

A guy in my training troop started with everyone else and got binned on Day 3 for a heart condition that he never knew he had and lived with every day of his life with no problem.

Having said that, nowadays with pre-medicals being done by your own GP, it might not be a big deal.
Yeah I do but do u understand

If it's going to be an obstacle to an application, it'll be one whether you ask a question now or go through the many selection hurdles before being told. Either way, you're going to find out at some point, so ask now and save everybody some time and effort.
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel you OP, I had a similar problem when I was trying to apply (my mental health history was a fair bit more dubious though so I'm permanently unsuitable :/ ). As the other gents have stated, the only way you'll find out is by speaking to someone at your ACIO. From other people's stories I've heard you may need to speak to a doc at ADSC about it if you do make it further down the selection process, but you'll never know if you don't give it a shot. Best of luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by InsertWittyName
I feel you OP, I had a similar problem when I was trying to apply (my mental health history was a fair bit more dubious though so I'm permanently unsuitable :/ ). As the other gents have stated, the only way you'll find out is by speaking to someone at your ACIO. From other people's stories I've heard you may need to speak to a doc at ADSC about it if you do make it further down the selection process, but you'll never know if you don't give it a shot. Best of luck.

Thankyou everyone
Reply 17
Original post by joeyball
Are the injuries down on your med records as self inflicted?

They aren't on the medical records at all
Original post by joeyball
Then tell a white lie, if they ask just make up a story

TERRIBLE advice. Honesty is the best policy. If you lie and get caught out, you could well be looking at instant dismissal if you do manage to get in.
Reply 19
TERRIBLE advice. Honesty is the best policy. If you lie and get caught out, you could well be looking at instant dismissal if you do manage to get in.

I thanks guys, I just wish it never happened

Quick Reply

Latest