The Student Room Group

Building surveying?

Hi ,I'm considering applying for undergraduate building surveying next year at Northumbria and just wondered if there were any current or old students who have either taken building surveying or gone to Northumbria that could give me advice about stuff like: is the course good, how many people apply for courses like that and any ideas on what to put in my personal statement to make myself seem really interested in the subject. Also I'm dyslexic will that affect my chance in anyway?. Thanks :smile:
Bump! I'm hoping to possibly get into building surveying at Northumbria through clearing this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RandomGuy123
Bump! I'm hoping to possibly get into building surveying at Northumbria through clearing this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool do you know around how many places are up for clearing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DanD97
Oh cool do you know around how many places are up for clearing?

No idea, I just found out I could get funding today so I emailed Northumbria after that to ask. Hopefully get a reply tomorrow :yes:
No idea, I just found out I could get funding today so I emailed Northumbria after that to ask. Hopefully get a reply tomorrow :yes:

Awsome, please let me know how that turns out it'd calm me down alot to think some places go to clearing :biggrin:, just out of interest what qualifications are you applying with? (If that's not too nosey of course :smile: )
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DanD97
Awsome, please let me know how that turns out it'd calm me down alot to think some places go to clearing :biggrin:, just out of interest what qualifications are you applying with? (If that's not too nosey of course :smile: )

Yeah ill let you know no problem :yes:
I've got a BTEC National Diploma in IT with extended project, worked out at 420 UCAS points. I was at the open day last week and was told I would be offered a place based on my grades.

Been in full time word for the last three years but really fed up and fancy a change, looked into this and it seems it would suit me really well!
Yeah ill let you know no problem :yes:
I've got a BTEC National Diploma in IT with extended project, worked out at 420 UCAS points. I was at the open day last week and was told I would be offered a place based on my grades.

Been in full time word for the last three years but really fed up and fancy a change, looked into this and it seems it would suit me really well!

Haha this is quite a coincidence I'm actually the other lad from the talk! :biggrin: can you remember what they said about 360 ucas unconditional offers or was that just for architecture?
Original post by DanD97
Haha this is quite a coincidence I'm actually the other lad from the talk! :biggrin: can you remember what they said about 360 ucas unconditional offers or was that just for architecture?

Haha that's awsome! You missed a lovely tour after the talk, by a woman that had no idea what she was on about

Erm if I remember correctly it's 300 needed, it was 320 for real estate I'm sure. I don't remember 360 being mentioned at all :s-smilie: could be wrong like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha that's awsome! You missed a lovely tour after the talk, by a woman that had no idea what she was on about

Erm if I remember correctly it's 300 needed, it was 320 for real estate I'm sure. I don't remember 360 being mentioned at all :s-smilie: could be wrong like

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well a lower ucas than I thought is good :smile: , could you tell me how good the facilities looked please?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DanD97
Well a lower ucas than I thought is good :smile: , could you tell me how good the facilities looked please?

Yeah shouldn't be too hard to get 300 I think.

I'm no expert at all on what would be good facilties but I was quite impressed, we were shown one room that had a range of the equipment and tools we could use on the course, it did look quite good, they had a mini house set up with different types of flooring insulation roofing etc, so hopefully there is more like that!
Had no reply so I called them yesterday, there are places available to apply through clearing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had no reply so I called them yesterday, there are places available to apply through clearing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant mate that's really good to hear, did they say anything about how many places were available or if it's usual for them to have left over places? :biggrin:
No they didn't. All she said was yes. But she said it pretty quickly so it seemed like she knew off the top of her head!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No they didn't. All she said was yes. But she said it pretty quickly so it seemed like she knew off the top of her head!

Posted from TSR Mobile

been a while, did you get onto the course? Also around how many people are also doing the course? Thanks
Hello pal. Yeah I got on no problem! I'm enjoying it soo far, there's only about 20 of us doing it so a small group! Any questions just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool well done mate, Is that 20 just for building surveying or mixed. Do you know around what grades the others got and if any were also on clearing? Just curious, sending my application off this week possibly :biggrin:!
Hello pal. Yeah I got on no problem! I'm enjoying it soo far, there's only about 20 of us doing it so a small group! Any questions just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, just a quick question, around how many hours of lecturs and stuff are there each week? And is there a large workload? Thanks
Hi sorry for the late reply! Haha

Erm there's just 20 for the building surveying yeah.

And we are in 2 hours on a Tuesday, 4 on a Wednesday and 7 on a Thursday.

The workload isn't too bad at the moment but I have a feeling it'll get worse soon.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending