The Student Room Group

how many reps do you go up in each exercise every workout?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doob
Back workout:

-5 sets of dumbbell pullovers, i increase by about 4 total reps each workout
-5 sets of barbell rows last week i did 11,11,11,11,12
this week i got 12,12,12,12,12
-5 sets of power shrugs
-5 sets of dumbbell shrugs

as for the bold, why is it daft? I am progressively overloading, just at a slower rate than most people do.

i dont have a proper program because i am working out from home with no power rack.

my diet is fine 100> grams of fat a day, ample volume for hormone needs, im in a caloric surplus and have about 120g of protein a day

That's a ridiculous amount of volume and nigh on impossible to gain any substantial muscle on as a natty. You'd be better served by pendley rows and bench DB rows for your back and sticking to around 5-8 reps for progression as you don't have enough weight. Chin ups and pullups aswell are a possibility, a bar costs very little.

maybe its because i started puberty later than others? I have no idea, most people my age can grow a fair amount of facial hair, i started pubertyat 13, i used to eat lesss than 1500 calories a day for years on end with lots of cardio, now i eat 3000 calories a day. Im guessing my hormones are ****ed from under-eating for so long

It's got nothing to do with hormones, it has everything to do with programming

Original post by Doob
i dont train specifically for strength, otherwise i would be a fat powerlifter and be doing 5x5. currently, that is not my goal, as i dont have the equipment possible, im not whining either really, im just wondering as to why other people can make better progress than me despite that fact i bust my ass when i workout,progressively overload, and eat fine.

5x5 is a hybrid rep range of hypertrophy and muscle. 3x3 is pure strength work.. not that rep ranges have much point.
Your progressive overload is next to non-existant if you're maxing out your weight and trying to progress on 10+ reps.

You need to either buy a rack, a bench and another 100kg of weight minimum or join a gym.

If you live in a city "the gym" is a half decent chain and is a tenner a month so money shouldn't be too much of a problem.
You can find some cheaper places, there's guys on here paying £8 a month.
Reply 21
Original post by Angry cucumber
That's a ridiculous amount of volume and nigh on impossible to gain any substantial muscle on as a natty. You'd be better served by pendley rows and bench DB rows for your back and sticking to around 5-8 reps for progression as you don't have enough weight. Chin ups and pullups aswell are a possibility, a bar costs very little.

It's got nothing to do with hormones, it has everything to do with programming

5x5 is a hybrid rep range of hypertrophy and muscle. 3x3 is pure strength work.. not that rep ranges have much point.
Your progressive overload is next to non-existant if you're maxing out your weight and trying to progress on 10+ reps.

You need to either buy a rack, a bench and another 100kg of weight minimum or join a gym.

If you live in a city "the gym" is a half decent chain and is a tenner a month so money shouldn't be too much of a problem.
You can find some cheaper places, there's guys on here paying £8 a month.

I have more than enough weight for all rowing movements, presses etc. I have more than enough weight for every isolation movement as well.

I suppose i should increase the weight and go for 5x5, but why would this be better than making progress in the 10-12 rep range?
Original post by Doob
I have more than enough weight for all rowing movements, presses etc. I have more than enough weight for every isolation movement as well.

I suppose i should increase the weight and go for 5x5, but why would this be better than making progress in the 10-12 rep range?

Use a 1rm calculator. Increasing a lift from a 3 reps to 4 or a 4 to 5 requires a smaller jump in strength than a jump of 11 to 12 and hence is easier. Also anecdotally high rep work relies a lot on cardio endurance and often how I'm feeling on the day.

I've lifted for 9 months before an old injury (not my fault) stopped me.. I bench, row, CGBP a lot more than 75kg for reps. Not bragging, just showing what progress is possible :smile:

You can't squat as you have not enough weight... however lunges and split squats etc would be good if you don't do them currently.

3x5 and 5x5 work for beginners, there's a reason just about every beginner routine has them :smile:
Reply 23
Use a 1rm calculator. Increasing a lift from a 3 reps to 4 or a 4 to 5 requires a smaller jump in strength than a jump of 11 to 12 and hence is easier. Also anecdotally high rep work relies a lot on cardio endurance and often how I'm feeling on the day.

I've lifted for 9 months before an old injury (not my fault) stopped me.. I bench, row, CGBP a lot more than 75kg for reps. Not bragging, just showing what progress is possible :smile:

You can't squat as you have not enough weight... however lunges and split squats etc would be good if you don't do them currently.

3x5 and 5x5 work for beginners, there's a reason just about every beginner routine has them :smile:

Do you know any accurate 1RM calculators? Most i have heard have way too much variance.
Reply 24
Original post by Doob
time under tension is a myth with no scientific proof that it works, you dont see ronnie coleman bothering with time under tension.

That is nonsense, science is there to be proven wrong. There are numerous phenomenons that science is against yet it works.

Take a look at big ramy never seen him lift a big weight, yet he has become bigger out of nowhere than a prime ronnie in 3 years.
Original post by AMG44
That is nonsense, science is there to be proven wrong. There are numerous phenomenons that science is against yet it works.

Take a look at big ramy never seen him lift a big weight, yet he has become bigger out of nowhere than a prime ronnie in 3 years.

Time under tension isn't a myth that much I agree with you - hence why nobody trains 1rm only.

You can't be serious about the guys who stand on stage at the Olympia. The rules of the super enhanced do not apply to natties.

If you were on that much gear you'd be enormous if you had a decent diet and programme. However Ramy is genetic elite + gear by the bucket and hence is enormous.
Reply 26
Time under tension isn't a myth that much I agree with you - hence why nobody trains 1rm only.

You can't be serious about the guys who stand on stage at the Olympia. The rules of the super enhanced do not apply to natties.

If you were on that much gear you'd be enormous if you had a decent diet and programme. However Ramy is genetic elite + gear by the bucket and hence is enormous.

I was trying to elude from steroid talk but 'Doob' did have to mention Ronnie and I was giving a comparison of the two athletes and their training methodology.

Actually it can be quite difficulty to achieve a pump with low volume training, People prospective on things are quite wrong. Many power lifters actually have poor chests due to predominantly strength training.
Reply 27
Original post by AMG44

'big is not strong, strong is strong' Louie Simmons
Reply 28
Original post by Doob
'big is not strong, strong is strong' Louie Simmons

You did not respond to my original post though on what you wanted to achieve. size or strength.

You just saw a certain point, didn't agree with it, and went on to tell me TUT doesn't work.
Reply 29
Original post by AMG44
You did not respond to my original post though on what you wanted to achieve. size or strength.

You just saw a certain point, didn't agree with it, and went on to tell me TUT doesn't work.

watch these from start to finish

[video="youtube;43xvadbgXQw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43xvadbgXQw&feature=player_detailpage#t=38[/video]
Reply 30
[video="youtube;_LcjjOvU0A0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_LcjjOvU0A0#t=50[/video]
Original post by AMG44

Actually it can be quite difficulty to achieve a pump with low volume training, People prospective on things are quite wrong. Many power lifters actually have poor chests due to predominantly strength training.

Pump training doesn't necessarily mean mass growth. Doing sets of 20 for curlz will lead to an agonising pump however will achieve very little. The whole pump thing comes from guys on gear, well at least some of it does.

And nah, only if you're unlucky/ doing it wrong do you get a poor chest from bench, pausing it for most people is sufficient to get chest activation. That said no powerlifter is doing purely bench for their chest and all the strong as hell ones have a good chest.
Reply 32
Pump training doesn't necessarily mean mass growth. Doing sets of 20 for curlz will lead to an agonising pump however will achieve very little. The whole pump thing comes from guys on gear, well at least some of it does.

And nah, only if you're unlucky/ doing it wrong do you get a poor chest from bench, pausing it for most people is sufficient to get chest activation. That said no powerlifter is doing purely bench for their chest and all the strong as hell ones have a good chest.

the fact that he brought the 'pump' into this argument as a factor for hypertrophy says enough about his knowledge on this subject, let me guess, he thinks more blood in a muscle causes the cells to burst lol?
Reply 33

Original post by Doob
the fact that he brought the 'pump' into this argument as a factor for hypertrophy says enough about his knowledge on this subject, let me guess, he thinks more blood in a muscle causes the cells to burst lol?

I knew this would be the next response.

Tell me are you not pumping blood into your muscle when doing strength training?

You do relies that powerlifting athletes use techniques to take stress off the muscles to move more weight. This is highlighted in bench and squat variations.

If the different training methods do not have a direct correspondence with how the two different athletes (bodybuilder/powerlifter) look then tell me TUT does not work.
Reply 34
Original post by AMG44

Tell me are you not pumping blood into your muscle when doing strength training?

You do relies that powerlifting athletes use techniques to take stress off the muscles to move more weight. This is highlighted in bench and squat variations.

If the different training methods do not have a direct correspondence with how the two different athletes (bodybuilder/powerlifter) look then tell me TUT does not work.

No, they use techniques to put joints into mechanically stronger positions, so the muscles are able to exert a greater force combined.

Dave Tate was an elite powerlifter, I dont think he gave a **** about TUT.

Reply 35
Original post by Doob
No, they use techniques to put joints into mechanically stronger positions, so the muscles are able to exert a greater force combined.

Dave Tate was an elite powerlifter, I dont think he gave a **** about TUT.

Your disagreeing with my comment yet it in line with Lyle McDonnell 's opinion on the matter. :L

LoL he was also a bodybuilder you dimwit.

I can't even be bother to respond to you anymore.
Reps?

for me progress is quite fast. Last year I did 3 and this year in have managed to boost that number to 5!

feeling good about myself
Original post by AMG44

Original post by AMG44

Doob isn't helping our discussion lol. I'm ignoring him as I chat with you.

Blood into muscles means nothing, jogging pumps blood into the muscle etc. Gaining muscle is "damaging" muscle fibres and their hypertophy is response.

The powerlifting variant of the squat and bench are indeed to move more weight, but again you ain't seeing big numbers being moved with poor quads due the increased hamstring involvement in the low bar squat or a poor chest due to more shoulder and tricep in the powerlifting style of bench etc.

The difference in physique is "balancing" their physique, often bf% etc. That said any good bodybuilder will be strong and probably not dissimilarly strong to a powerlifter of a similar size.

TUT - you need TUT but 4 sec negatives etc is useless in a context with no progressive overload. You need progressive overload no matter what your goal is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by AMG44
Your disagreeing with my comment yet it in line with Lyle McDonnell 's opinion on the matter. :L

LoL he was also a bodybuilder you dimwit.

I can't even be bother to respond to you anymore.

dave tate is a bodybuilder lmao?
Reply 39
Original post by Doob
dave tate is a bodybuilder lmao?
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_evolution_of_dave_tate

since he joined westside he has just gotten fat. :L

Quick Reply

Latest