ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me do this question please I'm stuck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyhigh12)
    Can someone help me do this question please I'm stuck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. find a common denominator (this is the lowest common multiple of the fractions- so in this case 6)
    2. multiply both sides through by that LCM (so you get 3x + 2x = 180)
    3. simplify and solve for x (so 5x=180, therefore x=36)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks lot for your help so when you find the common denominator you have to multiply the fractions diagonally right? E.g 3 times X and 2 times X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks lot for your help so when you find the common denominator you have to multiply the fractions diagonally right? E.g 3 times X and 2 times X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The absolute easiest way of doing these questions, is by multiplying everything by each denominator. So first times all 3 number by 2, then by 3. A common denominator is not needed for questions where you need to find X.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help on this aswell?
    I would really appreciate it
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fajitamunch)
    The absolute easiest way of doing these questions, is by multiplying everything by each denominator. So first times all 3 number by 2, then by 3. A common denominator is not needed for questions where you need to find X.
    This is no different to the previous solution. What you're doing is the same thing because you're multiplying by 2; then by 3 which would be 2x3=6 and you're done much faster.

@skyhigh12: In problems like these what you need to do is get rid of the fractions. To do that you have to multiply by a common denominator as it was suggested earlier.

What's troubling you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys I get it now, could you lot help me on the last two questions I posted on my last comment please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willius)
    This is no different to the previous solution. What you're doing is the same thing because you're multiplying by 2; then by 3 which would be 2x3=6 and you're done much faster.

@skyhigh12: In problems like these what you need to do is get rid of the fractions. To do that you have to multiply by a common denominator as it was suggested earlier.

What's troubling you?
    Well it is different, because in more complex equations where you have denominators of like 43, 57, 54 etc, good luck finding a common denominator.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help on this aswell?
    I would really appreciate it
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    For your second link, the 'm' stands for midpoint - the middle value. You can find it by adding the grouped data (20 < a < 30 => 20+30 = 50) and the divide it by 2 (= 25). Then for the second midpoint, it would be 30+50 = 80 and divide it by 2 (= 40).

For the mxf, it means the midpoint multiplied by the frequency. So you'd do your first midpoint (25) and times it by your first frequency (20) and get 500. Then for the second mxf, it would be 40 x 40 = 1600.

ReputationRep:
    First multiply everything by two, then multiply everything by 3, you should get 5x = 180, x = 36

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 8, 2014

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.