Turn on thread page Beta

Online Gambling Problem :/ Lost a lot of money. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm starting University this September in Wales which I'm very happy about.

I'm was made redundant a few months ago and had £2,000 to my name.

However, I've I wanted to win some money to take to University so I can live comfortably and have a nice safety net.

I ended up depositing £100 to a betting site and won £400 on my first go (probably the worst thing that can happen). I carried on betting with this and ended up losing the £400 + my original £100.

I began chasing my losses a few days ago and kept depositing £100 and betting it hoping to 'draw even' and tell myself I will stop when I break even.

I've now ended up losing £1,500 of my £2,000 on gambling and just can't stop chasing my losses, I don't know what's wrong with me because this isn't like my personality at all. I just convinced myself I could win like £5,000 in time for Uni and live a nice comfortable life down in Wales but obviously it's all gone wrong.

I'm in the process of selling my bedroom furniture but I worry I'll lose my £500 that I have left and also whatever else I make from selling by trying to win back my original money.

I feel really sick now and all I can think about is this money I've lost. I'm disgusted with myself and am starting to feel depressed due to my new found weakness.

What can I do? How can I stop chasing my losses? What can I tell myself to stop betting and also how can I move past this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that dude The first thing to do is ask for some help from a trusted family member or friend, get someone else to hold on to your money for you. I know it will be uncomfortable to do this, but think how much more uncomfortable it will be if you lose all of it.

Keep in mind, as painful as this is, that online gambling sites are designed so that you will win the first time. That first 400 pounds you won was completely calculated by the gambling site. These websites aren't in business because a young uni student can just hop on and win 5,000 pounds. They're in business because they slowly but steadily take your cash, as you now know.

Please do get some help, get someone else to hold onto your money, and seek some professional help, cognitive behavioural therapy, or similar to deal with this problem.

ReputationRep:
    Just take a step back and have a breather. It's not the end of the world. Gambling is addictive, it's a drug. The feeling you get when you've won is amazing, to the point that we want to get that feeling back so much that we'll take risks. Which is why we lose money. You never see a poor bookie.

Never bet more than you can afford to lose. I give myself a tenner every week to bet with, if I win. I withdraw 80% of it straight away, that way it's gonna take 3-5 days to go into my account so I'm not able to bet with it/lose it. Then I'll just use the rest of what I've won to bet with.

I only ever bet with accumulators. I pick 4 teams and put a tenner on it. Winnings aren't massive, but nor is the risk. It slowly builds up.

I've lost big money before and I've felt like rubbish. Just take a break from betting for a bit. It's really not the end of the world, just take it as a lesson learnt. Take a break from betting and clear your head. Things will be fine mate don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

How can I forget about this though and move on? All I can think about is all that money I've lost and how it could've gone to better use :/

As you can tell by the time stamp it's keeping me up all night and I'm replying at 3:30am because I literally can't sleep because of these losses.

I need advice on how I can forget about it/not allow myself to be effected by it?

ReputationRep:
    I never lost anything gambling yet as I really want to do it. It's psychotic, yes, but I just want quick cash and then you know...get the hell out! If I go in thinking that I'm sure I'll be fine. And I know how you feel just b/c I recently had my card locked because I subbed to a website and it basically scammed me. It said "free trial" and that after my trial expires I will pay monthly $19.95. Like 5 min later I get an email from my bank that I was in negative range because not only did I immediately get charged the sub fee I got charged some random $39.95 thing =\ I still don't even know what it is and I just reported fraud :teehee: So my bank locked my acct and Idk what to do :afraid: Idek if I have to pay it back or if it's over b/c my acct is locked...orr.....what. What're you gonna do? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonn123)
    Can't believe what I've done, can't even sleep and I just feel like crying.
    The past is the past, you have made a mistake and that is OK providing you learn from it now.

Pull whatever money you have out of your betting accounts.
    Cancel the accounts.
    Download this: http://getcoldturkey.com/ and block all of the betting sites you use and any other popular ones for a period of months.
    Calm down and just remember atleast you haven't got yourself into massive debts like many do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    The past is the past, you have made a mistake and that is OK providing you learn from it now.

Cancel the accounts.
    Download this: http://getcoldturkey.com/ and block all of the betting sites you use and any other popular ones for a period of months.
    Calm down and just remember atleast you haven't got yourself into massive debts like many do.
    (Original post by Idle)

Cancel the accounts.
    Thanks that's really helpful, I'll download that.

I feel like I've learnt from my mistake but I'm just having trouble moving past it and forgetting about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonn123)
    Thanks that's really helpful, I'll download that.

I feel like I've learnt from my mistake but I'm just having trouble moving past it and forgetting about it.
    I know precisely what you mean, but you should keep in mind that what is not going to make you feel better is gambling the remaining money. Think how bad you will feel if you woke up a couple of days from now and the rest of the money was gone.

The other advice that has been given to you is good advice. It's a mistake, and you will feel miserable over it. But take it as one of life's lessons, and please stop gambling any more money.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most uncivilised. See the money you have lost as a lesson and that should help you to stop gambling.

Gambling is exceptionally addictive, and it's easy to be exceptionally irrational with betting amounts (especially when you have just started gambling). Its well worth just seeing that lost money as a learning curve, and move on. Never bet big money because when you lose it it really does become a big deal.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.