The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Concerns About Racism In Kent

Some people may be aware of this new 'political party' called Britain First. This party scares me to no end, they claim not to be fascist yet they go around to mosques and Muslim people's houses harassing them and belittling their religion. I am not Muslim, I'm not religious in any way, but quite frankly I'm scared to move to an area where this party seems to have a lot of support. On their Facebook page they have frequently made posts about their new 'Medway Defence League' or something similarly as stupid and just now I've seen a video of people in Medway trying to stop a new mosque being built. I understand people have their views and it's ok to want a new mosque and it's ok to be against it but to address people in this harassing and threatening manner is horrible. In the video they're hiding behind women's rights (which they're really trying to push is the real reason they don't want the mosque to be built) but it is clear they are very intolerant people. I've firmed Kent and luckily my course is based on the Canterbury campus, but I'm a little uneasy about moving to Kent now with all this Britain First nonsense. I know that unfortunately there is racism everywhere, but I'm just wondering if Kent is a predominately intolerant area and whether anything like this happens at the university...?
Reply 1
Never been to Kent but these groups ship members from all over the country to their rallies to make themselves seem more popular so I wouldn't be concerned
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by amarabennington
Some people may be aware of this new 'political party' called Britain First. This party scares me to no end, they claim not to be fascist yet they go around to mosques and Muslim people's houses harassing them and belittling their religion. I am not Muslim, I'm not religious in any way, but quite frankly I'm scared to move to an area where this party seems to have a lot of support. On their Facebook page they have frequently made posts about their new 'Medway Defence League' or something similarly as stupid and just now I've seen a video of people in Medway trying to stop a new mosque being built. I understand people have their views and it's ok to want a new mosque and it's ok to be against it but to address people in this harassing and threatening manner is horrible. In the video they're hiding behind women's rights (which they're really trying to push is the real reason they don't want the mosque to be built) but it is clear they are very intolerant people. I've firmed Kent and luckily my course is based on the Canterbury campus, but I'm a little uneasy about moving to Kent now with all this Britain First nonsense. I know that unfortunately there is racism everywhere, but I'm just wondering if Kent is a predominately intolerant area and whether anything like this happens at the university...?

Kent's a lovely area - don't let biased things you read put you off :tongue:
Reply 3

I assume these groups are all just working class football hooligan types, doubt many of them are educated therefore you should be fairly safe around the uni campus :tongue:

Having been at the Canterbury campus for 4 years and been friends with a lot people all across the ethnic spectrum as it were, I've not come across extremely rare instances of racial abuse. Certainly not on the university campus - it would take a special form of idiot to do so there, considering how you're walking past people of different race and background all the time. The only instances I've known were in town - it was 'only' verbal abuse on a night out, from local people. People were visibly surprised this and I wouldn't say it's at all common and as you say, it could happen anywhere. I can't speak for other areas of Kent and I haven't been to Medway. Kent (especially Canterbury) is known for being one of the safest universities in the country if that also puts your mind at ease.
I live in Medway and it is not a racist place in the majority. There are certain areas where there are racists but they are in such a minority and in places such as Chatham which are nowhere near Canterbury. They have probably hyped up the amount of support they have in stopping the mosque from being built. Medway is actually quite a multicultural area such as there is both a mosque and a gurdwara (Sikh place of worship) within a couple of miles of my house. I should not worry about this at all as it is unlikely to affect you. I hope you enjoy life at Kent.
Original post by Tom78
I assume these groups are all just working class football hooligan types, doubt many of them are educated therefore you should be fairly safe around the uni campus :tongue:

They certainly look like the football hooligan type and they are all very inarticulate and don't express their stupid fascist views very well in any case! :curious: Thanks for replying!
Original post by mrfletch
Never been to Kent but these groups ship members from all over the country to their rallies to make themselves seem more popular so I wouldn't be concerned

Original post by Caitlin_3008
Kent's a lovely area - don't let biased things you read put you off :tongue:

Original post by Tom78

Original post by Champagne Supernova
Having been at the Canterbury campus for 4 years and been friends with a lot people all across the ethnic spectrum as it were, I've not come across extremely rare instances of racial abuse. Certainly not on the university campus - it would take a special form of idiot to do so there, considering how you're walking past people of different race and background all the time. The only instances I've known were in town - it was 'only' verbal abuse on a night out, from local people. People were visibly surprised this and I wouldn't say it's at all common and as you say, it could happen anywhere. I can't speak for other areas of Kent and I haven't been to Medway. Kent (especially Canterbury) is known for being one of the safest universities in the country if that also puts your mind at ease.

Original post by GemmaConlin
I live in Medway and it is not a racist place in the majority. There are certain areas where there are racists but they are in such a minority and in places such as Chatham which are nowhere near Canterbury. They have probably hyped up the amount of support they have in stopping the mosque from being built. Medway is actually quite a multicultural area such as there is both a mosque and a gurdwara (Sikh place of worship) within a couple of miles of my house. I should not worry about this at all as it is unlikely to affect you. I hope you enjoy life at Kent.

Thankyou all for replying, glad I made this thread as all the messages have been very reassuring. It honestly baffles me that people still think and act the way those people do. So thanks, I'm excited again now about (hopefully) studying at Kent come September! :smile:
Reply 8
Thankyou all for replying, glad I made this thread as all the messages have been very reassuring. It honestly baffles me that people still think and act the way those people do. So thanks, I'm excited again now about (hopefully) studying at Kent come September! :smile:

Glad to hear it :yep: I'm sure you'll love it there.
Reply 9
Hey, it seems like you got your answer but i thought ill just confirm it. Iv been at Kent university since 2011 and its very multicultural and i have never come across any racism during my time there. While i do think Kent as a county is less tolerant than London or other cities, Canterbury is a student town with modern values and ideas. Plus everyone is accepting of one another(in my experience), e.g the Mosque and the Church are next to one another on campus.

You have nothing to worry about. Enjoy Canterbury, it a lovely town and Kent's a great university(especially socially)

All the best
Reply 10
It's good that you raised this issue!
I'm an atheist and have never cared about religion.Even so I was told to brace myself at the prospect of being called ''paki''.
Some people my parents know live in Kent and said there can be some racism around the area at night.
Pff,my father even told me to shave everyday! -_- (It's not that I like to grow a beard,but I like to shave once every 4-5 days.)

I plan to stay on campus as much as possible,but I think I'll have to go to the Canterbury centre nearly everyday given that I wish to take the 'self-catered' option! So..yeah,I hope I don't stumble upon racist individuals on my way there.
To be honest,racism is the only thing that is bugging me.
I've never been a victim and have always considered everybody as my equals.
Original post by Ngoode
Hey, it seems like you got your answer but i thought ill just confirm it. Iv been at Kent university since 2011 and its very multicultural and i have never come across any racism during my time there. While i do think Kent as a county is less tolerant than London or other cities, Canterbury is a student town with modern values and ideas. Plus everyone is accepting of one another(in my experience), e.g the Mosque and the Church are next to one another on campus.

You have nothing to worry about. Enjoy Canterbury, it a lovely town and Kent's a great university(especially socially)

All the best

Thanks, I'm glad all the responses have been encouraging and reassuring. Glad to be moving somewhere with modern values!
Original post by rile06
It's good that you raised this issue!
I'm an atheist and have never cared about religion.Even so I was told to brace myself at the prospect of being called ''paki''.
Some people my parents know live in Kent and said there can be some racism around the area at night.
Pff,my father even told me to shave everyday! -_- (It's not that I like to grow a beard,but I like to shave once every 4-5 days.)

I plan to stay on campus as much as possible,but I think I'll have to go to the Canterbury centre nearly everyday given that I wish to take the 'self-catered' option! So..yeah,I hope I don't stumble upon racist individuals on my way there.
To be honest,racism is the only thing that is bugging me.
I've never been a victim and have always considered everybody as my equals.

I'm an atheist too. Well I hope you don't come across any racism! It's sad that you should have to take these precautions though, it's so ridiculous that racism/prejudice/hegemony etc' still exists! Everybody should be considering everyone as equals.
Univeirsty of Kent is a very racist school . If you are black they will assume many things such as murderer , drug dealer anything that comes to mind . If they think you look like one they will treat you differently and take you off their premises .. they don’t care about black people. I recommend no one go this university.
I’ve been to Kent and I felt very out of place, couldn’t wait to get out of there. I guess it depends on where you stay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending