Antibiotics advice

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Anon or delete!!!!

I have a severe infection in my toe nails and I have had it for a few months. I went to my GP last week and she give me some flucloxacilin (spelling) antibiotics.

My toes are healing up, but my course of antibiotics is nearly over. I think I need some more antibiotics, but it's really difficult going to the GP and I can't really afford them (I'm a student but I will not be eligible for that certificate thing you get).

My mum has some penicillin left over from last time she was given some antibiotics from the gp. Should I take the penicillin once I have used up all of my antibiotics?

I fully understand about antibiotic resistance and things, but it is so much hassle trying to get to the GP (I would have to get 3 different busses there and you can't even book an appointment over the phone, you have to go there and wait. So I would be doing a 2 hour trip there and then 2 hours back just to possibly find out I can't get an appointment).

Should I use my mums penicillin??
trustmeimlying1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anon or delete!!!!

I have a severe infection in my toe nails and I have had it for a few months. I went to my GP last week and she give me some flucloxacilin (spelling) antibiotics.

My toes are healing up, but my course of antibiotics is nearly over. I think I need some more antibiotics, but it's really difficult going to the GP and I can't really afford them (I'm a student but I will not be eligible for that certificate thing you get).

My mum has some penicillin left over from last time she was given some antibiotics from the gp. Should I take the penicillin once I have used up all of my antibiotics?

I fully understand about antibiotic resistance and things, but it is so much hassle trying to get to the GP (I would have to get 3 different busses there and you can't even book an appointment over the phone, you have to go there and wait. So I would be doing a 2 hour trip there and then 2 hours back just to possibly find out I can't get an appointment).

Should I use my mums penicillin??
NO.

you could have a potential allergic reaction:?

you dont know the doses etc....

Go there and wait.explain your situation.if needs be youll have to find the money.dont use hers.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
No, go back to the GP. If you really think you need more antibiotics then you have to go through them in case you're wrong. Antibiotics are bad for you so you should only use them when you have to. Taking the Penicillin might do more harm than good if it's not exactly what you need. Put up with the bus journeys or see if you can get a lift by car from someone? Do any of your friends or close relatives have a car and some free time to help you out? Or figure out how much a taxi costs, if a taxi could take a more direct route than buses then it might be worth it but if the bus routes are pretty direct and take two hours anyway then obviously a taxi would be stupidly expensive. Does your surgery take phone call appointments? Mine just started and they let you have a 5 minute phonecall with a GP for stuff that doesn't need a full appointment so maybe it would be worth calling to see if you should bother doing the travelling.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you all for your comments/advice.

I will go to the GP.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you all for your comments/advice.

I will go to the GP.
FYI if you want people to know you replied to them then press the reply or +" button by their answer, otherwise they won't know you've replied without checking back to the thread.
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you not have any surgeries or walk-in centres closer to you at all?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads