Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya

So I'm studying Russian in September and I still haven't learnt my alphabet cause I'm lazy and rubbish at teaching myself but anyway could anyone tell me if this is how my name would look in Russian:
    Бетан
    A translator thing said that is Bethan in Russian but I just wanted to know!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly cudos on doing Russian at uni! You got my blessing and I wish you best of luck!

I'd translate your name as "Betty" i.e. Бэтти. I'm sure I've met "Betty" in Russian books. Бетан sounds like a boys name in Russian, the reason is that in Russian girls names always end with a vowel, whilst boys full names end with a consonant. Boys short names almost always end with a vowel as well. There must be a few exeptions but I can't even think of one!

ReputationRep:
    So I'm studying Russian in September
    Hi ! Just out of interest, what is it you like about Russian and what made you decide to want to do it at uni ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chestnyh Psihov)
    Hi ! Just out of interest, what is it you like about Russian and what made you decide to want to do it at uni ?
    Heya

Errrm, well I love the history and background and I've read a lot of books by people like Solzhenitsyn, Nabokov and Bulgakov which I've loved. I've also always wanted to learn a language with a different alphabet and I was just automatically attracted to Russia!
    I also love cold weather and vodka :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    Firstly cudos on doing Russian at uni! You got my blessing and I wish you best of luck!

I'd translate your name as "Betty" i.e. Бэтти. I'm sure I've met "Betty" in Russian books. Бетан sounds like a boys name in Russian, the reason is that in Russian girls names always end with a vowel, whilst boys full names end with a consonant. Boys short names almost always end with a vowel as well. There must be a few exeptions but I can't even think of one!
    Oooh wow I get it - I should have thought about it. My grandma's name is Betty

Thanks for all the information and you'll have to shout at me when I keep annoying you in future - I'm really looking forward to it although I know it'll be hard!!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh the Cyrillic alphabet is bugging me. I'm fine with most consonants, but vowels are tough. I'm getting there though, I had five lessons or so in Ukraine and did 3 hours alone on the alphabet, so I must have achieved something in that time. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wish I'd been able to motivate myself, I'm just convincing myself that when we get there it'll be really really beginners, if fast paced!!

ReputationRep:
    Russian's a fabulous language, best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Russian also!! yay. can't waiiiiit!

okay heres a question...does hannah translate to Anya or Anna?
    and last names? in czech its is Hall-> Hallova *i imagine* that is the same in russian, non? [hallova sounds sooooo stupid]

ReputationRep:
    ^ Anya is short for Anna

Like these names:

Alexander = Sasha
    Ekaterina = Katya
    Maria = Masha
    Ivan = Vanya
    Mikhail = Misha

and so on....

You can also be called "Anyuta", "Anyutka" i "Anechka" by close friends / family.

My name Tatiana goes to Tania, and for close friends it's "Tanusha" (my TSR name!) or "Tanushka" or "Tanechka"

ReputationRep:
    All the different forms of Russian names make it pretty hard to keep track when you're reading Russian novels, sometimes. What is "Kolya" short for, by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danileigh)
    Russian's a fabulous language, best of luck to you!

Just to say I totally agree, and don't regret beginning to learn a language, which at first seemed very difficult. But when you get used to it, you can appreciate how its difficult grammar can add to its value as a language.
    Good Luck, hope you enjoy learning russian as much as I do :>

Best regards.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Anya is short for Anna

Like these names:

Alexander = Sasha
    Ekaterina = Katya
    Maria = Masha
    Ivan = Vanya
    Mikhail = Misha

and so on....

You can also be called "Anyuta", "Anyutka" i "Anechka" by close friends / family.

My name Tatiana goes to Tania, and for close friends it's "Tanusha" (my TSR name!) or "Tanushka" or "Tanechka"

ah thanks for the explanation!!

i knw that in czech names like Ales, change to Alesi/Alesco [apologises for lack of accents and phonetic spellin as thats my limit in czech]

does russian change the endings of names depeding on whether you are talkin about or to sum1? again i knw this from czech...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burntgorilla)
    All the different forms of Russian names make it pretty hard to keep track when you're reading Russian novels, sometimes. What is "Kolya" short for, by the way?
    Nikolay = Kolya (+KOlen'ka) >>>>>>>>> Nickolas/Nick in English
    Sergey = Serezha (+Serezhen'ka)
    Andrey = Andrey (+Andryusha) >>>>>>>>> Andrew
    Yevgeniya = Zhenja (girl) (+Zhenechka) >>>>>>>>> Jennifer/ Jenni
    Yevgeniy = Zhenya (boy) (+Zhenechka) >>>>>>>>> Eugene
    Anastasiya = Nastya (+ Nastenka, Nastyusha)
    Yuliya = Yulya (+Yulenka, Yulechka) >>>>> Julia/Julie
    Olga = Olya (+Olenka, Olechka)

Any names to be translated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondemoment)
    does russian change the endings of names depeding on whether you are talkin about or to sum1? again i knw this from czech...
    Yeah the endings do change... But only if you speak Russian (keep it simple if you speak to a Russian person in English )

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, thank you for that. I have enough trouble keeping track of the three names of people in novels, and then when they drop in the nicknames I get confused even more.

ReputationRep:
    i always thought Anya was short for Anastacia:confused:
    Anywho I too am going to do Russian at uni, with Spanish
    I'm following a teach-yourself course thinghy at the moment, which is easy now but I have only done the first 2 chapters
    I don't like the Russian equivilent of my name (John----Ivan) so I'm going to be Vlad. End of. Unless I find a cooler sounding Russian name, which is doubtful, tho I could be cheeky and go for Ksandr (Russian equivilent of Xander, wait no that's lame). Meh.
    Meenya zavoot Vlad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the endings do change... But only if you speak Russian (keep it simple if you speak to a Russian person in English )
    sorry yeah i mean when speaking russian. i was just wonderin, im an absolute beginner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    i always thought Anya was short for Anastacia:confused:
    Anywho I too am going to do Russian at uni, with Spanish
    I'm following a teach-yourself course thinghy at the moment, which is easy now but I have only done the first 2 chapters
    I don't like the Russian equivilent of my name (John----Ivan) so I'm going to be Vlad. End of. Unless I find a cooler sounding Russian name, which is doubtful, tho I could be cheeky and go for Ksandr (Russian equivilent of Xander, wait no that's lame). Meh.
    Meenya zavoot Vlad
    [oops posted twice]

how did u learn the alphabet with that book? i have it and that bit was rubbish!

lol i actually know someone called Vladimir, but he gets called Vladi [again thats prob the czech case system tho]

ReputationRep:
    Is that the book with the scuba diving dude on the cover? I thought the alphabet was quite easy to learn with that, except for a few vowels and weird ones (I never really quite understood what it was on about with that "Spanish sherry" phrase"). I thought the book spent a bit too much time on stuff that you'd only want as a tourist, though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.