The Student Room Group

Lost, Anxious and Depressed 24 year old Male - Please Help

Hey, I made this post Anon just in case someone I know looks at this post

As the title says I am male, 24 and have had anxiety since age 16 and consequently suffered depression but never done anything 'stupid'.

At age 18, whilst and after completing my BTEC I suffered severe social anxiety and panic attacks, I lost contact with all friends, they stopped speaking to me and vice versa, I became a recluse for a year never leaving the house and was quite a mess.

After turning 19, I received CBT and SSRI meds and managed to leave my house and get a part time job in a bargain shop, I am now 24 and the latter story has been the story of my life ever since, I've had various jobs, quit jobs due to the anxiety, been a temporary recluse after each failure, but forced myself get a new job, and try to put an end to the difficulties I keep facing, but I am just at the point where I can't take the pain anymore and I am pretty much desperate.

I currently work full time in the NHS and have done this job for 10 months, I have nausea and diarrhea without failiure when I wake up and through the day every day (due to the anxiety). Whilst at work I am constantly on edge and tensed up, have a horrible pain in my throat and by the end of each working day I am exhausted with nausea, go home, eat and do the same thing the next day. It's been like this for a few years, I literally have no hope anymore, I don't know how I manage.

And again I am at the point where I want to quit my job, retreat, knowing that I'll receive CBT and probably get a job in few months, but I am terrified to keep doing this.

Please help
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Hey :smile:

First of all know you're not alone, so many people go through this kind of thing!

You might feel at home in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2690046 there are lots of great people there willing to help who know lots about the subject, and at the very least can make you feel less alone :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by james1211
Hey :smile:

First of all know you're not alone, so many people go through this kind of thing!

You might feel at home in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2690046 there are lots of great people there willing to help who know lots about the subject, and at the very least can make you feel less alone :smile:

Cheers, I've pretty much exhausted these kind of online 'Mental Health' forums over the years, it would feel like I am moving back should I seek solace this way again
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Cheers, I've pretty much exhausted these kind of online 'Mental Health' forums over the years, it would feel like I am moving back should I seek solace this way again

Does anyone at work know about your health issues related to working there? Remember they have a duty of care over you!
Reply 5
Original post by james1211
Does anyone at work know about your health issues related to working there? Remember they have a duty of care over you!

I am sure they know, my manager, co-workers and even canteen staff etc are used to me and can see I struggle and sense my anxious vibes, but I've not had any form of support or care. I know that my option is to see Occupational Health, but the best they'll be able to offer is time off work i.e sick note, which I see as failing as it won't get me anywhere.

I have also been indiscreetly but indirectly victimized at work as a 'serial killer' which a 'Senior Band 7' coworker often explains that's what I remind him of, he often says it when I am around, but I can't complain because it would sound like I am paranoid, and in all fairness I've been like this for so long I would probably think similar thoughts about someone else who is like me 'if was to be like them' if that makes sense. I guess it's part of the stigma
Reply 6

As the title says I am male, 24 and have had anxiety since age 16 and consequently suffered depression but never done anything 'stupid'.

At age 18, whilst and after completing my BTEC I suffered severe social anxiety and panic attacks, I lost contact with all friends, they stopped speaking to me and vice versa, I became a recluse for a year never leaving the house and was quite a mess.

After turning 19, I received CBT and SSRI meds and managed to leave my house and get a part time job in a bargain shop, I am now 24 and the latter story has been the story of my life ever since, I've had various jobs, quit jobs due to the anxiety, been a temporary recluse after each failure, but forced myself get a new job, and try to put an end to the difficulties I keep facing, but I am just at the point where I can't take the pain anymore and I am pretty much desperate.

I currently work full time in the NHS and have done this job for 10 months, I have nausea and diarrhea without failiure when I wake up and through the day every day (due to the anxiety). Whilst at work I am constantly on edge and tensed up, have a horrible pain in my throat and by the end of each working day I am exhausted with nausea, go home, eat and do the same thing the next day. It's been like this for a few years, I literally have no hope anymore, I don't know how I manage.

And again I am at the point where I want to quit my job, retreat, knowing that I'll receive CBT and probably get a job in few months, but I am terrified to keep doing this.

Please help

Hey there! I read your post and couldn't 'not' reply to it since I've been going through almost the EXACT same thing. My anxiety and panic attacks only started a year ago but have become quite severe since then :frown: I had to juggle revising for my A2 exams at the same time which was a complete nightmare. I can relate to a lot of what you've mentioned and I wish there was an immediate cure to anxiety and panic attacks. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk! :h:
at last a life, anxiety and panic free by paul david. Download pdf an save to ibooks if possible or buy book off amazon. Been suffering from anxiety/social anxiety/depression from age 19 to 25..have calm through and out the other side through reading this book and getting a better understanding.

You will never get better until you stop trying to get better...

Read the book :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you not been back to your doctor to see what he/she can do? It sounds as though you would benefit from CBT. Who is your support- family/friends?
Reply 9

Please help

Hey

I am sorry to hear what you are going through, as a fellow anxiety sufferer I relate a lot to what you are going through. I barely made it through this past academic year and sometimes I was like it was so tiring trying to cope. Not that I wanted to take my life but I was exhausted from trying to deal with my anxiety and trying to keep up appearances at university. I can only imagine the pressure is harder since you work. I can only advise you to reduce what causes you anxiety, and from what I can see your job doesn't help.

I know the feeling of not wanting to quit, and am not saying you should but you need a break. Ask for some time of work, a substantial amount then in your time off try to get CBT or any other therapy that has helped before. Try to do relaxing stuff, and exercise. Then work on going back to work, but do this slowly. Start working part-time, or even do half days if possible, and gradually increase your hours when you feel you can handle it. I know its cliche but take it one step at time and as I've learned anxiety can't disappear suddenly overnight but it needs to be slowly tackled. Ps don't be too hard on yourself.
I relate a lot to what you were going through. I always wondered how you have coped since you last posted. How are you doing now? PM if you're willing.

Quick Reply

Latest