The Student Room Group

Buying a new car every 3 years ?

Hi all, my car is due for it's first MOT next month and I've heard over the years many people say they get a new car every 3 years because after that cars will start costing you money, will be unreliable and it would be worthwhile to trade it new for a new one.

What are peoples views on this ?
Should I part ex for a new model ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not necessarily, if it's a ford/Vauxhall or anything French it will. I reckon I'd change mine roughly every 2/3 years because it doesn't exactly look good if your still driving the same old banger year after year. That's partly the reason why I got rid of my old Fiesta for my Octavia, which in turn will be going in 2/3 years to be replaced with a Bmw 335/535d. So for me it's mainly an image thing.

What car is it you've got? That might help us make a judgement as to whether you should get rid of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I generally don't buy cars that are older than 6 months old. I usually get rid of it when it is 30 months old.

I don't think it is a good or bad idea to replace it, generally depends on your circumstance. Myself the reason for it is all cars I use generally is bought by "Me Inc" and depreciated over 24 months, from experience many of the cars I had in the past right around 30 months is when they start giving problems and requiring parts that are more expensive to replace, this was most certainly true of the former Audi and Volvos I've had previously and most certainly true of the Alfa Romeos I've had too.
how much money do you people have?

you say that you think cars will get expensive to keep after three years (because they need MOTs?) but how much are you paying each month for the new car?
Reply 4
What you lose in depreciation in the first 3 years would more than cover a few problems if you bought a car at 3 years old and had it for the next three years.

Buying a brand new car is a total waste of money unless it's something you really want and want to keep for a long time.
Let the idiots take the depreciation hit.
Original post by Y333EEE
Not necessarily, if it's a ford/Vauxhall or anything French it will. I reckon I'd change mine roughly every 2/3 years because it doesn't exactly look good if your still driving the same old banger year after year. That's partly the reason why I got rid of my old Fiesta for my Octavia, which in turn will be going in 2/3 years to be replaced with a Bmw 335/535d. So for me it's mainly an image thing.

What car is it you've got? That might help us make a judgement as to whether you should get rid of it.

Image thing?

You think people will look at you differently from when you to drive an Octavia to an 335D/535d? It's an old diesel saloon. People may think you're a printer ink cartridge salesman..
being unreliable and costing you money is not a genuine reason for changing cars every 3 years in this day and age.

in decades gone past cars were by and large a lot less reliable and a lot less rustproof than they are now - I'd say it was probably an acceptable point of view in the 70s, especially if you liked alfas.
Reply 7
Original post by Friggerpants
Image thing?

You think people will look at you differently from when you to drive an Octavia to an 335D/535d? It's an old diesel saloon. People may think you're a printer ink cartridge salesman..

Right up until the moment I put my foot down
You could do it with a 0% PCP plan and just keep returning the vehicle for the GFV and get a new one. Problem is you're stuck with one brand forever unless you pay the ridiculous final payment. My uncle has been doing this with BMW for as long as I can remember.
Original post by Jahe
Hi all, my car is due for it's first MOT next month and I've heard over the years many people say they get a new car every 3 years because after that cars will start costing you money, will be unreliable and it would be worthwhile to trade it new for a new one.

What are peoples views on this ?
Should I part ex for a new model ?

I REALLY want a VW Golf bluemotion

Any way, I've noticed that pretty constantly, for the cars that I like (which tend to be Japanese/German) at the very start, they're like £20,000

In 4 years, they drop to around £10,000

After 4 years, the price drop is a lot more steady

So for that reason, I intend to get a 2012 car in 2016. Keep it for 4 years. Get another one. Repeat

(Currently I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tokyoround
You could do it with a 0% PCP plan and just keep returning the vehicle for the GFV and get a new one. Problem is you're stuck with one brand forever unless you pay the ridiculous final payment. My uncle has been doing this with BMW for as long as I can remember.

That depends on who organises that PCP, if it is through manufacturer then yes but if it is through one of the many leasing or finance companies then you are not stuck with one brand forever but stuck with one finance company forever.

There are also very few cars that you are better off getting it through a PCP versus a HP though unless you have some kind of tax incentives for doing so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Y333EEE
Right up until the moment I put my foot down

People will still think you're a printer ink salesman, albeit in a quick diesel car.

They're not that fast either ;-) Late 5second to 60 is beatable by a lot of hot hatches lol.
Reply 12
People will still think you're a printer ink salesman, albeit in a quick diesel car.

They're not that fast either ;-) Late 5second to 60 is beatable by a lot of hot hatches lol.

I think you're giving away too much credit.
Who *actually* looks at an Octavia or a 5 series long enough to think about whether the driver is repping for printer ink or Bernard Matthews?
If you do spot one tanking down the outside lane you know they are on an urgent mission to toss off and to chomp down a warm and slightly limp egg salad sandwich at the next service station anyway...

Who wants those kind of images lingering on their mind?

Yes if it's got 300bhp+ and is relatively light weight. So the 335d is still a quick car.
Original post by JC.
I think you're giving away too much credit.
Who *actually* looks at an Octavia or a 5 series long enough to think about whether the driver is repping for printer ink or Bernard Matthews?
If you do spot one tanking down the outside lane you know they are on an urgent mission to toss off and to chomp down a warm and slightly limp egg salad sandwich at the next service station anyway...

Who wants those kind of images lingering on their mind?

So you're saying all Octavia drivers a're tossers? Thanks a lot...

My point was that even my Octavia's quicker than most of the heaps most people I went to 6th form with still drive. They're Still driving the same beat up old Peugeots etc or they drive one of those stupid limited edition Corsas financed by mommy and daddy

0-60 in 5ish seconds is still quicker than %99 of the cars on the road.

What hot hatch can do it in sub 6 seconds though? Most are in the 6 second region.
Original post by Camoxide
0-60 in 5ish seconds is still quicker than %99 of the cars on the road.

What hot hatch can do it in sub 6 seconds though? Most are in the 6 second region.

It's a diesel saloon car.................

How often do you race 99% of over cars on the road?

Plenty can, Golfs, Sciroccos, Focus', Meganes etc.
It's a diesel saloon car.................

How often do you race 99% of over cars on the road?

Plenty can, Golfs, Sciroccos, Focus', Meganes etc.

GTI is 6.3 http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/volkswagen/golf/gti-2013/57643/

Focus ST is also 6.3 http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ford/focus/st-2012/56518/

Megane is the only one sub 6 seconds http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/renault/megane/renaultsport-2010/55076/

And even then they're not going to be able to keep up with the rear wheel driven bmw in the corners.

The 335D isn't really for racing though it's just nice to know you have all that power at your disposal. Over taking would be a breeeeeze.
You can't say that the current 335D isn't quick though. 0-60 4.6 seconds http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/bmw/3-series/saloon-2012/60851/

That's as quick as an Aston! http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/aston-martin/vanquish/coupe-2001/21304/
Original post by Camoxide

Megane is the only one sub 6 seconds http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/renault/megane/renaultsport-2010/55076/

And even then they're not going to be able to keep up with the rear wheel driven bmw in the corners.

You clearly haven't driven one on track, it will give any 1 or 3 series a good run for its money and will beat it on a twisty circuit unless it is the 135M or M3. RWD is good in the corners but it isn't the be all and end all.

Sub 5 hot hatch, you clearly missed out the Golf R, latest one does it in sub-5 seconds.
Original post by Alfissti
You clearly haven't driven one on track, it will give any 1 or 3 series a good run for its money and will beat it on a twisty circuit unless it is the 135M or M3. RWD is good in the corners but it isn't the be all and end all.

Sub 5 hot hatch, you clearly missed out the Golf R, latest one does it in sub-5 seconds.

Nope. My opinion is based off a friends older Fiesta ST so I guess they've come a long way since then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending