The Student Room Group

Are English/American people the most racist?

A large amount of English people are...racist. The majority are not. But its a huge amount and racism is increasing rapidly. Islamaphobia nearly qaudrupled and racism towards immigrants has doubled. And the Americans are on a whole new level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No try the european continent far more racist
The french and greeks have actually elected nazis
Sigh. Whites aren't the only racists. Ironically.
I agree with OP.
First of all, there's racism everywhere. Of course it's more concentrated, more vile, more deep in some places as opposed to others. But, as Yani Baby noted, white people are not the only one to be racist.

It's too easy to just blame it on white people. Arabs can be just as racist, if not more. Asians, East (Mongolia, China, Japan, Taiwan, etc.), South-East, South, they're all usually very racist places.

Even here in Africa, Africans are racist towards other Africans. Well, of course they are. That's the whole point of tribal wars and ethnic cleanses. They can't stand each other, and each one thinks the other is worse.

So for you to say that the UK/USA are the two most racist countries, it's kind of bull. I mean, yes, both countries have a long history of racial abuse. Both countries are known to be racist and you often hear of people, such as Treyvon Martin, getting killed simply because of the color of their skin.

But also remember that these countries have laws protecting racial and ethnic minorities. They are organizations set up to combat this racism. There is work done every day against it. And like you said, the majority of people are not racist.

I'd also like to point out, that the very fact you hear about these stories in the news and see them in papers, that's a good sign. It means, as a whole, we find this to be a horrible thing and we report it, so it gains awareness in the papers. In all the places I just sighted, you never hear about the racism there. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's crippling, even. But they find it normal, so no one bothers to talk about it. The racism is accepted as a part of every day life.

So I wouldn't say the UK/USA are the most racist of peoples. Yes, it's where the racism is most heard about, but that's precisely because it's being combatted. For every story you hear of racism in the UK or the USA, how many stories are you not hearing from Russia, Ukraine, China, Uganda, etc?

White people can be racist, but to pin them as the most racist, is a stone's throw too far.
Hell no, go to India/Africa/China someday...then you will now cultural racism like never before.
Reply 6
No.
Reply 7
Original post by Yani_Baby93
Sigh. Whites aren't the only racists. Ironically.

That's why the OP said English and American.
No, go to somewhere like South Africa and see some real racism.
Compared to what countrys? Saudi Arabia? Pakistan? lol. You people can't be spoken to, you call the most tolerant nations in the world 'racist', one which even has a Black President, simply because you may have an issue. You can't be rationalized with when you say the most retarded bone idol things. You people can't separate reality from your own bigoted emotions, so you come up with stuff like that.
Apparently the Japanese are.
Original post by LoicInAfrica
So for you to say that the UK/USA are the two most racist countries, it's kind of bull. I mean, yes, both countries have a long history of racial abuse. Both countries are known to be racist and you often hear of people, such as Treyvon Martin, getting killed simply because of the color of their skin.

Really, was he really killed just because he was black? I watched that case everyday and it seemed to me that there was more to what the mainstream media were spewing out. Assault on any person is a crime and it is dangerous to assault someone where there are laws that allow one to protect themselves with the use of deadly force (if they feel that their life is in danger).
Original post by DiddyDec
Really, was he really killed just because he was black? I watched that case everyday and it seemed to me that there was more to what the mainstream media were spewing out. Assault on any person is a crime and it is dangerous to assault someone where there are laws that allow one to protect themselves with the use of deadly force (if they feel that their life is in danger).

I think it's pretty undeniable that Zimmerman decided to pursue Martin because he thought he looked "suspicious", i.e he saw that he was black and decided to follow him. No one is contesting the legality of assault, however I find it very hard to believe that Treyvon Martin, a teenage kid, who had just gone to buy some Skittles, had any intent of assaulting Zimmerman.

I can tell, without even checking, that those images you shared are from Fox News. That's their favorite tactic. They post a picture of a gun, with a suspected black person, and they never directly show you that they're holding the gun, but kind of implicitly say "Eh? Eh? You see? Eh, look at that."
Reply 13
OP should see how Indians/Pakistanis are treated by Arabs, that's good old racism.

Asking if you eat curry in a funny voice, is not a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But Islam isn't even a race. England at least to my knowledge isn't racist, they're more accommodating than some other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hertz
A large amount of English people are...racist. The majority are not. But its a huge amount and racism is increasing rapidly. Islamaphobia nearly qaudrupled and racism towards immigrants has doubled. And the Americans are on a whole new level.

You haven't spent much time on the continent have you? (Spain, Greece, Italy, Eastern Europe...)
Original post by Ggmu!
OP should see how Indians/Pakistanis are treated by Arabs, that's good old racism.

Asking if you eat curry in a funny voice, is not a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In UAE, Indians are treated soo bad.

As a Indian lover, sometimes I felt like slapping these bloody arabs. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LoicInAfrica
I think it's pretty undeniable that Zimmerman decided to pursue Martin because he thought he looked "suspicious", i.e he saw that he was black and decided to follow him. No one is contesting the legality of assault, however I find it very hard to believe that Treyvon Martin, a teenage kid, who had just gone to buy some Skittles, had any intent of assaulting Zimmerman.

I can tell, without even checking, that those images you shared are from Fox News. That's their favorite tactic. They post a picture of a gun, with a suspected black person, and they never directly show you that they're holding the gun, but kind of implicitly say "Eh? Eh? You see? Eh, look at that."

Actually those pictures were a stark contrast to all the other news channels which showed the picture of a child to further force the idea of innocence.

Zimmerman saw a suspicious person walking down an alley, it was dark. He was not to following the person because they were black, he was following due to suspicion. Martin may not have intended to assault Zimmerman, however he did. Which led to his unfortunate demise.
Original post by DiddyDec
Actually those pictures were a stark contrast to all the other news channels which showed the picture of a child to further force the idea of innocence.

Zimmerman saw a suspicious person walking down an alley, it was dark. He was not to following the person because they were black, he was following due to suspicion. Martin may not have intended to assault Zimmerman, however he did. Which led to his unfortunate demise.

Florida is a state known for it's high level of racism, outside of cities like Miami and Tampa. Places like Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Fort Lauderdale, have a history of arresting African-Americans, based on false charges. Especially in recent times, the police have been engaging in this as well.

Treyvon was like any other average 17 year old teenager in the United States. He was smoking weed, and decided to go get some Skittles. He also dressed in the fashion of his social environment. Baggy clothing, hoodies, etc. He was your typical African-American teenager. No reports of violent behavior ever came up.

Zimmerman clearly noticed him walking down the street, with a hoodie and baggy pants, and noticed he was black. This set off in his prejudiced mind a huge alarm. Black, hoodie, walking around at night. It might as well have been Tupac walking down the street, guns blazing. Thus deciding to follow Martin, he probably harassed him and antagonized him, probably causing some kind of physical violence or at the very least frightened Martin to a great extent. If Martin had assaulted him, which isn't necessarily the case, then it was purely in self-defense. At which point Zimmerman used this as an excuse to shoot him, in his own alleged self-defense.

Martin was clearly persecuted for his skin color. His only problem was being at the wrong place at the wrong time. If a white kid had walked down that street, in the same outfit, Zimmerman would've assumed him to be part of the neighborhood and would've done nothing.
It's probably the lowest. The media only reports racism when it's committed by a white man from a rich country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending